Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 01:38 PM

49 posts, read 92,026 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a house to rent in the Charleston area. I have seen a couple of homes in Ladson, Sc but can't find much research on it. I want a family friendly and safe neighborhood. Can anyone tell me about this town?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 02:38 PM

65 posts, read 108,882 times
While it depends on the neighborhood, generally speaking -- no, it is not one of the safer towns in the greater area. There is some gang activity there, however not as much as North Charleston. Even if you live in a pocket of low crime, your areas of shopping will not be.
In cold hard numbers (not from folks who live there, who may be able to give a better idea) - neighborhood scout puts it in the 12th percentile, meaning that it is safer than only 12% of other towns in america.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:40 PM

Wow! Thank you. How about Summerville? I have heard that there are parts of Summerville that are older homes but Im not concerned about the age of the home. I want a safe neighborhood.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:51 PM

Summerville is mostly OK, and downright nice - but a few parts to avoid - towards Lincolnville and Sangaree. Some of the newer areas being built further out, are low cost and well removed from crime. This is of course, extremely generalized... .

Old 06-02-2014, 04:55 PM

Can you recommend any specific areas to look in?

Old 06-02-2014, 06:09 PM

Cane Bay Plantation and Carnes Crossroads are a few worth checking out. The Cane Bay Schools are outside the D2 district, but are pretty nice nonetheless. These are all northwest of town. Im not sure what the rental market is like out there - if it exists at all. You can start to find some decent homes in very safe neighborhoods in the main area of Summerville, starting around $1200 for a 3BR. If you don't mind a small commute to Ladson (and you will be close to a beautiful lake) - there is always Moncks Corner. I have no idea what the schools are like up there, but the area is very quiet.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:17 PM

Thank you so much!

Old 06-02-2014, 11:20 PM

2,288 posts, read 2,922,974 times
If time is not an issue i'd say wait for the Nexton community to develop.... though i'm not sure on home prices. The gigabit internet looks shiny.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:44 PM

Time is in issue unfortunately. My husband starts a new job on June 12 in Ladson and we are moving this weekend from Illinois. Thats why Im so flustered. I need to find a place to rent and know nothing about the area. I have a property manager willing to help us find a place but she can't give her opinions on the neighborhoods. I just need a home to rent in a safe neighborhood and we are on a tight budget for the first few months because I am going to stay home with the kids thru the summer and look for work once school begins. We have to stay under $1000 a month if possible. I have looked at Branchwood Apartments in Goose Creek and Sawbranch in Summerville but can't seem to find anyone that knows the area well enough. Im completely ok with an apartment for a year if needed.

Last edited by mytwokids0408; 06-03-2014 at 12:00 AM..

Old 06-03-2014, 12:17 AM

2,288 posts, read 2,922,974 times
Not sure about either area since i don't live in either, however, the Branchwood apartments are in a well traveled area and across from a relatively wealthy neighborhood also it's pool looks newer. The Sawbranch apartments are in a relatively quiet area next to a tailer park, it has tennis courts in addition to the pool but the pool looks kinda nasty. This is going off Google earth images from March 1 2014
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area