U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 09:16 AM

57 posts, read 109,971 times

Advertisements

I'm in Summerville checking the area out with a view to move here. However, it's kind of....ugly. Maybe I'm just not used to it but the roads with all the millions of shopping centers and tall signs all look the same to me and I feel like there's just nothing pretty here, nothing special, nothing to look at, while driving around in every day life. Are there any rural or countryside towns around here that would be more pretty to look at? Or would I just have to come in to Summerville for everything anyway? I hope I haven't offended anyone. Maybe it's just I'm used to where I've come from, which was very, very different. Maybe this just what the south looks like.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 09:34 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,563,863 times
With the exception of historic downtown Summerville, it's a lot of sprawl and undeveloped land.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:35 AM

2,187 posts, read 2,669,827 times
Dorchester it's just north of summerville

Old 11-02-2014, 11:54 AM

57 posts, read 109,971 times
I don't mean downtown, I mean the whole area. But sprawl and undeveloped describes it well.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:01 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,966,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives View Post
I don't mean downtown, I mean the whole area. But sprawl and undeveloped describes it well.
What exactly were you looking for and where are you coming from to compare areas around Summerville to?

Old 11-02-2014, 12:06 PM

7,096 posts, read 5,466,847 times
Quote:
I'm in Summerville checking the area out with a view to move here. However, it's kind of....ugly. Maybe I'm just not used to it but the roads with all the millions of shopping centers and tall signs all look the same to me and I feel like there's just nothing pretty here, nothing special, nothing to look at, while driving around in every day life. Are there any rural or countryside towns around here that would be more pretty to look at? Or would I just have to come in to Summerville for everything anyway? I hope I haven't offended anyone. Maybe it's just I'm used to where I've come from, which was very, very different. Maybe this just what the south looks like.
You should check out the Knightsville area, it's just north of S'vill and you can find acre plus lots there. Also, if you don't mind getting a little more rural, check out Ridgeville, St. George, Holly Hill, and Vance. Jedburg is just north of S'ville as well and it's getting developed fast, especially around I26, but there's still plenty of rural as you move away from the center of S'ville.

Last edited by WiseManOnceSaid; 11-02-2014 at 12:56 PM..

Old 11-02-2014, 12:26 PM

7,096 posts, read 5,466,847 times
Quote:

This is a shining example of the southern charm you can still find around here. It's in Holly Hill and just sold for $395,000. 5 acres, 6K square feet, built in 1908. Pecan orchard in the front yard.

Last edited by WiseManOnceSaid; 11-02-2014 at 12:57 PM..

Old 11-02-2014, 01:32 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,823,766 times
I originally come from a postcard-like New England town that's surrounded by other postcard-like towns, and despite this, there are few parts of Summerville that I would consider "ugly". In my opinion it's better looking than most places in which I've lived or visited, and a large part of town is downright gorgeous.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:13 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,563,863 times
I would suggest The area around Cainhoy and Wando River: you have all the scenery, minus the ugly.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:25 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,323,916 times
[quote=Chs2014;37118503]I would suggest The area around Cainhoy and Wando River: you have all the scenery, .

. Since we don't know what other considerations the OP is dealing with ie .. budget, commute requirement's, schools .. et al ... I would agree Cain Hoy and Wando as well as Awendaw and McCllenville or Edisto might fill the bill ... over development hasn't hit the area yet and since they have easy beach access.. it isn't likely to get the sprawl that's so objectionable to the OP,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area