Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 06:26 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,459,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
I have only lived in the Lowcountry for 25 years, but my ancestors were some of the first planters to farm and live on Wadmalaw near Rockville and I have relatives scattered throughout James Island, Johns Island, Summerville, and Holly Hill...so I do (as you can tell ) get defensive about our beloved Lowcountry. Some areas always get a bad rap by some in other areas, if you know what I mean. I usually don't say anything, but Meks (in all your sarcastic glory ) really got my dander up. LOL Pie in my face...I'll know next time!

As for hurricanes, I lived on James Island during Hurricane Hugo and we evacuated to....where else, but Otranto, where some friends lived. In retrospect, that wasn't the smartest move since there was more damage done to the house we were in than my house back on James Island (part of the roof was torn off, all the trees came down on the house and cars - mine was smashed). I decided to pay heed and evacuate further away next time...LOL. For Floyd, we went the back ways to Helen, Georgia and made a 3 day vacation out of it. Being on Johns Island, I definitely take hurricane warnings seriously...don't want to get trapped here.....so I think next time, we'll just go to my brother's house in Holly Hill.
SC my families been here since before they started keeping records, we have grave sites you can actually still read that are over 400 yrs old... so yeaa my people were here with the Indians as well, some even married etc etc...

been on Johns Is the whole time? then you're probably familiar with that Capt. Whites Crabs sign near appaloosa... that old sea rat's family to me too, my uncle...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 07:01 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,730,642 times
I've lived on James Is. (11 years) and Johns Island (14 years) and yep, I know where that sign is. So since you have kin here, I just know you won't go dissin' on Johns Island to perspective newcomers! LOL

Old 12-30-2007, 08:47 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,385,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonbred View Post
So im another Northerner who is sick and tired of the snow and ready for a move. My family and I have chosen to move to SC, more specifically in the Charleston area. Our problem is that we dont necessarily want to move IN
Charleston. We are looking for a smaller city without an astronomical crime rate and decent schools. Also the town/city has to be a MAX of 30-45min away from Charleston and an airport. Diversity is a plus, coming from Boston i expect nothing less...kinda. Please dont direct us too far inland we dont do mountains and "hicks". I dont mean to offend anyone but we're from the city and are scared to death of little towns that have homes that are separated 3mi apart... Jeepers Creepers anyone?

Thanx for understanding
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

GreatSchools.net for school comparaisons. I think you'll find in the areas you mentioned, Charleston, SC meets or exceeds rates for Boston in the areas you specify.

I can also say, having lived in the Wellesly Hills, Ma for three years in elementary school and then lived in Chestnut Hill for the first two years of college before transferring to a school in New Orleans. LA and after living most of my life in New England, recently moved to Charleston, SC myself, can say that Boston is not the be all and end all of culture and sophistication that many close minded New Englanders think it is. Greater Charleston including Mt. Pleasant, first of all actually has a larger population than the city of Boston.

You'll also find if you have to pay for your own health insurance that relatively speaking most of the northeast, and Massachusetts is one of the WORST states, is health insurance h#ll, whereas relatively speaking, SC is health insurance heaven. That is because, in SC legislators have shown to themselves to be satisfied enough with using state health insurance legislation proven to work in most states across the country... whereas in states like Massachusetts (and NY, NJ, RI, ME, and VT) they INSIST on being different and trying to reinvent the wheel and just end up MUCKING UP health insurance in their state as a result which drives out carriers choice and drive UP costs.

I am SOOO glad I'm out of New England and I'm happily ensconsed in Charleston on northern James Island a few minutes from downtown and have beautiful views of the intracoastal waterway from the end of my street. My place is more palatial with more amenities than I could hope to get for the money up north and the weather here is GORGEOUS! It's been mostly in the sixties and seventies since I got here on the 19th.

I was concerned about crime etc too but I think you'll find after you do your research that it is not nearly as bad in most areas of Charleston as it is in Boston AND that the schools are also not any worse and probably MUCH BETTER than many schools in Massachusetts. North Charleston is the only area to really avoid as I understnd it. Before I moved here I took a week and rented a car and drove everywhere to get the lay of the land. I suggest you do the same.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 05:33 AM..

Old 12-30-2007, 10:37 PM

899 posts, read 3,481,123 times
To Meks & SC Beaches;

I get around. I typically have a small cooler in the trunk.

I don't drive BY Capt. Whites, I drive in, talk a while & buy some crabs.

I get my shrimp from the Stono Market down the road every time I drive by. Have a side of Tomatoe pie & make my own recipe with the Vidallia Onion Salsa they sell.

I learn & live by the kind advice & experience of the 'locals' I find, both here & out in my travels. I appreciate what the South has been through and what it can be.

I am AMAZED that John's Island is not IOP, and I support the people that want to keep it that way.

I truly thank you and wish you a very Happy New Year.

Collard Greens & Hoppin' John WILL be on the menu tonight!

jim,
(not your average Northerner Realtor)

Old 12-31-2007, 10:13 AM

Jim, you're a man after my own heart (and I LOVE their tomato pie too). Stono Market has also been known as the Tomato Packing Shed for years since that's what's out back and where many locals worked as teenagers....and Emily, way to go - absorbing the local culture and learning to appreciate the uniqueness of Charleston instead of immediately trying to make it the place you left behind.

Happy New Year to Ya'll too!!

P.S. Have you tried black-eyed peacakes served with chow chow?? YUM....my mom has made these for many years - good eatin'! And, of course we will be eating Hoppin' John, collards, and cornbread too.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim3310 View Post
To Meks & SC Beaches;

I get around. I typically have a small cooler in the trunk.

I don't drive BY Capt. Whites, I drive in, talk a while & buy some crabs.

I get my shrimp from the Stono Market down the road every time I drive by. Have a side of Tomatoe pie & make my own recipe with the Vidallia Onion Salsa they sell.

I learn & live by the kind advice & experience of the 'locals' I find, both here & out in my travels. I appreciate what the South has been through and what it can be.

I am AMAZED that John's Island is not IOP, and I support the people that want to keep it that way.

I truly thank you and wish you a very Happy New Year.

Collard Greens & Hoppin' John WILL be on the menu tonight!

jim,
(not your average Northerner Realtor)
yepp that lil place is simply known as the tomato sheds cafe' to many

ole uncle sonny sounds n looks real southern doesn't he? ask him how he liked livin in NYC the next time you see him... then tell him n aunt j their nephew said hey...

Johns Is isn't IOP because the people stopped it... and Riley hasn't been able to run water/sewer all through it like the MtP mayor's did to those Is's out there

25yrs ago you could pick up an acre of land on John's Is for a grand, imagine that... my sis and I were going to buy some but let the ball drop, shoulda woulda coulda

I'm gonna skip the hoppin john n collards this yr and cook some frogmore stew n start my own new yrs tradition...

and SC I have family in every corner of the lowcountry and on up the state, so I can insult any area... lol

Jim I guess I'll have to keep you in mind when ppl hit me up about realtors, cause u put up with my kin

Emily, hope you're likin' this area... I'm headin to JI tomorrow, I'll look for ya at the stop lights... look for the Island Green Ford F250 diesel pickup burnin veggie oil

y'all have a great new year n be careful out there on these roads

Old 01-01-2008, 01:50 AM

SC BEACHES
"black-eyed peacakes served with chow chow"

Heck, it's almost 3am and you've got me doing a search on 'Black-eyed peacakes'.
I've got he chow-chow.
What scares me, is the hyphen on black eyed and is peacakes one word?!
I'll probably have this squared away by February.

and MEKS;
mi casa es su casa; 'cause you 'get it!

Any more Southern and you'll need papers to get back into the USA!
jim

Old 01-01-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim3310 View Post
SC BEACHES

and MEKS;
mi casa es su casa; 'cause you 'get it!

Any more Southern and you'll need papers to get back into the USA!
jim
gracias bubba

hoppin' john's an old white recipe

peacakes - pancakes made with blackeye'd peas is an old black recipe

Divinely Delicious Good Luck Pancakes

2 cups Dried Black-eye peas
1 medium Onion -- coarsely chopped
1 Egg
1/4 cup Water
2 teaspoons Chili powder
1 teaspoon Salt
4- 4" squares aluminum foil
Salsa for serving
Place the black-eye peas in a medium bowl with water, and soak the peas overnight.
Drain off the water.
Place the peas, onion, egg, water, chili powder and salt into the bowl of a food processor or blender.
Process until the ingredients form a smooth paste.
Place 2 heaping tablespoons of the pea mixture on a square of aluminum foil.
Tightly fold the foil around the mixture.
Place the foil packets in a medium pot and cover them with water.
Boil for 1 hour, until the your Good Luck Pancakes are firm. Serve hot or warm with spicy salsa.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:07 PM

THANKS MEKS! Making them for dinner tonight.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:20 PM

hm-m-m-m...don't know about the salsa, which would give them a Mexican flair. Good old-fashioned chow chow (a type of relish you can buy or make, but Mom always adds lots more chopped sweet Vidalia onion to hers) is what we put on them,...but the rest is right on. Oh yes, Mom doesn't put the chili powder in her peacakes either.

We all just had our Hoppin' John, cornbread, peacakes (yes, that's black-eyed peas twice...fo' mo' good luck )a little bit of collards (since none of us are overly fond of them), and homemade apple pie ala' mode. YUM!

Now, with all this Good Luck in my tummy, I'm waiting for Ed McMahon to arrive with that check for at least $1,000,000 anytime now! Then, maybe, just maybe, I can afford to move over to Mt. Pleasant and live among the proverbial "Haves"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area