Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 05:56 PM

2,310 posts, read 2,957,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
What about making the old Wando High School a 9th Grade Academy?
The old Wando is currently Jennie Moore Elementary and Laing Middle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 06:48 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,032 times
Dorman High in Spartanburg is like that. They call it Dorman University in slang. Its massive. Easily 3X the size of Wando as far as land mass. Massive parking. Huge football stadium.

BUT....they aren't as concerned about things being "aesthetically pleasing" in the upstate as they are here, so a big parking garage and other big stuff doesn't vibe with the Mount Mayberry crowd that thinks Mt P is still a 5,000 resident fishing village.

The town has a LOT of land locked up for parks, which I say is excessive. They could make a huge public contribution by donating some of that massive land they've set aside for future parks, and give it to the CCSD for a new HS. Hell, the town could help pay for it. God knows we'll drop $50,000,000 on a park in a heartbeat. We need a new HS more than a new park.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:48 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown2You View Post
True. And with Summerville getting a Sams, Costco would be better off moving toward Mt Pleasant.
Summerville and North Charleston are super close together to have 2 Sam's. I think another warehouse store in MTP would be good... either another Costco or a BJ's maybe. But keep the West Ashley Costco... lots of us live here and it's packed for good reasons .

A Nordstrom Rack is super exciting to me. My friend in Virginia loves the one there, and we really need more nicer department stores in the area. I'm not a huge fan of Dick's Sporting Goods though... already lots of smaller sporting goods stores in MTP and the West Ashley Dick's has never impressed me (too pricey $$$).

Old 05-25-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale7 View Post
I can't see some of the pretentious types in MP supporting a Costco. Not in their backyard. In N. Charleston is fine though. lol
Yep. Most of the folks in Mt P vote Republican also, and are staunch gun-rights supporters.

Last month, Palmetto Armory, a gun company/range with a great reputation in Columbia and Greenville, wanted to use a vacant Food Lion to open up it's first Lowcountry store.

Ironically, the uber wealthy golf course community Charleston National protested it. They said that while they support gun rights....this just wasn't where they had it in mind. And said maybe it could be moved to a more industrial area. You know.........where those other people live.

Town council agreed....and said no to more guns in town!

Old 05-25-2014, 06:53 PM

In today's Post and Courier, Mount Pleasant administrator Eric DeMoura called Awendaw residents "freeloaders" because they come down here and "use our roads, use our parks" that they didn't pay for and congest our roads.

Just like last year, when he and Mount P council said no to Costco........because hey, theres one in West Ashley that THOSE people have, that Mt P folks can drive to on THEIR roads, clog THEIR traffic, and stop by THEIR parks and amenities on the way and back.

But....just don't let anyone outside Mt P come use OUR roads and parks, right haha?

I like Mt P. But the pretentious crowd is a bit overbearing at times.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:57 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,317,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
In today's Post and Courier, Mount Pleasant administrator Eric DeMoura called Awendaw residents "freeloaders" because they come down here and "use our roads, use our parks" that they didn't pay for and congest our roads.

Just like last year, when he and Mount P council said no to Costco........because hey, theres one in West Ashley that THOSE people have, that Mt P folks can drive to on THEIR roads, clog THEIR traffic, and stop by THEIR parks and amenities on the way and back.

But....just don't let anyone outside Mt P come use OUR roads and parks, right haha?

I like Mt P. But the pretentious crowd is a bit overbearing at times.
Wow, I saw the term in the title of the article, but didn't realize it was taken from what was said by council. I'd say no to them on principle.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:22 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
The old Wando is currently Jennie Moore Elementary and Laing Middle.
Yes I'm well aware of that but the new schools will be ready for August 2015. .

Old 05-25-2014, 09:28 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
And they just didn't call the residents of Awendaw freeloaders....it was every resident and business in the Charleston County parts that don't pay Mt. Pleasant taxes but really do live in Mt. Pleasant. You should read the whole article.

CD2013 -- do you live in Mt. Pleasant?

Last edited by moneill; 05-25-2014 at 09:45 PM..

Old 05-25-2014, 09:44 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,317,526 times
I don't think it's pretentious necessarily. Politicians have to use passionate language to get things done; just look at the global warming/climate change movement (that is NOT an invitation to talk about the climate change movement; I repeat not an invitation). But yes, I assumed that he meant all of "East Cooper". It makes sense to me, but I why be mean about it. It's not like people that move into unincorporated areas of "East Cooper" are actively avoiding MtP proper. Some don't even know the actual boundaries...

Mount Pleasant proper

Mount Pleasant isn't actually everything from the Cooper River Bridge to Awendaw...

Old 05-25-2014, 09:47 PM

2,310 posts, read 2,957,926 times
The thing about the boundaries for Mt. Pleasant is that, assuming Google Maps is correct, there are probably 3-5k people that aren't technically in Mt. Pleasant. The number may be higher but i don't know, the point is that Mt. Pleasant will probably pass North Charleston in size by 2025.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area