Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 10:06 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albania67 View Post
You probably never thought about it like that Anyways columbiadata was RIGHT ON: Atlanta tourist dont go to charleston
Actually they do. More go to Savannah since it's a little closer, but I know plenty of folks here from Atlanta they visit Charleston. As a matter of fact, I know of a church here in Atlanta that had its annual women's retreat in Charleston earlier this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albania67 View Post
My View: In the long run Savannah will outdo Charleston!! Savannah just has too much support(Atlanta, Jacksonville)
Jacksonville doesn't "support" Savannah; if anything, it's more of a competitor with the port and all, plus it's in another state.

Who knows what the future holds, but Charleston has always been the bigger city (urban area). Of course that could change in the future but right now, Charleston has more momentum behind it on several fronts and I only see it getting better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 12:56 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,011 times
Agree, Mutiny -- the Port of Jacksonville is a competitor, not a facilitator, of the Port of Savannah. And though Jacksonvillians do visit Savannah, they also love going up to Charleston. It's Atlanta (with Georgia's second-tier cities) that assures Savannah's dynamism as a major Atlantic seaport, and the Port of Brunswick is another growing Georgia port.

No Savannahian would ever suggest that metro Savannah (pop. 360,000) is going to catch up in size or economic weight with metro Charleston (670,000). Both metro areas are growing at a healthy clip, and Savannah doesn't have a prayer in that regard. What is interesting is that in two key areas -- tourism and port activity -- Savannah now punches way above its weight and is now competing at Charleston's level. That was unthinkable only 20 years ago.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:14 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Agree, Mutiny -- the Port of Jacksonville is a competitor, not a facilitator, of the Port of Savannah. And though Jacksonvillians do visit Savannah, they also love going up to Charleston. It's Atlanta (with Georgia's second-tier cities) that assures Savannah's dynamism as a major Atlantic seaport, and the Port of Brunswick is another growing Georgia port.

No Savannahian would ever suggest that metro Savannah (pop. 360,000) is going to catch up in size or economic weight with metro Charleston (670,000). Both metro areas are growing at a healthy clip, and Savannah doesn't have a prayer in that regard. What is interesting is that in two key areas -- tourism and port activity -- Savannah now punches way above its weight and is now competing at Charleston's level. That was unthinkable only 20 years ago.
I mean Savannah could catch up to Charleston at some point in the future, but I wouldn't expect it within my lifetime. But you're right, it has indeed caught up in regards to the port (which is really attributed to the state of Georgia being more forward-thinking in that regard) and tourism. It will be interesting to see how Savannah changes as it shores up tourism, since some folks think Charleston is now too "sterile" and "Disney-fied" yet Savannah seems to be taking its cues from Charleston in that respect (e.g., turning Broughton into a retail corridor, landing more high-end restaurants, etc.).

Old 09-27-2014, 01:39 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,957,926 times
Wasn't there talk about building a port in Jasper or something?

Old 09-27-2014, 07:12 PM

Also as far as port equipment goes Wando is getting a decent upgrade Charleston Regional Business Journal | Charleston, SC

Old 10-30-2014, 12:49 PM

12,912 posts, read 18,756,320 times
Here's what I learned today about the Port of Charleston straight from the horse's mouth at a half-day symposium on the state's infrastructure past, present and future. Charleston's new terminal is the only one under construction in the nation. The port is currently the deepest in the southeast. When the deepening project is complete it will be the deepest port on the east coast and the only one in the southeast capable of handling the mega-mega-ship that is coming down the pike, the one that will put any other to shame in size. The port will be positioned to cash in in a major way when New Jersey's Bayonne Bridge is raised and the mega-mega-ship can fit under it and come down the east coast. When the port's deepening is complete it will be 52 feet deep compared to Savannah's 47 feet, and unlike Savannah's it won't be dependent on the tide for access by the mega-mega-ship. Savannah isn't going away without a fight, but the combination of the Port of Charleston and the state's inland port in Greer with proximity to Atlanta and Charlotte will make the port very hard to pass up for maximum efficiency in disbursement of goods. BTW, the speaker said the Midlands is in a desirable location as far as a combination import/export economy is concerned. That opinion was offered in response to a question about how the Columbia region would benefit being halfway between the coastal port and the inland port. Savannah will still have a role to play. So will Georgetown, SC.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:30 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Savannah will still have a role to play. So will Georgetown, SC.
Savannah will always be a prime competitor of the Port of Charleston, so please spare us the "role to play" -- that really is hilarious propaganda, though not nearly as funny as when you follow it with a comparison to Georgetown. I almost spilled my coffee.

I have no doubt that the Port of Charleston has big plans (it's about time the state of South Carolina woke up from its stupor regarding its ports), but Charleston Harbor has long been wider, deeper and easier to transit than other southern ports, especially the narrow 18-mile channel of the Savannah River. Savannah will update its facilities, too. The Georgia Ports Authority is not a soft touch, and Savannah passed Charleston in tonnage for a reason.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Savannah will always be a prime competitor of the Port of Charleston, so please spare us the "role to play" -- that really is hilarious propaganda, though not nearly as funny as when you follow it with a comparison to Georgetown. I almost spilled my coffee.

I have no doubt that the Port of Charleston has big plans (it's about time the state of South Carolina woke up from its stupor regarding its ports), but Charleston Harbor has long been wider, deeper and easier to transit than other southern ports, especially the narrow 18-mile channel of the Savannah River. Savannah will update its facilities, too. The Georgia Ports Authority is not a soft touch, and Savannah passed Charleston in tonnage for a reason.
The Charleston port will be moving into a new era in a major way, to the benefit of the whole state. Stay tuned. I heard the speech and saw the graphs. I'm only spitting back out what I heard and saw. The SC Port Authority ain't playin'. The tonnage game will be changing in a major way when the mega-mega-ship he was speaking of comes calling on the only port in the southeast that it will be able to call on other than Miami, which would make no logistical sense for dispersing goods to most of the southeast. And the deepness of the Charleston port will be only half the reason it calls on Charleston; the inland port in Greer will be the other half.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Here's what I learned today about the Port of Charleston straight from the horse's mouth at a half-day symposium on the state's infrastructure past, present and future. Charleston's new terminal is the only one under construction in the nation. The port is currently the deepest in the southeast. When the deepening project is complete it will be the deepest port on the east coast and the only one in the southeast capable of handling the mega-mega-ship that is coming down the pike, the one that will put any other to shame in size. The port will be positioned to cash in in a major way when New Jersey's Bayonne Bridge is raised and the mega-mega-ship can fit under it and come down the east coast. When the port's deepening is complete it will be 52 feet deep compared to Savannah's 47 feet, and unlike Savannah's it won't be dependent on the tide for access by the mega-mega-ship. Savannah isn't going away without a fight, but the combination of the Port of Charleston and the state's inland port in Greer with proximity to Atlanta and Charlotte will make the port very hard to pass up for maximum efficiency in disbursement of goods. BTW, the speaker said the Midlands is in a desirable location as far as a combination import/export economy is concerned. That opinion was offered in response to a question about how the Columbia region would benefit being halfway between the coastal port and the inland port. Savannah will still have a role to play. So will Georgetown, SC.
At 52ft it can take some of the larger ships but the largest in the world are a bit to big to fit in the harbor. The Maersk Triple E class has a draft of 52ft, the normal E-class is 51ft. Neither will probably fit because they don't want to scrape along the bottom though I suppose. The Triple E-class can hold transpor over 18 thousand TEU's. To put that in perspective in Q1 2012 Charleston had 155 thousand TEU's go through the port. In a single stop that ship would have been Almost 12% of Charleston TEU's for the quarter.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
At 52ft it can take some of the larger ships but the largest in the world are a bit to big to fit in the harbor. The Maersk Triple E class has a draft of 52ft, the normal E-class is 51ft. Neither will probably fit because they don't want to scrape along the bottom though I suppose. The Triple E-class can hold transpor over 18 thousand TEU's. To put that in perspective in Q1 2012 Charleston had 155 thousand TEU's go through the port. In a single stop that ship would have been Almost 12% of Charleston TEU's for the quarter.
Funny you should say this. He specifically listed the Mersk Triple E as what's coming. And he specifically clearly said the Charleston Port will be the deepest on the east coast. So if Charleston won't be able to handle it, New York won't.

https://www.masc.sc/SiteCollectionDo...s/sc_ports.pdf

Actually that link is dated. The one he used takes it to the year 2019. 52' is the new depth and the Maersk Triple E is coming down the pike. Here's a flyer. http://www.port-of-charleston.com/do..._FactSheet.pdf

Last edited by Charlestondata; 10-30-2014 at 07:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area