Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2014, 10:29 AM

11 posts, read 25,458 times

Advertisements

Is this outfit as pathetic as it appears? Go to their website, no info on hours or how to reach them. Accessibility is next to nil! I easily reached Charleston SPCA and a person answered the phone and had to give me the Summerville number. Their phone recording may as well be nothing, it is so poor! They post adoption pic's with no info. This is crazy that they are running a "business". I am complaining because this is my first impression and I have to deal with them because I am in Dorchester County. I am also complaining. because they aren't making it easy for people to have access to them and the end result helping as many animals as possible. Am I missing something, or is this how they operate? Do they need new board members or are they in transition? Anyone out there with input one way or the other, I would be curious? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 10:55 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,490 times
I don't know what you mean about posting adoption pics with no info. I went to their website, clicked on the "Adoption" tab, and it brought up cats and dogs for adoption with complete info on each one. Here's an example from their site:

http://www.summervillespca.org/?page_id=23

Click on the animal's name and you get complete info on that dog.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:19 AM

288 posts, read 494,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauiaction View Post
Is this outfit as pathetic as it appears? Go to their website, no info on hours or how to reach them. Accessibility is next to nil! I easily reached Charleston SPCA and a person answered the phone and had to give me the Summerville number. Their phone recording may as well be nothing, it is so poor! They post adoption pic's with no info. This is crazy that they are running a "business". I am complaining because this is my first impression and I have to deal with them because I am in Dorchester County. I am also complaining. because they aren't making it easy for people to have access to them and the end result helping as many animals as possible. Am I missing something, or is this how they operate? Do they need new board members or are they in transition? Anyone out there with input one way or the other, I would be curious? Thanks!

I mean, their website has a "Contact Us" page with all their phone numbers, a web form, and their address. Not sure what else you would need....

The hours of operation are also listed under the "About Us" page, and like TealDreamer said, they also have adoption listing with pictures.

I know that the Summerville SPCA isn't as nice, shiny, and new as the Charleston Animal Society, but they are far from the worse animal shelter you could find. They do pretty good work all things considered.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:30 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
You could always buy from Puppy Farms, flea markets, Craigslist, free puppies on the corner, etc etc. if you're not happy with a business, move on.

I'm gonna get off this thread before Karma catches up to me!

Old 06-10-2014, 12:42 PM

288 posts, read 494,486 times
I'll also point out the obvious that the local SPCA isn't a "business", in the sense that its not there to engage in commerce and make a profit. It's a 501c3 non-profit organization that relies entirely on donations, fund-raising, and a whole mess of awesome volunteers (and some paid full/part timers).

They aren't there to "sell you a dog", they're here to shelter animals in need, and help place them in proper permanent homes or fosters. There's a pretty big distinction between the two, at least in my mind. FWIW.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:03 PM

OK. I found what the issues are: the bottom of the home page is where they have adoptions that just link to their pics. Which is where I was. So I thought I was going crazy when I saw a different page from TealDreamer for the same dog I saw on the homepage. The info on the homepage is accessible by hovering over Home, I was clicking on Home...So no info was accessible. Yes, their recording/phone is horrible! After finally getting connected with the Operations Manager, it turns out they have had AT&T out their 4 times! I completely understand that, because AT&T doesn't fix our cable as well. Even though technically we have 'Fi-OS" (Fiber Optic), yeah right! So I feel their pain there! The Op's Manager was awesome and patient! IMO, it appears the whole County of Dorchester is going through growing pains trying to keep up. Summerville needs help as I guess they have a broader base and bigger Doners in Charleston. JRadV, I commend your comments, but non-profits can make a profit and should to subside shortfalls, if possible. I know of Shelters that have had great success with it. So the question now is how to help them in their current situation with an expanding population base of humans and animals that need help in Summerville and what can be done in the future? I plan on seeing what I can do.....Thanks all for your responses!!

Old 06-10-2014, 03:05 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,490 times
I'll also point out the obvious that the local SPCA isn't a "business", in the sense that its not there to engage in commerce and make a profit. It's a 501c3 non-profit organization that relies entirely on donations, fund-raising, and a whole mess of awesome volunteers (and some paid full/part timers).

They aren't there to "sell you a dog", they're here to shelter animals in need, and help place them in proper permanent homes or fosters. There's a pretty big distinction between the two, at least in my mind. FWIW.

Well said. They are NOT a business nor do they sell dogs. Many people (in some instances most) prefer to adopt rather than purchase.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:08 PM

Never thought to look them up on Facebook!! All of the info is right there!!

Old 06-10-2014, 04:25 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
We can all jump to conclusions and be critical at some times. Glad you found what you were looking or.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:49 AM

59 posts, read 69,948 times
Animal shelters depend on donations in order to operate, and many of them are very bare bones because they can't afford luxurious facilities, interactive websites, etc., but the people running them are doing the best they can to rescue and place the animals in their care. I hope you have good luck finding your future pet(s)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area