Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 06:28 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,934,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powers View Post
(it also wouldn't hurt to have a few Boeing suppliers either) .
This is where you need to put your focus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 06:37 PM

39 posts, read 62,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Studies do not back you up. Here is a nice list of several studies on the issue, if you're interested.

Key Studies on Big-Box Retail & Independent Business | Institute for Local Self-Reliance

It's one thing to say, as some had said on here, they want X, Y, or Z business in the Mt P area because they like the product offered. It's another to claim that big box stores improve local economies. Point of fact, studies have shown they actually hurt local economies for multiple reasons including overall wages, the tax base growth, and the overall increase of funding to the local economy. Big box stores, in essence, take more than they give to the communities where they reside.

While I may not agree, I cannot at least understand the justification by those who appreciate and/or want a product certain big box stores offer. However, your statements are patently false and thus, I feel the need to show them as such.
Wow a group against big business comes out with a study against big box stores while touting the virtues of small independent businesses. I'm shocked I tell you. Be a little more truthful next time.

It doesn't take much thinking to realize a Home Depot is going to add to the tax base more than Billy Bobs Hardware store.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:42 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,959,683 times
Quote:
Wow a group against big business comes out with a study against big box stores while touting the virtues of small independent businesses. I'm shocked I tell you. Be a little more truthful next time.

It doesn't take much thinking to realize a Home Depot is going to add to the tax base more than Billy Bobs Hardware store.
That site quoted several studies. Honestly, I didn't even look that hard. Just did a google search for studies of big box retailers and local economies. So, my truthfulness is not in question but I suspect you spent no time looking at the various studies or you would not have made yet another false statement.

ETA: Yes, you are once again wrong about adding a Home Depot and how it impacts the tax base. Again, the data is there for you, if you choose to read it. Or you can go on blithely telling yourself that 'your common sense' negates the data.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:58 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,289,471 times
Quote:
The goal is to diversify the tax base. Big box stores are one way to do that. Small town thinking is keeping everything the same which it what a lot of the natives and some transplants want. It's never going to be like it was in 1975.
How the heck does a big box store diversify the tax base???????

If you mean "additional retail locations", I can agree, but big box stores???

Old 07-21-2014, 07:07 PM

39 posts, read 62,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
How the heck does a big box store diversify the tax base???????

If you mean "additional retail locations", I can agree, but big box stores???
Mount pleasant is mostly apartments, homes and small businesses. This would extend the tax base

Old 07-21-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Mount pleasant is mostly apartments, homes and small businesses. This would extend the tax base
I think you described every municipality in the world.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:11 PM

3,578 posts, read 4,309,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Studies do not back you up. Here is a nice list of several studies on the issue, if you're interested.

While I may not agree, I cannot at least understand the justification by those who appreciate and/or want a product certain big box stores offer. However, your statements are patently false and thus, I feel the need to show them as such.
Most studies look at stores like Walmart and their entry into markets without such. Of the several studies produced by more.. unbiased sources show a per capita increase in retail jobs, a slight reduction in retail establishments, a slight increase in poverty levels, a roughly 4% reduction in retail pricing, a no effect on food stamp usage.

In our situation you have to look at what businesses would be impacted through competition and what the general population base is. Every metro area is different. Moreover, you also have to consider the impact of internet shopping on local economy and small retailers as that market continues to grow. The local economy gets little to no revenue from online sales.

The plus side to local businesses is their profits tend to remain in the community where large box stores extract profits. However that is balanced by lower prices and increased sales volume.

It's a very complicated issue with pros and cons.

However to understand tax base diversification, think of your typical 401k investments. You don't want to put all your assets into one kind of investment type (bonds, stocks, money, etc). Right now MtP has to much of it's tax income from residential properties. We need to bring in more business, but it too must be diverse to avoid the impact of declines in any one sector to threaten the tax generation. An increase in retail, Boeing suppliers, and white collar IT/HR/Finance/etc business would all be good areas to be in...

IMO.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:42 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,959,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Most studies look at stores like Walmart and their entry into markets without such. Of the several studies produced by more.. unbiased sources show a per capita increase in retail jobs, a slight reduction in retail establishments, a slight increase in poverty levels, a roughly 4% reduction in retail pricing, a no effect on food stamp usage.

In our situation you have to look at what businesses would be impacted through competition and what the general population base is. Every metro area is different. Moreover, you also have to consider the impact of internet shopping on local economy and small retailers as that market continues to grow. The local economy gets little to no revenue from online sales.

The plus side to local businesses is their profits tend to remain in the community where large box stores extract profits. However that is balanced by lower prices and increased sales volume.

It's a very complicated issue with pros and cons.

However to understand tax base diversification, think of your typical 401k investments. You don't want to put all your assets into one kind of investment type (bonds, stocks, money, etc). Right now MtP has to much of it's tax income from residential properties. We need to bring in more business, but it too must be diverse to avoid the impact of declines in any one sector to threaten the tax generation. An increase in retail, Boeing suppliers, and white collar IT/HR/Finance/etc business would all be good areas to be in...

IMO.
On your last, I think that's a fair argument to make. I argue that big box retailers is not the answer to diversification of the tax base though. Having increased suppliers and white collar businesses are both things I would classify as 'smart growth' to our community. In addition to higher paying jobs, many of those types of companies tend to be smaller businesses with less overall impact on the infrastructure than big box retailers and a greater return of investment to the local community.

There is a misconception at times or perhaps an overlap in people like myself who want to see smart growth, which would include the aforementioned but would prefer to be quite cautious about increasing big box retailers, and those who want to go back to the tiny village. I agree with the first but disagree with the second. I have no misconceptions that Mt Pleasant will ever be the tiny fishing village again. However, at the same time, I think it's prudent to plan growth so the character and quality of the community is retained and not diluted. It is, after all, the very reason our area has become so desirable to others moving here.

I would like to add that my distress over growth that, at times, did not seem well planned in Mt Pleasant is not limited to commercial. The huge developments that were approved even though they seemed to be a strain on the infrastructure are equally if not more ill advised at this time.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:05 AM

3,578 posts, read 4,309,778 times
I don't believe any one thing is a solution. You may want to place some restrictions so you don't allow any large retailer that wants to come along. But I don't feel you should be waving the ban hammer as a blanket policy. Traditionally Target, Walmart, and Lowes are all big block stores and were sadly needed in MtP. But Khols, Bed Bath and Beyond, Old Navy, Belk, Barnes and Noble, Dick's, etc are all be in the same genre of large chain retail establishments and I don't hear a lot of complaints about them being here.

As a home owner in MtP I do believe retail is part of the tax base solution.

As a consumer I want retail locations that reduce costs, simplify the shopping experience, and improve my quality of life. As the population has grown, so must the retail market to match. Right now we're exporting a large amount of retail sales at the cost of both taxes and quality of life. I want to get in, get my shopping done and get out without having to spend days hopping between small mom and pop stores trying to find want I want just to pay high prices. We don't even have an electronics store in MtP aside from the base model stuff sold at Walmart/Target and Radio Shack.

In this case Costco or Sams (a warehouse store) would be one of those big block stores I would be willing to add. The footprint isn't much bigger (and in some cases smaller) than existing large retailers. I'm happy with a Dick's.. I believe we could use a large athletic retailer. I don't see a point in a Nordstoms.. we have plenty of clothing retailers. A Cabala's would fit, but don't necessarily feel we need a Home Depot.

MtP is a diverse area and we should be able to meet different demands in different sections. It is my belief that while 'character' is part of what brings people to MtP, the largest factor has been quality of schools and location relative to the beaches and downtown. I do believe the 'character' of IOP and Shem Creek is a larger driver for tourism though.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:15 AM

I don't think there is anything MtP needs more than an electronics store (Best Buy), now that you bring it up. I know they're a dying breed nowadays, but it is weird when you think about it.

And since most MtP residents are too scared to leave the boundaries of town, let alone go into North Charleston, how do they get their electronics??? (I'm kidding folks, calm down )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area