Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2014, 04:50 AM

54 posts, read 47,452 times

Advertisements

Good morning!

I am considering relocating to Charleston when I retire.

I have always liked the south and love the general proximity to the beaches and ocean that Charleston offers. The milder winters don't hurt my feelings either.

So I will answer the "quiz" outlined in the "moving to Charleston" post and see what answers I receive.

1. I will be renting and would prefer $700 - $900/mo.
2. House, condo or apt. Doesn't matter to me.
3. Retired
4. Children are grown and not living with me
5. I would like more suburban location hopefully with public transportation if I needed it. I could go more urban if that would help with the public transportation, but I'm thinking more urban could be more expensive.
5. I don't have any amenities that I MUST have, although a washer and dryer in the apt. would be nice
6. I don't want a retirement community but would prefer a quieter location than, say, next to a college. No parties, etc.

I also want to add that I have been looking at Craigslist and see a couple of places that sounded interesting to me.

Jamison Park, which is in North Charleston on Greenridge Road in the 29406 zip code and Ashley Grove, which is on Ashley Hall Road in the 29407 zip code. If anyone knows anything at all about these areas, crime, demographics, what these apts. are like, etc., it would be great to hear about it.

Thanks so much for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 12:04 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,046,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ60 View Post
Good morning!

I am considering relocating to Charleston when I retire.

I have always liked the south and love the general proximity to the beaches and ocean that Charleston offers. The milder winters don't hurt my feelings either.

So I will answer the "quiz" outlined in the "moving to Charleston" post and see what answers I receive.

1. I will be renting and would prefer $700 - $900/mo.
2. House, condo or apt. Doesn't matter to me.
3. Retired
4. Children are grown and not living with me
5. I would like more suburban location hopefully with public transportation if I needed it. I could go more urban if that would help with the public transportation, but I'm thinking more urban could be more expensive.
5. I don't have any amenities that I MUST have, although a washer and dryer in the apt. would be nice
6. I don't want a retirement community but would prefer a quieter location than, say, next to a college. No parties, etc.

I also want to add that I have been looking at Craigslist and see a couple of places that sounded interesting to me.

Jamison Park, which is in North Charleston on Greenridge Road in the 29406 zip code and Ashley Grove, which is on Ashley Hall Road in the 29407 zip code. If anyone knows anything at all about these areas, crime, demographics, what these apts. are like, etc., it would be great to hear about it.

Thanks so much for reading.
Stay away from Ashley Grove, not a very good area of West Ashley.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:06 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,444,858 times
Patriot...you beat me to it. I was going to warn the OP as well.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:44 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,285,767 times
Yes unfortunately the $700-$900 per month range for housing won't put you in the best areas of Charleston. You might find something in Summerville or Ladson in that price range. Charleston is not an inexpensive place to retire to in comparison to other southern cities.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:07 PM

54 posts, read 47,452 times
Thanks so much everyone; I'll keep looking!

Old 10-13-2014, 08:05 AM

2,335 posts, read 2,553,420 times
Two places that I have personal experience with are Plantation Oaks and Spanish Oaks, both in West Ashley. I don't know the current pricing, but they are probably at the top of your budget. They both have good access to bus transportation, but I hear the bus routes and schedules are not great. These apartments are relatively safe and in tolerable condition for the price range.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:08 PM

15 posts, read 30,631 times
Default Places to live for seniors?

I, too, am wanting to move to Charleston. I am a senior lady and am thinking of Canterbury House or Canterbury East on Market Street. Does anyone know of this complex and have any comments?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area