Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 03:31 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,005,475 times

Advertisements

Do realtors do "caravans" in your area? Up here before the house is shown all the realtors come to see it - usually a bunch travel together - so they can market it to their clients.

Your realtor will get lots of feedback from this - overpriced, bedrooms too small, yard too small, etc., etc., which should be passed on to you.

Your realtor should also be passing on comments from the showings - what people liked, what they didn't, so any "problem" areas that can be are addressed.

That's the only way you'll know why your house isn't selling - or being shown - feedback....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 06:22 AM

72 posts, read 145,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobhain146 View Post
My family and I are planning on moving into Cane Bay. Can you
Tell me a little about the community And the schools. We are moving down from CT as soon as out house sells. We will be paying cash for the new house. Really looking for a 4 to 5 bedroom with a 3 car garage they seem to be slim chance on getting a house with 3 bay garage. Any other area I should be looking at with great community and schools. I have elementary and middle school aged children. Thanks in advance.
Cane Bay is a convenient neighborhood to live in. Having a grocery store and all three schools in the neighborhood has it's perks. I also find this location to be ideal for getting just about anywhere. You are centrally located and it is a straight shot into North Charleston. Some people might find the drive down state road to be lengthy. It really depends on what you are used to. The area is growing a lot. I moved near here about twelve years ago and can not believe how much things have changed.

That being said, the schools in Dorchester county do have higher ratings and with them come higher property taxes. We paid cash for our home also and stayed in Berkeley county for the lower property taxes. If you want to stay in Berkeley county, I would say Cane Bay schools are the better choice. In Dorchester county transplants tend to go with Wescott. I personally find the entire Oakbrook area (that section of Summerville) to be very congested and lacking the infrastructure to keep up with the growth. We lived in the Bridges of Summerville and it was nice, but the area had a lot of petty crime and the nearby grocery was horribly busy.

I hear nice things about Legend Oaks and IMO the area is gorgeous and serene. We almost purchased a home in Branch Creek. The proximity to downtown Summerville is nice and there are rumors of a health food grocery being put in what will replace the now eyesore of an old shopping center near by. There are crime hot spots pretty close by, however, to be concerned with.

If we had to do it over again, we would have probably purchased a historic home in downtown Summerville.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Do realtors do "caravans" in your area? Up here before the house is shown all the realtors come to see it - usually a bunch travel together - so they can market it to their clients.

Your realtor will get lots of feedback from this - overpriced, bedrooms too small, yard too small, etc., etc., which should be passed on to you.

Your realtor should also be passing on comments from the showings - what people liked, what they didn't, so any "problem" areas that can be are addressed.

That's the only way you'll know why your house isn't selling - or being shown - feedback....
The only feedback we ever get is that the home is gorgeous, they just like another layout better. Unfortunately we can't do much about that.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:38 AM

10 posts, read 25,963 times
Thank you. We are so confused I looked up can't bay on this message board and only found old threads which is why I posted a new one. I don't know if we should rent first then purchase which seems logical I just don't want to keep packing and unpacking.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:40 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,423,385 times
Quote:
My family and I are planning on moving into Cane Bay. Can you
Tell me a little about the community And the schools. We are moving down from CT as soon as out house sells. We will be paying cash for the new house. Really looking for a 4 to 5 bedroom with a 3 car garage they seem to be slim chance on getting a house with 3 bay garage. Any other area I should be looking at with great community and schools. I have elementary and middle school aged children. Thanks in advance.
I have no issue with where youre currently looking ....but not knowing your price range nor commute issues....and sensing that schools are important ... I would be looking in Mount Pleasant and Daniel Island. Three car garages are rare except at the very high end...if its all that important .... build.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Thank you. We are so confused I looked up can't bay on this message board and only found old threads which is why I posted a new one. I don't know if we should rent first then purchase which seems logical I just don't want to keep packing and unpacking.
Are you set on Summerville? I grew up on James Island and would highly recommend that area or even Johns Island if you like it a bit more rural. Both are really close to downtown Charleston and Folly Beach and have so many great features.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
I have no issue with where youre currently looking ....but not knowing your price range nor commute issues....and sensing that schools are important ... I would be looking in Mount Pleasant and Daniel Island. Three car garages are rare except at the very high end...if its all that important .... build.
I second Mount Pleasant. But Daniel Island has a certain flavor to it that might not appeal to everyone.

On another note, the Daniel Island company is currently working on a master planned community not far from us called Carnes Crossroads. We drive by it every day and it is getting built up quickly. We looked at a few houses there, but decided it was important to have the amenities available right away and, at the time, they only had three model homes up. Looks promising though...

Old 05-27-2014, 07:02 AM

10 posts, read 25,963 times
No not really just that general area. We will be paying cash for our house and would like to keep it around 275K. We do not have jobs yet have enough money set aside to last us a year. But would like jobs ASAP. We would like to keep property taxes low. Good school system and a big community feel. We are very social and like to have people over our friends are our family.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:10 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,978,302 times
I was showing some clients a home in Hanahan yesterday that sounds very similar to your home. This home was perfect and had every possible upgrade imaginable. The home showed like a show piece, and there were probably 5 other homes similar in floor plan and price in this particular neighborhood that had less upgrades. The one valuable slice of feedback they gave me that might be a possible clue as to why someone wouldn't purchase such a house is that everything was already in the home. There was nothing really they could do to make it their own. They couldn't add any value to the home, and the home (in an area that homes are lasting less than 30 on market) had been sitting for over 200 days now.

Sometimes being the cream of the crop in your neighborhood can intimidate buyers. Just a perspective from yesterday I thought I might share with you.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
No not really just that general area. We will be paying cash for our house and would like to keep it around 275K. We do not have jobs yet have enough money set aside to last us a year. But would like jobs ASAP. We would like to keep property taxes low. Good school system and a big community feel. We are very social and like to have people over our friends are our family.
Based on that, I would say you are looking in the right spot. Cane Bay has a lot of transplants and people are always meeting at the playground with their kids. There are little events in the neighborhood throughout the year. There are also a few Facebook groups for the neighborhood and people connect that way. It is crazy how many children are in this neighborhood. You should have seen it during Halloween.

What type of work would you be looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area