Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 12:12 PM

186 posts, read 158,462 times

Advertisements

Once again, a huge thank you to all for your replies, you've really helped. YES, I am beyond sick of our brutal winters--last year was HORRIBLE--and would like a better climate to raise my little 2 year old. (It would be me, my boyfriend and little boy living there).
Have any of you ever been to Minnesota/mid west? At the risk of sounding like an idiot, can someone clarify the "slower way of life" that is talked about alot in regards to the south? I see that term alot on here....how does that compare to the midwest way of life, can someone shed some light on that one? Sorry in advance for sounding stupid!
But thank you SO much for all the great replies, they're all appreciated!!!! Dana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 01:01 PM

355 posts, read 390,692 times
I haven't been where you reside but up North my whole life. I do in fact enjoy living here. So many no issues are asked on this board.
Non issues
Religion
Will I fit in
Biracial
Real Issues
Coming from the north
Humidity
Will I adjust to warm weather when I'm used to cold this time of year
Traffic yes not bad but an issue since the population is booming.
Hot summer is not the same as hot summers up north can I deal with it.
Total change of environment and surroundings that you are used to.
Family missing
Dealing with some family members whom moved with you but don't like it

Old 10-14-2014, 10:15 AM

355 posts, read 390,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattig View Post
It's true what jbird said..Living here is what you make of it. It's beautiful here and if you love history, you will be in heaven. Like other large metropolitan areas there is crime here. At first I was intimidated by the crime having come from a small New England town, but I have learned to realize that you just have to be smart about your environment and don't make yourself and easy target for thugs. Also, visiting here is so much different than living here. Living here you get caught up in the daily grind that life brings and that is everywhere. I think if you have strong roots where you live, you will eventually miss some of those things the longer you live here. For me, I love Charleston but as I get closer to retirement I really do miss family and my long term friends. I get to live far from the snow and brutal cold, but the price I pay is being away from people that mean a lot to me. Is it worth it? Right now I am happy to stay but I'm not so sure it will be forever..
I'm sorry you're missing family, friends and just basic old memories. Unfortunately there is a price to pay. I guess the question a lot of us have , if we move back would it be the same. Would the same reasons for moving smack us in the face. Maybe we would be able to handle the reasons for moving a lot better and would be much happier. Maybe others here may have experienced both and may express their feelings.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:19 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,353,565 times
You can never go home again...

Old 10-14-2014, 12:20 PM

606 posts, read 730,539 times
Charleston is becoming more like coastal Florida, full of northerners who have changed the cultural feel. Its simply not a "southern city" beyond what the tourist se . I see poor driving habits from both locals and transplants, especially the retired populatio . The biggest problem for Charleston is rapid growth, the existing tax base cannot support enough road and school expansion to keep up. Transplants are also driving up housing costs.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:23 PM

606 posts, read 730,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TateFan333 View Post
Once again, a huge thank you to all for your replies, you've really helped. YES, I am beyond sick of our brutal winters--last year was HORRIBLE--and would like a better climate to raise my little 2 year old. (It would be me, my boyfriend and little boy living there).
Have any of you ever been to Minnesota/mid west? At the risk of sounding like an idiot, can someone clarify the "slower way of life" that is talked about alot in regards to the south? I see that term alot on here....how does that compare to the midwest way of life, can someone shed some light on that one? Sorry in advance for sounding stupid!
But thank you SO much for all the great replies, they're all appreciated!!!! Dana
You will not find a slower way of life in Charleston. Perhaps it exists in some smaller towns but not in Charleston.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:30 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,669,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconisgood View Post
Charleston is becoming more like coastal Florida, full of northerners who have changed the cultural feel. Its simply not a "southern city" beyond what the tourist se . I see poor driving habits from both locals and transplants, especially the retired populatio . The biggest problem for Charleston is rapid growth, the existing tax base cannot support enough road and school expansion to keep up. Transplants are also driving up housing costs.
The problem is, you say raise taxes and 100 people say "NO", cut spending.

I wonder if the cap on housing reassessments will be amended (Act 388) so that the county can have more revenue.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:29 PM

288 posts, read 494,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconisgood View Post
The biggest problem for Charleston is rapid growth, the existing tax base cannot support enough road and school expansion to keep up. Transplants are also driving up housing costs.
That is one hell of a problem to have, and yet, people complain. You could always move to an area with no economic growth, or potential. That way, it can stay the same for as long as you want until it falls apart from stagnation.

The lack of road and school capacity seems to have a lot of underlying root causes, and almost all of them are due to poor planning or oversight. I'm from Ohio (yeah yeah yeah), and even our dysfunctional department of transportation that could only work projects for 8-10 months out of the year (weather) is more effective than what I've seen and heard down here.

I also find it interesting that the only major project from the last 15 years that I could find that was either: a). under or within budget b). completed on time or ahead of schedule (the Ravenel Bridge) was a design/build project to non-local companies (local contracting of labor, not withstanding).

To the OP: we've been here for over 3 years now, and we both really like the area. It definitely has its pros and cons, just like any other area in the country. Spring and Fall are perfect times of the year, and the winter is extremely mild from a northerners perspective. The culture isn't that foreign, but there are some differences that you'll notice from time to time. Cost of living is great, and there's more and more economic opportunity every year as big things come in to the area. Sure, the traffic is bad, relative to the metro area's size, but its bearable. Home prices are great, still well below $100 sq/ft for your average build or purchase.

I would definitely recommend a week-long visit of some kind before moving, and especially visting the various metro areas to see which one you might like the best (Summerville, Goose Creek, Mt. Pleasant, West Ashley, North Charleston, etc).

Old 10-14-2014, 01:49 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
There isn't a community in North America -- and probably outside of North America -- that doesn't struggle with tax base, providing roads and hard services including schooling.

I find life here very laid back but I'm in a laid back part of my life. I think you find what you are looking for.

Traffic is nothing compared to cities I have lived in.

So to answer your question -- it all depends who answers your question.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:12 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
There isn't a community in North America -- and probably outside of North America -- that doesn't struggle with tax base, providing roads and hard services including schooling.

I find life here very laid back but I'm in a laid back part of my life. I think you find what you are looking for.

Traffic is nothing compared to cities I have lived in.

So to answer your question -- it all depends who answers your question.
Yes, it all depends upon one's experiences and perspective. From mine, all I can say is that the pace of life is much slower than what I'm used to, and I'm loving it. People don't seem so on edge or stressed out. I haven't observed any of the northeastern *Hurry Up, F%^&$%!* mentality; It has been very much the opposite. I haven't seen road rage or aggressive drivers, and on the local roads at least, people adhere to the speed limit... sometimes even below... sometimes even in a golf cart... sometimes in the middle of town.

Most important to me however, is that more time is put aside here for enjoying life in general. Unfortunately, my life prior to being here was not at a laid back phase. I'm hoping to make it so now, and this place is growing on me.

(P.S., I apologize to those it bothers for being a transplant. I promise not to clog your infrastructure too much. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area