Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 10:30 AM

9 posts, read 18,584 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Mt. Pleasant in June and need to find a good bank. We love the bank in Oklahoma that we are leaving behind and have had experiences with bad banks before so we want to try and avoid that. Need a local bank that processes deposits quickly, friendly customer service, plenty of ATM's, online banking, and competent bankers!! We do NOT want a national bank (such as Bank of America, Chase, Wells Fargo, etc) Any recommendations? Anyone have any personal bankers they can recommend? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 08:55 PM

506 posts, read 1,021,983 times
I like Southcoast Bank. They don't have a lot of ATMs but if you have a Rewards Checking Account and meet some pretty easy qualifications, you get a pretty good interest rate and they will refund any ATM fees nationwide. Here's a link to the info on the Rewards Checking Account:

Personal Reward Checking Account | Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - North Charleston | SC | Southcoast Community Bank

Click on the Qualifications tab to see how to get the good interest rate and avoid any ATM fees. And in case you're wondering, no, I don't work there or know anyone that does .

Old 05-07-2014, 06:30 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,940,832 times
I'm partial to Tidelands Bank, after years of Wells Fargo and B of A, I left the large banks and have a wonderful relationship with my Tidelands. They treat me like family and we have a great working partnership.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:36 AM

3,584 posts, read 4,323,396 times
We use BoA. Almost 98% of our banking is online and we haven't found a local bank that has a better online offering.

Yes, I know you didn't want a national bank, but we did try local before staying with BoA. We have something at Tidelands now, but their staff seem to be unable to get us the basics for our account (atm card, tax information, etc). Their online offering is.. Lacking.

We tried to get home loans from local banks and they wouldn't return calls or meet promised deadlines. Ended up using Lucey mortgage brokers and had excellent service with an incredible 3.25% rate.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:39 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,041,240 times
South Carolina Federal Credit Union is pretty good. That's who we use.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:23 AM

482 posts, read 842,242 times
I use BOA also and it is because of the mobile/internet features that smaller banks lack.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:54 PM

85 posts, read 130,496 times
I like Sun Trust and are happy with them. Good luck on your move. Also try using the search on the forum for other threads on this subject.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:18 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,866,605 times
Wells Fargo. 99% of banking done online and it costs nothing and is as easy as anything else I use on line. We keep saying we are going to move to a local bank but we pay no fees, have all the service and convenience we need...so we stay put.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:39 PM

9 posts, read 18,584 times
thanks everyone! Does anyone have experience with First Citizens or First Federal?

Old 06-19-2014, 10:46 PM

606 posts, read 726,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmphoto View Post
thanks everyone! Does anyone have experience with First Citizens or First Federal?
First Fed is going thru a big merger right now with SCBT. Lots of drama and change. I know not of First Citizens but my favorite is BB&T. It's a big enough regional bank with hundreds of ATMs and well trained staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area