Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 11:04 PM

33 posts, read 37,592 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to Charleston in June, and I am visiting this weekend to find an apartment. I spent today (Friday) in West Ashley and will be looking at Mt Pleasant tomorrow. I'm in my late 20s, single, and will be working at Boeing in North Charleston. I saw some nice places today, and unless I am blown away by Mt Pleasant I will probably go with one of the places in West Ashley, since comparable apartments look to be $200-300 more in Mt Pleasant.

Having said that, I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance about different locations in WA. I've seen the Avondale area recommended as a nice part of town; however, none of the complexes I looked at were in Avondale (is it more houses in that area?) The complexes I liked the most are the points on this map:

https://goo.gl/maps/qVnKO

Or, if you don't want to click, some of them are in the Bee's Ferry Rd area, one is on Glenn McConnell Pkwy, and one is right next to the Citadel Mall. My favorite was probably the Aves at Verdier, which is a brand new complex that is just opening at the intersection of Bee's Ferry and Sanders Rd. The problem is, I don't know the area at all. Like I said, I'm single and don't know anyone in Charleston. So I don't want to end up in a part of town that is all families or all retirees - though I don't need to be in party central either. Can you guys recommend any of the locations on my map over the others? Are any of the complexes I chose in undesirable areas? Is it better to be closer in to Downtown?

Also, an unrelated question: I came across a complex on Daniels Island that looks nice at a reasonable price. Is Daniel's Island mostly older folks, or is it something I should consider as a young single person? It would also give me a shorter commute to N Charleston compared to Mt Pleasant.

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 04:59 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,598,737 times
I think someone will be able to give you more specific guidance on the West Ashley apartments but I think any of the new construction down that way will be safe enough and probably have some other single 20somethings there.
I was going to say Daniel Island isn't all older people but from a 20something perspective it might seem that way. I think there's plenty of families on DI, not sure how many singles in your age group. It's a safe and pleasant place to live though.

Avondale in West Ashley is a great older neighborhood and there's some duplexes in there but the closest 1 bdrm rentals would probably be at Concord on Sycamore rd. That's a nice condo complex though you might find it a little pricey.

Welcome to Charleston and good luck with the apt search!

Old 05-17-2014, 05:50 AM

50 posts, read 93,350 times
While that area does have pretty close access to most of the fun stuff in West Ashley, the traffic can be an absolute bear around rush hour. Just to throw another wrench in the works, there's a new place in Park Circle that is renting apartments now called The Flats at Mixson (Home - The Flats at Mixson). Park Circle is a pretty young area (I'm in my mid 20s) and it would be close to Boeing, about 15-20 minute commute or so on average. Hopefully you find an awesome place!

Old 05-17-2014, 06:03 AM

259 posts, read 454,177 times
The complexes in west ash along glen mcconell are nice and newer.
Would pass on apts along ashley river rd, more rundown and some
have crime issues.

Would not live right next to Citadel Mall, the Hampton apts there are
nice but its a congested location and can get sketchy later at night.

Avondale is mostly bungalows which would equal a roomie for you probably.

Mt P. is more $$ but affordable options exist: Parish Place,
Thickett but they are older with not great maintenance.

Daniel Island is mostly young families and retirees, the apts
are ridonkolously priced, would pass if i were you.

Hope this helps, best of luck!

Welcome to Charleston

Old 05-17-2014, 07:25 AM

657 posts, read 738,852 times
The flats at mixson seem very expensive for the area (with lack of things around). Personally I would want to live closer to "stuff". Like others said, renting a house, a condo in Concord, or some if the complexes in mt pleasant would get you closer to the night life and activities.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:08 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,888 times
I live near the Bees Ferry complexes and they are all pretty nice. All of those were built in the last 2 years since we moved to Charleston. Element at Carolina Bay is another one you might want to consider, also Haddon Hall, which is inside the Grand Oaks development. We used to live at Shadowmoss Pointe, it is slightly older than those but still only a few years old. It's not bad, but for the price I'd recommend one of the others.

The Hampton apartments near Citadel Mall are a great location too, because you're close to 526 and 26, along with 17. There is a neighborhood behind Citadel Mall that has a rough reputation, but the Hampton apartments are on the other side of Citadel Mall and mostly near businesses.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:13 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,888 times
Also, you mentioned you're a young single person... I don't know how young that is, but I'm 28 and although we're married, I wouldn't want to be a young single person living on Daniel Island (I don't want to be a young married couple with no kids living there either). I think it's a cool place for families to live, but my husband and I realized we'd have to leave the island to do most things we'd want to do... just not worth it for us. They do have some cool concerts at the Family Circle center there, but that's usually the only reason we go to Daniel Island. I'd recommend Downtown, West Ashley, or Mt. Pleasant, personally.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:18 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,296,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEB1786 View Post
The flats at mixson seem very expensive for the area (with lack of things around). Personally I would want to live closer to "stuff".
Mixson is almost an island ... and not because it is totally surrounded by water! It's just isolated ... different from the surrounding areas ... and I'd not venture into those areas if I were you.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:46 PM

33 posts, read 37,592 times
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I have a follow-up

I've narrowed things down to the Abberly at West Ashley (next to Citadel Mall) and Avenues at Verdier Pointe, which is at the intersection of Bees Ferry and Sanders Rd, though I'm still thinking about Heron Reserve. Abberly would be really easy commute-wise because it's right next to 526. Google maps has this cool feature where you can look up 'average' traffic conditions for a given day and time, and it shows that it's red (bad traffic) going towards town on both 61 and Glenn McConnell in the mornings, and going away from town in the evenings. These are the two routes I could use if I were to live at Verdier Pointe.

So my question - is this traffic (on 61 and Glenn McConnell) caused by the construction on Bees Ferry, or will it persist even after the widening is finished? And if it will persist, can anyone speak to how bad it is during rush hours?

Thank you!

Old 05-10-2015, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,036 times
Default Follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by munar View Post
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I have a follow-up

I've narrowed things down to the Abberly at West Ashley (next to Citadel Mall) and Avenues at Verdier Pointe, which is at the intersection of Bees Ferry and Sanders Rd, though I'm still thinking about Heron Reserve. Abberly would be really easy commute-wise because it's right next to 526. Google maps has this cool feature where you can look up 'average' traffic conditions for a given day and time, and it shows that it's red (bad traffic) going towards town on both 61 and Glenn McConnell in the mornings, and going away from town in the evenings. These are the two routes I could use if I were to live at Verdier Pointe.

So my question - is this traffic (on 61 and Glenn McConnell) caused by the construction on Bees Ferry, or will it persist even after the widening is finished? And if it will persist, can anyone speak to how bad it is during rush hours?

Thank you!
Hi Manur,

I'm currently in the same boat as you were last year. I'm moving to Charleston in 1 month, and I'm looking for a place to live. It seems most of the properties of interest (mainly based on availability) are in the outer West Ashley area around Bees Ferry Road and Glenn McConnell Pkwy. The Avenues at Verdier Pointe is also at the top of my list, but I'm concerned about traffic during rush hour. I'll be commuting to James Island for work. Do you mind telling me where you decided to live? And if you chose the Avenues at Verdier Pointe, how is the rush hour traffic in the area?

Many thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area