Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 11:07 AM

4 posts, read 10,290 times

Advertisements

We would like to move to SC from PA next year after my husband retires, which place is better to live between Mount Pleasant, Charleston, or Myrtle Beach?

We want to find a good community, and we are going to buy a lot to build house, we like lake or waterway. The realtor gave us some communities to consider in Myrtle beach, she suggested the first one is Sago Plantation, the sceond one is Cypress River Plantation.

I have a friend is living in Mount Pleasant, she thinks Mount Pleasant is much better than Myrtle Beach. But it looks the price of single house in Mount Pleasant is much more expensive than Myrtle Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 01:36 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,048,960 times
I recommend Mt. Pleasant . You're super close to the water, but Myrtle Beach really slows down after the tourist season and Mt. Pleasant/Charleston does not. Also there are 2 hospitals in MTP, home prices vary on how large of a home you want and where too. Myrtle Beach is a fun place to visit, but Mt Pleasant is a fun place to live.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:57 PM

547 posts, read 1,196,279 times
on a scale of 1-10 Mt P is a 10 and MB is a -5

Old 07-02-2014, 02:37 PM

Proudpatrio and Jesposito, Thank you so much!

Do you have some communities to recommend?

Old 07-02-2014, 08:40 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
There are huge differences between Mt Pleasant and Myrtle Beach so it just depends on what you're looking for. Of course here on the Charleston forum you'll find more people who prefer the Charleston area. :-)

There are other communities around Charleston that are less expensive than Mt Pleasant and might suit your needs. Tell us what you are looking for and we can recommend specific communities. Budget is usually a deciding factor.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:53 PM

65 posts, read 109,739 times
If retirement on the coast/beach with a view, or walking distance from the ocean is what you are looking for, I certainly wouldn't count out Myrtle.

Mt Pleasant isn't on the ocean. You will need a car, or be willing to take an extended bike ride to get there. Traveling to the beach in the summer from mount pleasant can be somewhat of a hassle with traffic and parking. Don't get me wrong - I live in Mt. Pleasant and love it. It's fantastic for families with school-aged kids - but i would like to retire at the beach - not in the next town over.

North Myrtle has a fantastic retirement community, it's much quieter and safer than Myrtle, and it's affordable beach living. The beach breezes and sounds are right there, year round. If you like golf, Myrtle probably has the edge here too. While it gets very quiet in the offseason, there are enough folks living there to keep it from being a ghost town. It has much more offseason life than any of the mid Atlantic beaches near PA.

On the other hand...
Mt. Pleasant may be more expensive, but it delivers. It has much lower crime, a more stable infrastructure for year round living, and it's close to water in all directions. It's a very unique, clean and vibrant small city, unmatched elsewhere in SC. Throw in a good water view, and it's heaven. But, some of the things you pay extra for to be in Mount Pleasant (great schools, lots of kids and very trendy) are things that a retiree could maybe care less about.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:16 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,048,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resomod View Post
North Myrtle has a fantastic retirement community, it's much quieter and safer than Myrtle, and it's affordable beach living. The beach breezes and sounds are right there, year round. If you like golf, Myrtle probably has the edge here too. While it gets very quiet in the offseason, there are enough folks living there to keep it from being a ghost town. It has much more offseason life than any of the mid Atlantic beaches near PA.
+1 to this. My aunt is retired and lives in the Little River community, which is north of MB. It's definitely more of a smaller town feel there than Mt. Pleasant, which has a suburban feel because you're so close to Charleston. She really likes it there and her kids are close by (they live in NMB). It has a different feel than the Myrtle Beach (touristy) area, though, and it's a little drive.

I think you should make a trip to SC and check out both locations- MB and MTP aren't really that bad of a drive from each other. You can also check out other areas of Charleston while you're here, you may find another location that you like even more, who knows?

Old 07-03-2014, 10:14 AM

Thank all of you for the kind messages! I'll go to China next week and be back PA in September(I'm Chinese), my husband and I decided to visit MB and Charleston on October. Then we'll see where we love best.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:23 AM

Localhero,

We want to look for a front water house, and it is in a very good community. We are also considering to buy a good view lot, then build the house. The price range is $350,000- 450,000. Thank you very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area