Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:25 PM

363 posts, read 439,717 times

Advertisements

Yes! My son & l loved the beach, a band was there one time we went, which we enjoyed. Folly has more going on than where l currently live. Which is fine, but not too crazy. We really don't shop much, for example, unless it's for food or gas. I like thrift stores for used books and furniture. And live music, but it could be the ukelele. Older houses compared to new developments. Trying to stay open to change! And a mix of people as far as ages goes, so maybe Meridian is a bit too much like a retirement community? I would like a place with a neighborhood feel, Kooky neighbors okay. Just not crazy kooks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 06:27 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,598,737 times
Meridian is not a retirement community, just a cookie cutter spread of single story townhouse units. Ok for what it is but not "beachy" and without a hint of "charm" imo.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:06 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
I absolutely agree beachy-wise... tho 360K on Sullivans will get them a refrigerator box under the causeway ...lol
I remember having friends who bought their starter house on sketchy James Island and introduced us to lowbrow Folly Beach. My how times have changed.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:01 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
I'm just wondering if I'll be able to AFFORD to live on Folly... Oceanfront real estate per square foot seems to be comparable to mid-town Manhattan! Seems that's where all the doctors go to retire... And I'm not one! I also see a lot of big houses as opposed to condos? Will have to keep an eye on the market, but Myrtle is sure a lot cheaper!

Old 09-07-2014, 09:50 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,377 times
Per the census ... only 12% of Folly's population were retired...using your words ... you pay for the privilege of living close to that "soulless" city ... Charleston...

Old 09-08-2014, 05:51 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,986 times
I lived in Meridian Place for years, and I own a townhome that I rent out there. It is a nice neighborhood close to the beach. You can walk to Wal Mart, and other resturants/bars. The realtors here just are on here to obtain clients, so beware they just want your business. They are bias. $1100 in meridian place for a 2 bed/2 bath is fair.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:16 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,598,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
I lived in Meridian Place for years, and I own a townhome that I rent out there. It is a nice neighborhood close to the beach. You can walk to Wal Mart, and other resturants/bars. The realtors here just are on here to obtain clients, so beware they just want your business. They are bias. $1100 in meridian place for a 2 bed/2 bath is fair.
Why would you have an attitude like that? As a Realtor, yes, I would like to meet folks moving to Charleston and looking for a home, but as a person who's lived in Charleston for 30 years I will happily help anyone looking to move here by answering their questions whether they are a potential client or not. It's an interesting forum for people to share information. Do you think everyone is here for selfish ulterior motives? How about you?

As for Meridian, apparently we agree on that. The PrarieGirl asked about rents of $1200-1400 there and I said that might be a bit high. I have friends who have lived in Meridian and as a contractor I've worked on some of the units there. I've even watched them being built as I used to walk my dog in the woods there before they existed. They are what they are.... ~12 year old townhouses built in cookie-cutter style and in which all the trees were cleared from the lot for the construction. It's ok for what it is, the residents are fine, the location isnt' bad, but I don't think anyone would call it "charming" or "beachy".

No reason for a prejudiced attitude about Realtors.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:20 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,317,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm just wondering if I'll be able to AFFORD to live on Folly... Oceanfront real estate per square foot seems to be comparable to mid-town Manhattan! Seems that's where all the doctors go to retire... And I'm not one! I also see a lot of big houses as opposed to condos? Will have to keep an eye on the market, but Myrtle is sure a lot cheaper!
Waterfront flood insurance will also run you another $25k+/year. This is why most waterfront properties are beach rentals.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:56 AM

142 posts, read 270,154 times
By the way if you like Lost Dog on Folly, you will love Black Magic Cafe on Folly. My favorite breakfast/brunch spot in all of Charleston.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:58 PM

12 posts, read 11,237 times
Prairie Girl, I have to agree that Riverland Terrace is a neat neighborhood and you can walk to a few restaurants, soon to be grocery store, movie theater. Based on what you have described liking, you may want to check out Byrnes Downs in West Ashley - you can walk to grocery store, lots of restaurants, coffee shop, hair salons, in Avondale and it has what I consider to be a cool artsy vibe with older homes from 1940s as well as a wide range of ages. You can also access the West Ashley Greenway (10 mile walking/bike trail) from Byrnes Downs which connects to the Windemere Shopping Center - Earthfare grocery store, restaurants, library, office store, shopping, etc. Rentals go quickly on Craigslist in Riverland Terrace and Byrnes Downs, but if you keep looking you will find some pop up every now and then. Sometimes the "s" is left off of Downs when searching on Craiglist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area