U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:49 AM

7 posts, read 76,719 times
Default Fresh Seafood Market

My wife & I made the move from Lexington, KY to Mount Pleasant about 2 weeks ago. We have been in search of a fresh seafood market, one know where the boats are coming in and you can buy seafood from either the boats themselves or a local market that purchases the seafood directly from the boats. We've been told there in one near Shem Creek. Is this the case? If so, what is the name? If not, where can we find suck a market? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 10:16 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,302,241 times
Mt. Pleasant Seafood Company has two stores, one at Shem Creek and the other in the Boone Hall Farms Market on Highway 17. Mt. Pleasant also has a Whole Foods Store that carries fresh fish.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:24 PM

899 posts, read 2,253,549 times
I was astounded at the lack of fresh seafood when I got here.
Still am.

I use Crosby's. One on the way to Folly on the right hand side & one at the base of Lockwood on Spring Street in Downtown off 17A.

Mt. Pleasant Seafood also does the Mt. Pleasant Farmers Market on Tuesdays.

jim

Old 12-10-2007, 05:16 PM

96 posts, read 287,063 times
cherry point on wadmalaw. magwoods on shem creek.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:01 AM

264 posts, read 533,446 times
We get ours from Crosby's on James Island. I grew up with the owners daughter and know the family well. There seafood has always been the best and yes, you can sometimes buy it right off the boat.

Ladson Seafood is also good. It's about as fresh as it gets without being "right off the boat"

Also, there is a small "mom and pop" place in GC that we go to a lot (mostly for shrimp and soft shell crabs). They're pretty good also. I forget the name but its on St. James Blvd not far from "5 points".

Old 12-11-2007, 08:19 PM

899 posts, read 2,253,549 times
Forgot one;
Dockside on Trolley Rd in Summerville near "Beaner's Coffee". Very good.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the info. Keep them coming if you can think of any more. We'll try some of these places out.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:50 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,712,607 times
the freshest crab? Sonny Whites crabs on Johns Island, he also sells to many of the markets here

shrimp? go to the docks in Rockville, I used to work those boats way back when... freshest shrimp and fish you'll find, straight out of the water

lookin for a local market? crosby's, or ladson's seafood, or starvin marvins on dorchester rd not too far from leeds ave

the guys selling shrimp on the side of the road on dorchester rd near the airport have fresh shrimp from the rockville docks too I believe

not a ton of seafood markets because most people just go catch their own around here...

Old 12-15-2007, 07:36 AM

Speaking of catching their own. How would a person go about learning to do that? I think I would enjoy it but have no idea how to begin to learn how to do it. Thanks in advance for the info.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:00 PM

2,512 posts, read 4,688,392 times
http://beaufortusa.com/shrimp.htm

A nice little primer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area