Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 06:31 AM

259 posts, read 453,989 times

Advertisements

I have visited friends at The Gardens and pet sit there.

Its not a bad complex, its an older retro style "garden"
catwalk setup. Think its quaint and well maintained with
affordable rents and a very convenient location. Never felt unsafe there, so no, this incident
reflects a very screwed up mind and not reflective of the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 09:14 AM

6,419 posts, read 1,427,778 times
Johnny is the only one corrrect here. He is right on about Maryville and the Gardens is simply a low cost affordable, usually quiet apartment area, not a bad area. This was a horrible event for law enforcement and families involved. Very unexpected event.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:47 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
I tend to not think of that complex in relationship to Maryville because it is across 5-6 lanes of traffic and around a bend.

And just to see the commentary- more excitement in West Ashley. Just heard from one of my neighbors that the bomb squad was called to Avondale today??? Not sure if it was for a new bomb, old bomb or simply hazardous material but they were apparently out in force. FWIW- this was two streets but only 5 houses away from where Joe Riley's son lives. And within 1000' of a church and daycare. The guy who owns the house is deceased & it has always been 'that house' that just kept getting further and further away from the owner in terms of upkeep. So part of me almost wonders if somehow involves a gas leak or situation caused by a decade of clutter.

Thankfully no injuries/damage/or arrests from what I've heard.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:10 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,287,615 times
My son's girlfriend lived in the Gardens for a year but just moved out 2 months ago. He said it was very quiet and very affordable. There was never any trouble there at all. This incident was a shock to all the residents there. Apparently the suspect had an AK-47 in the apartment and that's the gun he used to shoot the officers with.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:59 PM

324 posts, read 807,111 times
They off duty cops were not hired as security. They are courtesy officers that live in the complex. One of them was wounded with a bullet fragment.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:42 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,471,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypockets View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post
yes it is rory... as with a lot of places West Ashley, many years ago it was a very nice area...
Ignorant quote of the week right here..... No, it's not a typically bad area. The adjacent Maryville area is poor but not high crime. The Gardens is affordable and convenient to downtown, so a large portion of it's residents are service industry. This guy was a drunk and he was anti police/government. People knew him as Anti-Mike.
Really?? that's how you voice your opinion, by insulting someone who doesn't have the same opinion??

you're allowed your opinion and me mine, both are based on perspective from experience and neither is "ignorant" as you say...

not sure of your experience in this area but I've spent most of my life here in the tricounty area, and most of that in West Ashley... I moved out of West Ashley years ago and have been in Summerville for the last 18 years or so but I still have a ton of family West Ashley and I'm there all the time, our family goes back several centuries in that area...

my father actually lived in those apartments for 10 years, as a result of that I was there several times a week myself... at those apartments, not just "in the area"

and they have taken a nose dive for the worse IMHO, quite some time ago...

those "courtesy officers" are full time sheriff deputies and are there to handle ALL of that apartments security issues... they are "paid" by virtue of having their rent cut, so yes that makes them hired security

Julius got grazed, fortunately nothing to that... Matuskovic was actually on duty, RIP sir... he was a great guy and will be missed, Ackerman hopefully will heal and can go back to full duty... Larry RIP too sir, it was an honor to have known you so well... what a great person he was...

Old 09-13-2014, 06:52 AM

324 posts, read 807,111 times
No need to get all butt hurt about it. My experience is that I live, work, and play in West Ashley. Now.... Not 18 years ago.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:13 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,471,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypockets View Post
No need to get all butt hurt about it. My experience is that I live, work, and play in West Ashley. Now.... Not 18 years ago.
I guess you missed the part where I said I still have family all over West Ashley and am still there all the time.

I just prefer not to live there anymore because of how crowded it's gotten.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:05 PM

6,419 posts, read 1,427,778 times
No need to argue about whether the Gardens was a bad area or not. What' important is the community lost a good officer. I pray for his family and others that need healing. The suspect that shot him is dead , so this is a good thing. But, does not take away the loss. I was able to attend the motorcade for the funeral down Glenn McConnell Pkwy and it was very respectful and powerful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area