Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 05:26 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,298,929 times

Advertisements

Bring on the shift to new hip neighborhoods and gentrification!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 07:58 AM

259 posts, read 452,412 times
If a positive byproduct of this ordinance results in the emergence of more daytime retail and or non alcohol options, coffeeshops, co-working spots, all the better.

Sure, Upper King is a fun bar crawl but the block should be more than just a drunkfest,diversity of use is a good thing. More encouragement for tech companies like peoplematter to take vacancies should
happen, during the weekday there is too much dead quiet.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftaway123 View Post
If a positive byproduct of this ordinance results in the emergence of more daytime retail and or non alcohol options, coffeeshops, co-working spots, all the better.

Sure, Upper King is a fun bar crawl but the block should be more than just a drunkfest,diversity of use is a good thing. More encouragement for tech companies like peoplematter to take vacancies should
happen, during the weekday there is too much dead quiet.
I agree with this, however, the influx of companies like PeopleMatter isn't sustainable without viable parking. It is already a concern with the influx of hotels. Drive over to the BenefitFocus campus and take a look at the result of a parking dispute with T-Mobile. Horrendous.

I definitely agree that more daytime cafes, specialty shoppes will be nice, but the bar and restaurant scene will continue to expand elsewhere. So King, parts of Meeting and East Bay are out of the question. That leaves Broad, Rutledge, Spring, Cannon, Wagoner Terrace, Morrison, etc. It's already begun to happen because off-King rent is a bit cheaper.

Plus, the complaints are about the noise on the streets. For college kids going to house-parties at 12, calling the police on a noisy house will just put them all onto the streets for a bit of time. Plus, if I was out on the town and the bar I went to closed at 12, if I wasn't exhausted, you'd better believe I'm going to cap the night at one of the ones that stays open until 2.

I'm not sure that this kind of legislation isn't the only thing that can be done. But don't be surprised of the side-effects.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:42 PM

5,267 posts, read 5,197,366 times
Legislation like this will definitely protect the bars that are already there...less late night competition will keep them packed and making money.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:00 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,340,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Legislation like this will definitely protect the bars that are already there...less late night competition will keep them packed and making money.
Haha, true who on the council's getting a kickback from the established bar owners. Must be nice to eliminate competition to preserve your business.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:04 PM

Now only if they can allow the breweries and distilleries to sell after 7, liquor to be sold until 9 and on Sundays, and breweries to operate in commercial zones (this is on the way), we'll be all set!

Old 05-29-2014, 08:02 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,662,150 times
It's the Tech firms helping push the new ordinance Power to the people!

Seekings: High-tech firms behind 12 am bar ordinance push | Haire of the Dog | Charleston City Paper

Old 05-29-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post
It's the Tech firms helping push the new ordinance Power to the people!

Seekings: High-tech firms behind 12 am bar ordinance push | Haire of the Dog | Charleston City Paper
Interesting. I wonder what specific startups they are referring to. I also wonder how idiotic people can be in regards to foresight. Not only is parking a nightmare, but think about this:

Startup tech firms are known for low pay. If you want to avoid the parking, you can live downtown or somewhere close by on the Peninsula to avoid the car situation, but then when you eventually settle down and have kids and still want to utilize the area, you're stuck with crappy schools because you can't afford the private ones on the startup tech firm salary.

Why doesn't anyone think things through? This sounds like the idiots voting to transition Daniel Island to Charleston County without having a brain in their body to think about the obvious problems.

Just because people THINK tech startups make a ton of money, doesn't actually mean they do; or should I say that their employees do. A local company went public not too long ago and most employees just got a mug and a glass. Those can surely be traded in for private school tuition.

Plus, why would a company care about what happens on Friday and Saturday nights? Are they working their employees to death late into the evening?

I like the idea of putting these tech companies back in quieter areas, like the proposed tech lot on Morrison or out where Blue Acorn calls home in Wagener Terrace. Convenient to get to, more area for parking, and they will eventually lead to their own niche areas without driving silly laws and intense property values.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:08 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,875,977 times
I'm not buying that story as the truth. I find it hard to believe that a business would worry what happens after two in the morning. What do they care.

There's more to it...probably something to do with zoning, wanting certain sites, etc.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:28 AM

37,822 posts, read 41,625,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Startup tech firms are known for low pay. If you want to avoid the parking, you can live downtown or somewhere close by on the Peninsula to avoid the car situation, but then when you eventually settle down and have kids and still want to utilize the area, you're stuck with crappy schools because you can't afford the private ones on the startup tech firm salary.
Seems to me that by the time they want to settle down and have kids, they should have moved up into higher-paying positions in-house or taken their skills elsewhere where they can earn more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area