Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 02:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,797 times

Advertisements

Curious! Is there any Scottish, English or Irish living in Charleston? If so, what are your thoughts? I currently live in the US (Maryland) and i am married to an American with 2 young kids. I am just curious to the British/Irish perspective of living there! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 02:48 PM

882 posts, read 1,462,552 times
My wife is Scottish (Renfrewshire) and we moved to Charleston about a year ago from DC.

We absolutely love it here, but to be honest it's got little to do with the fact that she's scottish ... people are generally very nice no matter where you're from. That said, I do run across a lot of folks from the UK, and I think there's a Scottish society group type .thing going on ... the Publix in MP even has a small section with British goods. No Scampi Fries or Frazzles tho, we have those shipped from the UK.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:43 PM

Wow DC! We are in Annapolis, MD, not too far from DC. My husband and I toy with the idea of moving there and I actually flew down and drove around all the subdivisions in MP. We used to live in Atlanta but love the smaller town and slower pace of life, but I am struggling to pull the plug. I actually love Annapolis; but not the cost of housing. So I am somewhat conflicted. Tell your wife I am from Ayrshire. Where in MP did you buy?

Old 10-26-2014, 10:00 PM

We bought a home in I'on ... but there are loads of great places to live in MP and and Charleston proper. And coming to Charleston from Annapolis is actually a very natural move as the two share a lot of common elements. Come down and spend some time investigating it for yourself ... I think you will really like it, and compared to the mid-atlantic (price per square foot) you can get a lot of home for you money down here.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:24 AM

52 posts, read 58,508 times
Annapolis is a beautiful spot. I spent a few weeks there last summer with my son. We were doing back to back lacrosse camps and we thoroughly enjoyed our time there.

As far as your moving here goes: The good news is that the flight from BWI to Charleston is easy so taking a few trip to make sure Charleston/Mt Pleasant is the place for you is fairly easy. Do you like older neighborhoods or newer? Older neighborhoods are going to be found South of 41 and newer neighborhoods North of 41. Are amenities important? North of 41 has more neighborhoods with amenities, that be said, there are some neighborhoods like Creekside, Hobcaw Point, Belle Hall and Ion that have all have pools - some have tennis courts and boating facilities. North of 41 a few places to start are Dunes West - typically bigger lot sizes, Rivertowne, and Hamlin Plantation. Carolina Park is one of the newest developments and has several neighborhoods within the larger development. I gather schools will be with small children.

Good luck!

Old 10-27-2014, 10:29 AM

52 posts, read 58,508 times
And no Veda Bread if you are familiar with that!

Old 10-28-2014, 02:14 PM

124 posts, read 204,806 times
Coming from Annapolis be prepared for shopping culture shock - nowhere near what is available in the Annapolis area.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:53 PM

Lol! Shopping! That may the deal breaker - I love to shop! Re: neighborhoods I loved I'on and Hibben- these two were my favorites! I have a lot to think about and hopefully I will come to a conclusion soon; one way or another. Thanks for the input.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:10 PM

I'm not sure what cookiesmom is talking about ... shopping choices in Charleston are FAR greater than that of Annapolis. Other than a few quaint shops everyone we know in Annapolis schleps to DC for shopping. The only thing that is lacking here are department stores, and that's a failing/doomed business model across the country. Charleston does not have the shopping choices of a major city, but certainly a great deal more than Annapolis.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:46 PM

124 posts, read 204,806 times
Annapolis has Nordstrom's, Macy's, Lord and Taylor, Saks, Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn, Country Curtains.... Wegman's, IKEA, Container Store, L L Bean are all within 25 miles .... Not everybody is into boutique shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area