Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 06:48 AM

14,209 posts, read 14,607,922 times

Advertisements

Retired to Mount Pleasant in 2000 from Boston. Relocated to Lexington SC in 2010. I miss Charleston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 01:10 PM

11 posts, read 9,578 times
Default The Best Area of Charleston

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Hanahan would be at the top of my list. Dominion Hills, Berkeley Hills, Eagle Landing, Otranto,and Tanner Plantation all have homes for sale (and rentals) in your price range and Hanahan is very centrally located. Park Circle would be an option as well if you're into fixer-uppers that need upgrades. Most of the updated homes in Park Circle run in the 250K range, but there's plenty of homes in Park Circle for under 200k. My next two suggestions would be Goose Creek, especially around Crowfield and Devon Forest, and also Ladson where I would look at the Lakes of Summerville, Wescott, and Kings Grant and the neighborhoods up in that area. I used to live in Summerville Place off of Miles Jameson Road in Ladson and there's homes that come available in that quiet neighborhood for under 200k quite often. 1/3 acre lots as well which is good for the area.
What is the best area of Charleston when you like the City living and not the country part. Great for children, in a safe environment and location. Is Charleston safe? Easy to move around? Thanks

Old 10-04-2014, 02:40 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,662,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatdeal View Post
What is the best area of Charleston when you like the City living and not the country part. Great for children, in a safe environment and location. Is Charleston safe? Easy to move around? Thanks
Mt. Pleasant, James Island, West Ashley. All within 10-15 mins of downtown. All safe, with good schools.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:09 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,944,248 times
SchoolDigger.com - the Easy Way to Evaluate K-12 School Performance This is a good school rating website to give you an idea of what areas you'd like to focus in.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedHere's a good one for crimes and crime statistics as well as the City-Data site which has compiled amazing amounts of data for most US cities/towns.

As far as easy to move around, most areas around town are going to have some congestion. There are certainly problem areas but as long as there's no wrecks, basically any part of town can be reached by another in 30 minutes or less. If you're going to be working in Ladson, probably the easiest commutes would be from Kings Grant, Wescott, and the College Park area followed by Hanahan, Park Circle and Goose Creek. West Ashley would be a trip, but once you were past the I526/I26 interchange you'd be travelling against the grain of traffic and it probably would be that bad of a commute.
If you decided to rent, there's also plenty of apartment/condo rental options in the Ladson area.

Apartment Rentals | Apartments for rent | Homes for sale is a good relocation site provided by Realtor.com and you can research rentals there.

Last edited by Yac; 10-09-2014 at 07:12 AM..

Old 10-04-2014, 06:50 PM

218 posts, read 211,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post
This makes me laugh You have only seen the beginning of "sissy traffic" I'm going to bookmark this and 5 years, you'll eat your words (hopefully with bacon)

Living here all my life, I've never seen it this bad and with all this growth and lack of roads, the low country is getting ready for a rude awakening
I second that! But still not a reason to NOT live in CHS.

Last edited by cptnD; 10-04-2014 at 07:37 PM..

Old 10-04-2014, 06:59 PM

3,586 posts, read 4,325,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Retired to Mount Pleasant in 2000 from Boston. Relocated to Lexington SC in 2010. I miss Charleston.
Momma always accepts her wayward childen home child...

Old 10-04-2014, 07:01 PM

218 posts, read 211,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginamarie12 View Post
Hi All!
My boyfriend and I are highly considering relocating from just outside of Boston, MA to South Carolina. We have done some research on the Charleston area and are thinking that would be a good fit. We are both mid 20s, with 2 cats and one dog. We are looking to possibly buy a house (around/under $200,000-$250,000) or rent for the first year (for around $1,000/month, if possible) We would prefer to be close to the city, but in a suburban area with some land.
I am currently working at a company called Window World (which has a location in Ladson that I would possibly look into) and my boyfriend is a Department of Public Works employee in the town we currently live in. How is the job market here?
We are, of course, looking for night life with bars, restaurants, live music, etc. and activities to do during weekends, etc. Any there any towns/neighborhoods that would come to mind?
Please let me know if you have any advice on good areas.. of course quiet, low crime rate and preferably to avoid as much traffic for commuting as well!

Thanks a bunch
Gina
If you're going to work in Summerville it would make more sense to live there because of traffic as everyone else has stated. Check out the area around Newington. It's about 10-15 min from Ladson (which is not the nicest area), but still has a lot of good, hardworking family people. Downtown Summerville is small but there are a lot of good places in it. However, if you are more willing to commute and want the best bars, restaurants, live music, etc. then the closer to Charleston and Mount Pleasant, the better! I'm a college student and look for the exact same qualities in a good place to live. For that reason, I would consider sacrificing your commute because it sounds like your boyfriend can get a job in any city that's hiring so that's a plus. It's hard because you will never be able to have everything you want. There is a trade off any way you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area