Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:21 PM

326 posts, read 498,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post

Attractions... depends on what you like. I always think everyone should visit Angel Oak on Johns Island. It's on the wrong side of the city if want to spend time in Mt P and your time is limited though.
do a late afternoon early evening trip to angel oak and then head to nearby wild olive restaurant (but make a reservation). my favorite restaurant here. italian--great pastas, seafoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 08:30 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
Why are gated communities not allowed? That's a little bizarre.

Where I live now, the condos are completely surrounded by gates and the main entrance closes at night.
That's a little bizarre!

Couldn't resist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-16-2014, 08:31 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
There are gated communities in Mt. Pleasant. Dunes West, Briar's Creek, Raven's Run, Victory Pointe, Romain Retreat, parts of Charleston National, to name a few. You won't have any trouble finding a gated home in your price range if that's a feature that's important to you.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:40 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
You won't have any trouble finding a gated home in your price range if that's a feature that's important to you.
A little bizarre!

Old 04-16-2014, 09:07 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,956,375 times
What's the bizarre part?

Old 04-16-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
A little bizarre!
Most people find and buy homes that aren't exactly what they're looking for. I ask my buyers and seller's to write down three things that the must have and three things they want. 99% of the time we will meet all of their needs, 70% of the time we will meet their wants. The OP didn't specify if a gated community was a NEED, so if that's important to the OP, then the OP can certainly have that need/want met. Nothing bizarre about answering a question.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:18 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,503,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
What's the bizarre part?
I'm wondering the same thing. If a couple people mentioned very few or no gated communities aren't in MP when homeowners pay extreme amounts for their homes, I would call that bizarre.

Please tell us you're reasoning that you are joking about it joy

Old 04-17-2014, 06:05 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
There are several gates...firmly in the town limits of MtP.
Yes there are gated communities. Dunes West, Ravens Run, and a fairly hidden one off Rte 41. There may even be one or two more that I am unaware of.

I am fairly sure MTP no longer allows gated communities. Charleston County does so yes one could be built and have an MTP address but it is in the county and will be serviced by the county, not by MTP.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:49 AM

24 posts, read 39,173 times
Wow, thank you for all your suggestions! I'll be adding everything to my spreadsheet so I can plan our trip

To clarify, I'm not really looking for a gated community. I was mostly just concerned with how easily I'd be able to check out different neighborhoods. I think I incorrectly assumed when I was looking at houses online, that if it showed there were a lot of amenities and a HOA, it was probably a gated community. That kind of thing is not all that common in PA, so it's a bit unfamiliar to me. Plus, it seems like a lot of the developments where my parents live around Bluffton and HHI are gated, so that's probably how I got that idea in my head.

It's cool to see a few people from the Philly area! I'm originally from the Lehigh Valley, but my husband and I bought our house in Ardmore a several years back and have spent most of that time fixing it up. We've done most of the work ourselves. Right now we're trying to decide if we want to put even more money into the house (which at this point we won't get back if we sell) and stay here, move to a newer house somewhere more affordable in PA, or move somewhere else entirely. It's a tough decision.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_w View Post
Wow, thank you for all your suggestions! I'll be adding everything to my spreadsheet so I can plan our trip

To clarify, I'm not really looking for a gated community. I was mostly just concerned with how easily I'd be able to check out different neighborhoods. I think I incorrectly assumed when I was looking at houses online, that if it showed there were a lot of amenities and a HOA, it was probably a gated community. That kind of thing is not all that common in PA, so it's a bit unfamiliar to me. Plus, it seems like a lot of the developments where my parents live around Bluffton and HHI are gated, so that's probably how I got that idea in my head.

It's cool to see a few people from the Philly area! I'm originally from the Lehigh Valley, but my husband and I bought our house in Ardmore a several years back and have spent most of that time fixing it up. We've done most of the work ourselves. Right now we're trying to decide if we want to put even more money into the house (which at this point we won't get back if we sell) and stay here, move to a newer house somewhere more affordable in PA, or move somewhere else entirely. It's a tough decision.
Most of the communities will not be gated. You can go see 95% of the Trident area without a gate pass.

Another thing a Realtor would be willing to offer you is a "tour guide" day (or half day) in which they show you around the different areas. I do this quite often and it helps bring a little clarity to your trip. I find that when people go out and tour themselves, they end up spending most of the day frustrated, trying to find neighborhoods, when they find them they can't find the clubhouse or pool, and by the end of the day it's pretty confusing. Just a thought to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area