Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 10:19 AM

43 posts, read 64,684 times

Advertisements

Coming to area for visit in few weeks but will only have 3/4 days to check out the entire area so trying to learn as much as possible first. Initially we thought Summerville, but our research indicates that may be too far way from Charleston for us. We are now researching West Ashley and North Charleston. I originally though North Charleston was just the north end of Charleston but if I understand correctly now it is a separate city? So I have heard there are a few nice areas of North Charleston but that the majority of it is "bad"? So how bad are we talking? I currently reside in Connecticut and Hartford is a sh*t hole in at least 80% if not more. Run down properties, trash, drugs, gangs in area, etc. Is this what we are talking about here? Also, my research suggests all of West Ashley is nice but the problem with most of WA is that it is zoned for terrible schools? Is this accurate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 10:45 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,668,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscasct View Post
Coming to area for visit in few weeks but will only have 3/4 days to check out the entire area so trying to learn as much as possible first. Initially we thought Summerville, but our research indicates that may be too far way from Charleston for us. We are now researching West Ashley and North Charleston. I originally though North Charleston was just the north end of Charleston but if I understand correctly now it is a separate city? So I have heard there are a few nice areas of North Charleston but that the majority of it is "bad"? So how bad are we talking? I currently reside in Connecticut and Hartford is a sh*t hole in at least 80% if not more. Run down properties, trash, drugs, gangs in area, etc. Is this what we are talking about here? Also, my research suggests all of West Ashley is nice but the problem with most of WA is that it is zoned for terrible schools? Is this accurate?

Everyone has an opinion on things. But just look at the local newspaper (The Post and Courier) and you will see that most of the crime/drug bust/prostitution is coming from North Charleston/Ladson areas. The whole area is changing for the better. Best thing to do is just go look at places and see if you can handle it.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:31 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Yes there are pockets of West Ahsley and North Charleston to avoid.

Are you apartment or house hunting? Renting or buying? I know there is an awful lot of information on this site but it is worth culling through it.

My son is living in East Hartford right now and was amazed to see how BAD it is in some areas.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:39 AM

43 posts, read 64,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yes there are pockets of West Ahsley and North Charleston to avoid.

Are you apartment or house hunting? Renting or buying? I know there is an awful lot of information on this site but it is worth culling through it.

My son is living in East Hartford right now and was amazed to see how BAD it is in some areas.
House hunting.....most likely buying but a rental is a possibility. Looking for 4BR house (have kids). We lived in East Hartford from 1998-2006 but we lived in new neighbordhood (the only new one in EH and it only had about 25 houses) It was good for us at the time but we then moved out of EH as the kids were getting bigger and moved to much better town. While not the worst place in the world I would not want my kids to go to EH High, so I am curious if the WA and NC areas are same as EH, worse or better.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:06 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
My son is a young guy who got a great job. Moved up there from the Atlanta area a year ago and is still having some culture shock. It just isn't what he is use to. He would love to be in a more urban area.

Yup -- there are hit and misses with the schools in North Charleston and maybe West Ashley.

For the most part -- any housing you find that you really like will probably be in a fine school district. I know that seems like a simplistic or vague comment but it is a reality.

I would avoid North Charleston. To me it is a more up and coming area. I would focus on Summerville, Mt. Pleasant and West Ashley. James Island would be okay but I'm not an expert on the schools in that area.

Mt. Pleasant has the location going for it but you pay a price. Housing is more expensive. However -- wherever you are in Mt. Pleasant the schools are good and right now there is only one high school for the area. There will probably add one but not for at least five years. There will be an adjustment for any new high school and it will not be considered as good as the existing one. Middle school and elementary schools in Mt. Pleasant you can't lose. They are all great schools. There is a convenience factor living in Mt. Pleasant -- easy access to down town, shopping, movie theatre and beach.

Summerville is another great school district. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those schools.It has the usual amenities of any great bedroom community. Downfall -- distance to beach and down town. May or may not matter. Housing is more reasonable.

Wish I could give you more info on West Ashley but I'm not as familiar with the schools in that district OR housing opportunties,

Old 07-29-2014, 12:32 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,982,719 times
Have you considered Hanahan? It has highly rated schools and some really good older communities. There's also newer construction over at Tanner Plantation and Eagle Landing. You will do most of your shopping in North Charleston or Goose Creek but it's central location is nice and there's a lot of nice homes in Hanahan.

Hanahan, South Carolina

Old 07-29-2014, 12:42 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,906 times
In regards to distance, it varies by person. I drove 40-45 minutes to work every day in my previous state and that was normal for myself. A lot of people I meet here have some form of "drivitis" meaning they curl up into balls when they hear their drive is more than 15 minutes. I say that because I don't want you to miss out on something because others tell you the distance is too long. It may be okay for you. If you're driving in, just note the distances between exist and perhaps go exploring all of the place.

Not all of North Charleston is Charleston County, not all of Summerville is Dorchester County. Most of North Charleston isn't great, but it does have it's pockets. All of Ladson is actually Summerville, North Charleston or Hanahan; Ladson is just a mailing address.

Areas around Wescott, Coosaw, McKewn, Kings Grant, etc. are pretty good areas (and would be considered technically in North Charleston). Park Circle is livable, but you don't have Dorchester II schools. When people reference North Charleston neighborhoods, here is the graphic I provide:

Avoid the yellow.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:43 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
My son is a young guy who got a great job. Moved up there from the Atlanta area a year ago and is still having some culture shock. It just isn't what he is use to. He would love to be in a more urban area.

Yup -- there are hit and misses with the schools in North Charleston and maybe West Ashley.

For the most part -- any housing you find that you really like will probably be in a fine school district. I know that seems like a simplistic or vague comment but it is a reality.

I would avoid North Charleston. To me it is a more up and coming area. I would focus on Summerville, Mt. Pleasant and West Ashley. James Island would be okay but I'm not an expert on the schools in that area.

Mt. Pleasant has the location going for it but you pay a price. Housing is more expensive. However -- wherever you are in Mt. Pleasant the schools are good and right now there is only one high school for the area. There will probably add one but not for at least five years. There will be an adjustment for any new high school and it will not be considered as good as the existing one. Middle school and elementary schools in Mt. Pleasant you can't lose. They are all great schools. There is a convenience factor living in Mt. Pleasant -- easy access to down town, shopping, movie theatre and beach.

Summerville is another great school district. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those schools.It has the usual amenities of any great bedroom community. Downfall -- distance to beach and down town. May or may not matter. Housing is more reasonable.

Wish I could give you more info on West Ashley but I'm not as familiar with the schools in that district OR housing opportunties,
MONEIL... Why do you think it will take over 5 years to retro fit the old Wando high school to reopen as a second high school for Mt Pleasant...my understanding is that the target is two years after release....Secondly ... since its catchment area will include the Old Village .. Mathis Ferry area, ION ,and probably Sullivans Island ... the wealthiest parts of MTP area ... that the school will be inferior to the existing Wando?

And that assumes that the second option .. turning the new school into a STEM high school isn't implemented.
If anything ... I think the opposite might be correct.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:52 PM

2,310 posts, read 2,957,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
MONEIL... Why do you think it will take over 5 years to retro fit the old Wando high school to reopen as a second high school for Mt Pleasant...my understanding is that the target is two years after release....Secondly ... since its catchment area will include the Old Village .. Mathis Ferry area, ION ,and probably Sullivans Island ... the wealthiest parts of MTP area ... that the school will be inferior to the existing Wando?

And that assumes that the second option .. turning the new school into a STEM high school isn't implemented.
If anything ... I think the opposite might be correct.
The way I heard it they don't plan to retrofit the old wando into a new high school, they plan to tear it down and build a new one. Not that they can do either until new schools are built for Laing and Jennie Moore.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:56 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,651 times
I live in WA and we're zoned for Drayton Hall Elementary, which has a great reputation. We live in a very family friendly neighborhood with tons of kids. Many go to public school but a lot of them do go private or to magnet schools. There are areas of WA where I wouldn't want to live and areas of North Chas. where I wouldn't want to live. They are both very large communities, though, and they have nice areas too.

Summerville is definitely a drive if you work in Charleston... I think Hanahan is a great central location because you're very close to North Charleston but also close to 26 and 526 to go to Mt. Pleasant or even West Ashley. Homes are also cheaper in Hanahan than WA or MTP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area