Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 09:26 AM

8 posts, read 9,485 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering making a move from the DC area to Charleston (we're specifically looking to move to Mt. Pleasant). We both have careers in the public sector so we are curious as to what the job market looks like in Charleston. We're obviously doing some research on the topic, but I am wondering what your observations/experiences are. Some specifics:

I am currently in social services working with individuals with disabilities (I'd love to continue working in this field, but I am open to others as well). Looks like S.C. Department of Disabilities and Special Needs is right up my alley, although I haven't seen any job openings come up yet. My H works in the police department and we are looking at either a sworn officer position or civilian. It looks like Mt. Pleasant has their own police dept, but I am not sure how it compares to Charleston PD.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 09:30 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashPotatoes View Post
Looks like S.C. Department of Disabilities and Special Needs is right up my alley, although I haven't seen any job openings come up yet.
I'm not sure exactly what you do in this field, but it seemed to me they were always looking for potential employees at the job fairs. It may just mean a matter of ringing them up and asking, but be forewarned that some of them want you to hand in your application/resume.

I know from what I've seen. I used to be in the same field and was just curious about what was down here.

I've seen PO jobs periodically pop up here and there, but be mindful they are probably pretty competitive.

Here is a site that you should check out for jobs in the area: http://www.sciway.net/jobs/charleston.html

Scroll down to the job board and you can organize the listings by category. They link you right to a company or town's job listing!

Old 09-08-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I'm not sure exactly what you do in this field, but it seemed to me they were always looking for potential employees at the job fairs. It may just mean a matter of ringing them up and asking, but be forewarned that some of them want you to hand in your application/resume.

I know from what I've seen. I used to be in the same field and was just curious about what was down here.

I've seen PO jobs periodically pop up here and there, but be mindful they are probably pretty competitive.

Here is a site that you should check out for jobs in the area: Charleston SC Jobs - Jobs in Charleston, South Carolina

Scroll down to the job board and you can organize the listings by category. They link you right to a company or town's job listing!
Thanks for the link! Very helpful!

Old 09-08-2014, 10:20 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,017,980 times
Last time I looked (I worked at CPD), Charleston City paid more than the other local agencies. I do not know if that has changed any in the last few years though. Still I'd recommend both CPD and MPPD as great departments to work for. You can also check with State Highway and SLED.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:41 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,161 times
DoD also hires civilian LEOs to supplement the military security forces on Joint Base Charleston. They also hire lots of social workers at the Veterans Administration. I would definitely set up an account and automatic job search agent at http://www.usajobs.gov

Good luck.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:38 AM

Thanks PPs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: