Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 07:25 AM

260 posts, read 299,663 times

Advertisements

I lived in Charleston metro for most of my life having moved from Baldwin, NY in high school although i spent 3rd grade year in Summerville. I lived in San Antonio, TX, Biloxi, MS, and also Orange, CT. I live in Greenwood, SC now. Charleston is San Francisco compared to Greenwood and most of the upstate for that matter. And for the person who said Summerville is conservative. No, not by a long shot if anything it's moderate . Most of my teachers in 3rd grade were "ex-hippies". My 3rd grade classroom was "The Universe" completely black room decorated stars and planets. I don't remember any of my "LL BEAN" wearing teachers or classmates talking about the bible or Intelligent Design at all. Here in Greenwood every other word is about religion or about some evangelical function happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 08:10 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,182,083 times
Very relative. Yes, I'd say more liberal than many other SC towns/cities but still very conservative in comparison to other city/towns.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:50 AM

259 posts, read 454,177 times
Yup,its all relative to where one moves from.

FWIW, charleston county voted for Obama 2x, by more than 1percentage point which is
a lot for SC. Its one of the few reliably blue counties in the state. None of the adjacent counties
voted Dem.

Downtown and the surrounding close in hoods are laidback and Park Circle is too.

Folly Beach is the only town that feels big L liberal in the whole state to me.

Last edited by driftaway123; 04-16-2014 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: where not wear duh!

Old 04-16-2014, 09:13 AM

207 posts, read 273,030 times
Well this administration has caused an exodus of job creating businesses to SC. So I guess you could say it has been good for SC!

Old 04-16-2014, 09:34 AM

12,914 posts, read 18,756,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fish View Post
Well this administration has caused an exodus of job creating businesses to SC. So I guess you could say it has been good for SC!
Obama slapped a big tariff on tires imported from China. Guess what.

Most Popular Job By State [MAP] - Business Insider

Old 04-16-2014, 10:42 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
To second that motion: Michelin Opens New South Carolina Manufacturing Plant -- GREENVILLE, S.C., Dec. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --

Old 04-16-2014, 12:18 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,353,565 times
OP... the bottom line is you'll be just fine here. You're looking at two pages of hair splitting over being fire engine red, vermillion, lava, scarlet, etc. Yes downtown has liberal voters.. you'll see that in the Coastal Conservation League that's fighting the cruise ships and the 526 expansion. Almost all of the suburbs around downtown are typically conservative or libertarian.

With that said, there's a difference between social and fiscal conservatism. I see more fiscal conservatives and social libertarians here than in most parts of SC.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:27 PM

116 posts, read 183,863 times
Thanks for all the input. I absolutely agree that it is all relative and that regardless of how you look at it, Charleston is more conservative than here in Boston. I am just so unhappy here as families like mine are the dwindling minority. I also agree about there being a bit of a difference between being fiscally conservative and socially conservative. I am looking for alot more socially conservative that what I have around me here. If I hadn't already fallen in love with the place, I would probably start looking elsewhere. BUT I have fallen in love especially with the beach areas. I have lived near the beach my whole life and couldn't imagine not being able to smell the salt air.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:42 PM

260 posts, read 299,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by efipoliRN View Post
Thanks for all the input. I absolutely agree that it is all relative and that regardless of how you look at it, Charleston is more conservative than here in Boston. I am just so unhappy here as families like mine are the dwindling minority. I also agree about there being a bit of a difference between being fiscally conservative and socially conservative. I am looking for alot more socially conservative that what I have around me here. If I hadn't already fallen in love with the place, I would probably start looking elsewhere. BUT I have fallen in love especially with the beach areas. I have lived near the beach my whole life and couldn't imagine not being able to smell the salt air.
If by social conservative you mean no gays...No, there are same sex couples who live openly without a problem and have kids in public schools. Some serve on school boards and serve PTA also..

Old 04-16-2014, 03:02 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,353,565 times
I think you'll still find that the area is more socially conservative than Boston, but it's not as socially conservative as the western portion of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area