Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 07:19 AM

4 posts, read 4,245 times

Advertisements

Hi, all! I currently live in Alexandria, VA, and am moving back to the Charleston area after a 10 year absence. When I lived in Mount Pleasant previously, I lived in an apartment complex so I didn't have to do research on finding a house to rent, etc. We just walked in and rented an apartment.

This time, I am looking for a home to rent, and am unsure of the better way of finding a house in this day in age. In the DC area we use realtors to find rental homes. Is that the case in the Charleston area, or do people just rent their homes independently (craigslist, etc)? I want to make sure I cover my bases so I have the most options available.

A little about me: I am a federal employee and will be teleworking from home. My budget is $1,000 - $1,500 a month. I am looking in West Ashley, James Island, and Mt Pleasant.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

Kelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 08:50 AM

Reposted in the "look here first" thread.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:52 AM

82 posts, read 119,640 times
Hi Kelly! Welcome back. DC is such a cool city, but I'm sure you've really missed Charleston. You can definitely use realtors here to find your next rental property - are you looking for a condo/townhome to rent or are you leaning more towards an apartment community?

Old 06-03-2014, 08:59 AM

Hey thanks! I'm definitely looking forward to getting back - my family is in CHS and I've missed them so. I am looking for a house or townhouse - I have two dogs and will be starting a family next year so I want to have a little wiggle room.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:32 AM

82 posts, read 119,640 times
Oh, I bet! I was gone from Charleston for 5 years and my heart was broken! I did travel once a year to DC for work and that was always fun

If you're looking for a house or townhouse, I'd definitely recommend centering your search in West Ashley and maybe James Island. Mt. P is going to be too expensive. Right now on the MLS there are about 10 in West Ashley that will consider pets and are detached houses or townhomes in your budget.

Good luck!!

Old 06-03-2014, 10:45 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,980,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellytheginger View Post
Hi, all! I currently live in Alexandria, VA, and am moving back to the Charleston area after a 10 year absence. When I lived in Mount Pleasant previously, I lived in an apartment complex so I didn't have to do research on finding a house to rent, etc. We just walked in and rented an apartment.

This time, I am looking for a home to rent, and am unsure of the better way of finding a house in this day in age. In the DC area we use realtors to find rental homes. Is that the case in the Charleston area, or do people just rent their homes independently (craigslist, etc)? I want to make sure I cover my bases so I have the most options available.

A little about me: I am a federal employee and will be teleworking from home. My budget is $1,000 - $1,500 a month. I am looking in West Ashley, James Island, and Mt Pleasant.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

Kelly

Craigslist will always have listings available as well. Another website you can check out is Move.com which is sponsored by Realtor.com. You can filter down by home/townhome/apartment etc on move.com and it's a good search tool. Using a Realtor is a good option because we know the area, we can do all the leg work for you, and we offer so much more than just finding you a place. I consider myself a moving "hub", I am consistently asked about flooring, and roofers, and moving companies, and mortgage lenders, and financial counselors, and wedding planners, and doctor's offices, and well, you get the picture.

I know I speak for most of the Realtors here when I say that, it's good to have a Realtor on your side, we really don't mind helping you, I got into this profession because I love to help others, to me, when I buy homes I want someone I trust helping me get in touch with all the other folks I'm going to need after the sale (like a plumber) and I want that person to be on a first name basis with me... so, even if you're just renting for now, it's a good idea to start a relationship with a professional Realtor, they can help you with this move, and all your moves from here on. Heck, I could even help you move to South Africa if you so choose to...

Well, that's my argument for using a Realtor! Good luck with your move, we're all glad you're joining the Charleston family again!!!

Old 06-03-2014, 12:00 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,936 times
Craigslist usually has the best deals but it's worth checking both. I don't know if other Realtors feel this way, but I have no problem helping someone look through Craigslist as well as the MLS. It's all about building relationships. I've done this for 5 or 6 people already this year.

AJ's right about prices too. Mt Pleasant is going to be too expensive especially with dogs. How big a place are you looking for?

Old 06-03-2014, 12:47 PM

Thanks for all the great information! LocalHero I will be looking for at least a two bedroom. I should have mentioned that I am not moving until January, but will definitely be looking in WA or JI and will definitely be using a Realtor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area