Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 11:44 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,423,385 times

Advertisements

The OP might want to investigate renting a FROG on Daniel Island ..or elsewhere if available. there are a few being advertised tho mostly in the paper not on the listings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 05:03 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,594,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mart00 View Post
Relocating with new job, 57 female, widow, have 1 dog, 2 birds. Job is downtown, have to sell house in Ga first, looking for apt. or townhouse? possible to rent until house sells. Location? Is it possible to rent townhouse? Budget appr 1500/month. Would love near luxury apt if such a thing.. Opinions too about Del Web communities, Thanks a bunch!
You would be able to find something for $1500 per mo in either James Island or Mt Pleasant. How many bedrooms are you looking for?

For some reason the townhouses at Lakeside on James Island came to mind. Townpark lane. Close to Charleston and Folly Beach and many of them are on the lake. Not sure how often something comes up for rent there though.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:58 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
Cynic

FROG mans Free Room Over the Garage. As such, they are far from an "apartment/whatever". It would be more like a "room rental" as in share bath/kitchen, etc. with the family.

How many different type places (room mate, room rental, boarding house, guest house, B&B's, studio apartments, etc.) have you lived in?

At the least, I expect the OP probably wants a studio apartment with pets allowed.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Cynic

FROG mans Free Room Over the Garage. As such, they are far from an "apartment/whatever". It would be more like a "room rental" as in share bath/kitchen, etc. with the family.

How many different type places (room mate, room rental, boarding house, guest house, B&B's, studio apartments, etc.) have you lived in?

At the least, I expect the OP probably wants a studio apartment with pets allowed.

LOL ... the only sort of direct experience Ive had with a FROG is a cousins on Daniel ... He has one over his separate two car garage...550 sq ft or so.... with its own kitchen, bath and entrance... really no interaction with the homeowner It came to mind since he's got it rented to a single female with a dog, teacher at DI school. Im unaware of any FROG's that aren't in separate buildings at least on Daniel.

My daughter also has a friend that rents a FROG in Daniel Island Park.( nice location )...over a 3 car garage ... never seen it ... but same arrangement ...except she occasionally babysits for the owner for a credit against her ... less than $1000 nominal rent ..core utilities included

Both places came furnished .... hence the F in the term FROG

Last edited by cynic1; 09-08-2014 at 07:10 PM..

Old 09-08-2014, 07:21 PM

AH ... but to answer your question ...during a summer break while in college ... 8 of us rented a 2 bedroom 1 bath cottage on Folly ... first 4 back every nite got a bed ... next 2 got a couch... next 2 got mattresses in the garage floor along with any guests... one of the best summer memories of my life !

Old 09-08-2014, 08:07 PM

29 posts, read 79,876 times
Thanks for all the helpful hints..feel free to add more!

Old 09-08-2014, 08:20 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Cynic

The original acronym refers to Family Room Over Garage.

It's extra living space over a garage, attached or not attached, and if zoning laws allow, the space can be adapted as a small apartment. (Or a big apartment, if it's a six car garage.)

Old 09-14-2014, 01:26 PM

29 posts, read 79,876 times
thanks for explaining FROG!! Had no idea...I am looking for something more my space..

Old 09-14-2014, 01:41 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,594,657 times
Actually, I've always understood it as "finished room over garage". I have a rental with a free-standing garage that has a finished room over it. I changed the room into a studio apt complete with full kitchen and bath. I wouldn't refer to it as a FROG because it's more than just a room, but some people might. So just be aware that when you come across the term FROG, it might mean a number of different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area