U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 10:22 AM

7 posts, read 92,423 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the link. Does anyone know where the best places to shrimp in the Mount Pleasant/Charleston area? Also what are the seasons in the Mount Pleasant/Charleston area? I was told the other day at Crosby's that they may go again this week, which would be out of season in Beaufort, according to that link.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 04:53 PM

1,195 posts, read 2,903,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyJT View Post
Thanks for the link. Does anyone know where the best places to shrimp in the Mount Pleasant/Charleston area? Also what are the seasons in the Mount Pleasant/Charleston area? I was told the other day at Crosby's that they may go again this week, which would be out of season in Beaufort, according to that link.
you can shrimp anytime you want, the only "season" is for baiting but one doesn't need to bait to catch a cooler full of shrimp

this "baiting" thing really hasn't been around that long, you can do just as well on the right tide and with a real bright light at night... the shrimp follow the light

the best way to learn to fish/shrimp/crab is to get out in the water with someone that knows how, and there's no shortage of people like that around here

Old 10-31-2009, 05:50 AM

2 posts, read 22,516 times
Wink Fresh Seafood

How about Geechee Seafood Shem Creek, Old Mt. Pleasant. I was told abou this by a guest that visited Mt. Pleasant a couple of weeks ago. She said she bought them from the boat and that she even was able to water a manatee that was near the dock. She said shrimp was $3.99 a pound there and they took home a bunch when they left. It was outstanding.

We went down last evening past the Village Posthouse Restaurant but it was getting late so we didn't find it last night. The address she gave me was, Oh heck I left the address at work. Might need to post it later. I also have their phone number but not right now. Will let you know. We are leaving to go out to find it this a.m. Couldn't find it on line this morning but will post results tonight.

Also a great place to go shrimping is the James Island Park off the dock there. Just buy a $3.00 net, some chicken necks and anyone there will be happy to show you. It's best to go at mid tide as it is going out. Great results there. We just retired here about two years ago but were stationed here 27 years ago. If you decided to go shrimping drop a note and we'll meet at James Island and give you the Cliff Notes version of shrimping.

Also sustainable seafood is important so be sure you purchase from people like Captain Mark Mahefka. He says that some of the fish he catches are slow growing and some are 30 years + when he catches them. It is important to consider this and those that are fishing our waters to ensure that they are reputable and are protecting species. Fishing laws are meant to protect the limited amount of particular species to ensure they will be available to everyone for years to come.

I have been attending the Culinary Institute of Charleston and what a wonderful place for creative minded chefs. They are an important to the Sustainable Seafood Initiative and offer courses to educate prospective chefs and educate them about proper management.

Enjoy and wish us luck. I'll have the addres this evening.
Sharon

Old 10-31-2009, 05:58 AM

2 posts, read 22,516 times
Default Fresh Seafood Market

I had written about Geechie Seafood Market. One of our guests said they bought fresh Shrimp for $3.99 a couple of weeks ago; heads on. The address she gave me was 248 Magwood Lane and the phone number is 843-708-1295. We're going out this a.m. It is in Old Mt. Pleasant.
The guest to IOP said Duane was there when she saw the Manatee and was able to give it water from a hose. She said it was an amazing site. Also she sent us the photos to prove it.

Have a great day
We're off to get shrimp

Old 07-15-2010, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 9,798 times
Default Fresh shrimp at Shen Creek

Buy local shrimp at 248 Magwood ln, Mt. Pleasant, right down at the old geechie shrimp dock. 843 708 1295 or 860 7046

Old 07-15-2010, 07:22 PM

9,038 posts, read 13,798,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim3310 View Post
I was astounded at the lack of fresh seafood when I got here.
Still am.

I use Crosby's. One on the way to Folly on the right hand side & one at the base of Lockwood on Spring Street in Downtown off 17A.

Mt. Pleasant Seafood also does the Mt. Pleasant Farmers Market on Tuesdays.

jim
Same here. Crosby's is the most conveniently located. Earthfare and Whole Foods also have fresh seafood and sometimes a better selection than Crosby's except they don't carry lobster and Crosby's does but Crosby's prices are more competetive.

Sometimes I use Hucks (I think it is called..haven't been in a long time) on Folly Road in James Island and once looked into the one by the bridge over to Folly Island.

There is also a hidden away place on the road that is perpendicular to the Folly Island / Southern James Island Piggly Wiggly where they have great deals on fresh shrimp. I think the place is owned by a shrimper. I also haven't been in a while. There is a sign out on Folly Rd directing you down the side street along the south side of the Piggly Wiggly. The place is not fancy but the price was right and I ate the shrimp and did not get sick.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 9,763 times
Where can find angel wings shell?

Old 07-19-2010, 09:49 AM

10,543 posts, read 11,611,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
There is also a hidden away place on the road that is perpendicular to the Folly Island / Southern James Island Piggly Wiggly where they have great deals on fresh shrimp. I think the place is owned by a shrimper. I also haven't been in a while. There is a sign out on Folly Rd directing you down the side street along the south side of the Piggly Wiggly. The place is not fancy but the price was right and I ate the shrimp and did not get sick.
That's Backman's Seafood on Sol Legare Rd.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:06 PM

9,038 posts, read 13,798,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
That's Backman's Seafood on Sol Legare Rd.

Oh Thanks. It is on the left as you drive down Sol Legare Rd., right? It looks like a ranch style house as I recall.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:12 AM

10,543 posts, read 11,611,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Oh Thanks. It is on the left as you drive down Sol Legare Rd., right? It looks like a ranch style house as I recall.
That's correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area