Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 09:21 AM

59 posts, read 69,913 times

Advertisements

@Rorytmeadows, your post just made me cry! I live in Boston, where I'm disturbingly accustomed to hearing drivers honking like madmen if someone in a wheelchair isn't fast enough when crossing at a stop sign, cashiers ignoring you other than mumbling how much you have to pay, grown men in suits literally shoving women out of their way so they can catch a train...I am planning a move to Charleston and looking forward to the slower, gentler way of doing things. Your post reinforces exactly what is missing in the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 10:57 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,181,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightLights9 View Post
@Rorytmeadows, your post just made me cry! I live in Boston, where I'm disturbingly accustomed to hearing drivers honking like madmen if someone in a wheelchair isn't fast enough when crossing at a stop sign, cashiers ignoring you other than mumbling how much you have to pay, grown men in suits literally shoving women out of their way so they can catch a train...I am planning a move to Charleston and looking forward to the slower, gentler way of doing things. Your post reinforces exactly what is missing in the Northeast.
Don't get your heart set on that... I let an elder cross the street downtown, he was actually half way across so I stopped to avoid hitting him, and the person behind me laid on the horn. I hear the horn a lot around here, moreso than I did in the Charlotte, Nc area and my home state of Maine. I just don't want you to get here and think we live in some Mayberry town. Here pedestrians are not considered a priority, whereas in New England I think there is much more consideraton to pedestrians. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE living here but it truly wasn't what I imagined "southern" would be. You won't regret moving but I just don't want you to expect something different than what it is.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:50 PM

59 posts, read 69,913 times
Thanks for the tip, Sprouts! I definitely get that Charleston is still a city and not a small town, just its smaller size in comparison to Boston will be nice respite from the frantic, dog eat dog, kick your mother for a step ahead mentality that is so rampant in the big cities up here. I grew up in a city similar in size to Charleston (Erie, PA) and couldn't wait to live in a big city, but now that I've been there, done that and have solid career experience under my belt, I want to slow down again, but without lake effect snow!

Old 04-17-2014, 07:51 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,956,375 times
Agreed with Sprouts.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:34 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times
The honking issue does seem a bit more recent and probably will grow some as we move through warmer weather.. more out of town folks on our roads. But as a whole... the honking thing remains an outlier and not typical of most traffic. I've heard a horn twice in the last month. One was because a car was being a jerk and forcing its way into a line of traffic and another just because someone just wasn't moving fast enough I guess. The first one I understand.. the latter not so much.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:04 AM

Honestly....I think you'll love it here. It is a Port town so you get the feel of that plus the weather is to die for (if you don't like snow but like hot and humid). We know a family that moved from just outside of Boston and I think they really enjoy it here. I needed the coast, not for the beaches but for the port and grittiness. One thing I don't see much of is a working wharf....I need to explore this a bit. My husband got an offer to move back home to the Portland Maine area and we turned it down....that says something. We aren't looking for a way out and can't imagine that we ever will. I'll always have that longing for "home" but I truly consider this a wonderful place to live....

Old 04-18-2014, 03:19 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
The honking issue does seem a bit more recent and probably will grow some as we move through warmer weather.. more out of town folks on our roads. But as a whole... the honking thing remains an outlier and not typical of most traffic. I've heard a horn twice in the last month. One was because a car was being a jerk and forcing its way into a line of traffic and another just because someone just wasn't moving fast enough I guess. The first one I understand.. the latter not so much.
Unfortunately, I still have a tendency to honk at stupid people who drive cars.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:40 PM

326 posts, read 498,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprouts View Post
Don't get your heart set on that... I let an elder cross the street downtown, he was actually half way across so I stopped to avoid hitting him, and the person behind me laid on the horn. I hear the horn a lot around here, moreso than I did in the Charlotte, Nc area and my home state of Maine. I just don't want you to get here and think we live in some Mayberry town. Here pedestrians are not considered a priority, whereas in New England I think there is much more consideraton to pedestrians. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE living here but it truly wasn't what I imagined "southern" would be. You won't regret moving but I just don't want you to expect something different than what it is.
on that note, i find that people tend not to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks, and i often have the guy behind me honking when i do (or even drivers honking at pedestrians using crosswalks). i tend to think that might be out of towners who don't get city life. but maybe it's locals too?

Old 04-18-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDWILLY View Post
on that note, i find that people tend not to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks, and i often have the guy behind me honking when i do (or even drivers honking at pedestrians using crosswalks). i tend to think that might be out of towners who don't get city life. but maybe it's locals too?
I'm not sure. In my home state (sorry but I had to say it...) it was against the law to not allow pedestrians to cross so we tend to be very mindful of pedestrian's right-of-way. I tend to think it is locals that are too busy trying to get where they need to be but I could be very wrong. Even our subdivision is terrible about allowing people to cross in the crosswalk; not sure if all subdivisions have this issue. Kids can be standing in the crosswalk for some time and cars will just blow by. I can't imagine that people are trying to be jerks, I just don't think they give much thought to it.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:15 PM

326 posts, read 498,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprouts View Post
I'm not sure. In my home state (sorry but I had to say it...) it was against the law to not allow pedestrians to cross so we tend to be very mindful of pedestrian's right-of-way. I tend to think it is locals that are too busy trying to get where they need to be but I could be very wrong. Even our subdivision is terrible about allowing people to cross in the crosswalk; not sure if all subdivisions have this issue. Kids can be standing in the crosswalk for some time and cars will just blow by. I can't imagine that
people are trying to be jerks, I just don't think they give much thought to it.

i was trying to be diplomatic since i'm not from here. yeah, it's pretty bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area