Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 06:01 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,669 times

Advertisements

[quote=NS_Highlander;2446429]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
To a Southerner, a Yankee is anybody NOT from the South. Yes, it includes Canadians and Idahoans (and yes, I know where Idaho is!).
No, it does not mean only folks from New England. It means ANYBODY who's not from the South.

Calling a Canadian a Yank is ignorant. Call us Canucks, hockey freaks or hosers if you like, just not Yanks! People in Canada would never call southerners Yanks, and are respectful of southern heritage. This is done despite the fact that most of the continental US is to the south of us, and it would be very easy to lump all Americans into this same "Yankee" boat.
Also, Canadians are subjects of the Queen. A Yankee hasn't bowed to her since the days of the Boston Tea party! If anyone thinks Bush is a bad president, just think how I must feel about Charles becoming my KING!!!!
NS the term Yankee has a different meaning here in the States than it does up there, and we're in America talking about how an American area talks about others so calling anything north from here Yankee territory is perfectly acceptable... assimilate will ya... lol

it's like the bumper sticker says... we don't care how you do it up there, you are here now so do it like we do

you know the ole saying when in Rome do as Romans...

Old 01-07-2008, 06:35 PM

64 posts, read 306,313 times
[quote=meks;2447225]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS_Highlander View Post

NS the term Yankee has a different meaning here in the States than it does up there, and we're in America talking about how an American area talks about others so calling anything north from here Yankee territory is perfectly acceptable... assimilate will ya... lol

it's like the bumper sticker says... we don't care how you do it up there, you are here now so do it like we do

you know the ole saying when in Rome do as Romans...

You are correct about in Rome do as the Romans. But, the problem is Rome also means everywhere and it works both ways....

I will have to remind everyone back home to start calling everyone to the south of the Canadian border as Yanks- especially southerners! lol

Old 01-07-2008, 06:56 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,885 times
That's fine....just do it in Canada.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:23 PM

[quote=sbohandley;2447533]
Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post

You are correct about in Rome do as the Romans. But, the problem is Rome also means everywhere and it works both ways....

I will have to remind everyone back home to start calling everyone to the south of the Canadian border as Yanks- especially southerners! lol
no offense but it doesn't work both ways, I have no intention of ever visiting Canada... there's enough places I haven't seen yet right here in my own country thanks, and that keeps my fellow Americans at work

and you're in a S.C. thread as well, so this is our Rome...

Old 01-07-2008, 08:10 PM

64 posts, read 306,313 times
[quote=meks;2448016]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbohandley View Post

no offense but it doesn't work both ways, I have no intention of ever visiting Canada... there's enough places I haven't seen yet right here in my own country thanks, and that keeps my fellow Americans at work

and you're in a S.C. thread as well, so this is our Rome...

Well, if you want to visit or not that is your choice. There are plenty that do want to visit. But, if you did want to visit I would hope that your heritage would be treated with more respect than someone simply referring to you as a "Yank".

As far as what you say about "fellow" Americans and work. I will put it to you like this, people in Canada respect the south for what it is. I have head some pretty negative things not worth repeating said in New England (by your "fellow americans") about the south.

I am all for Southern culture, the confederate flag and the polite and friendly culture of the south. I lived for 2 years in Vermont, people there have different history and values than they do here. My point is that calling me a "Yank" flies in the face of real southern values of politeness and is just as offensive to me, as it would be to you Meks.

Historically, yes southern soldiers fought against Union forces, but than again so did Canadian forces under Great Britian in the war of 1812. The confederate soldiers were no more Yanks than the Canadians ones were in their battle.

Like I said before, call me a "hoser" if you want, but calling everyone a yank is ignorant, even if it is in your back yard.

There is a word in the dictionary called Hospitaltiy. It is about being a good host.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:19 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,598 times
My, how defensive we crazy humans are. What a nice life the house cat must have--not a care in the world about where you are from as long as you feed them and change their litter. For being so smart, we sure have our undergarments in a bunch about stupid things. If you want to live in a state of civil unrest and talk about America in terms of secular territories that belong only to a select few of elitists then try visiting the Gaza Strip sometime.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:11 PM

99 posts, read 354,930 times
WOW!!!
Talk about discouraging tourism!!!

Old 01-08-2008, 06:44 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,598 times
The type of people who attack others on this forum are also the same who think that their farts don't stink, their thoughts are golden, and their words are like a delicate flower. They seek our forums like this because it is the only thing they have going on in their lives, and they thrive on being bitter and making others feel bad for no reason. I don't think people will be discouraged to visit and/or live in the great state of SC as long as they are able to recognize this fact. Miserable people like make others miserable.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbohandley View Post

Well, if you want to visit or not that is your choice. There are plenty that do want to visit. But, if you did want to visit I would hope that your heritage would be treated with more respect than someone simply referring to you as a "Yank".

As far as what you say about "fellow" Americans and work. I will put it to you like this, people in Canada respect the south for what it is. I have head some pretty negative things not worth repeating said in New England (by your "fellow americans") about the south.

I am all for Southern culture, the confederate flag and the polite and friendly culture of the south. I lived for 2 years in Vermont, people there have different history and values than they do here. My point is that calling me a "Yank" flies in the face of real southern values of politeness and is just as offensive to me, as it would be to you Meks.

Historically, yes southern soldiers fought against Union forces, but than again so did Canadian forces under Great Britian in the war of 1812. The confederate soldiers were no more Yanks than the Canadians ones were in their battle.

Like I said before, call me a "hoser" if you want, but calling everyone a yank is ignorant, even if it is in your back yard.

There is a word in the dictionary called Hospitaltiy. It is about being a good host.
I understood what you typed the first time, evidently you didn't understand me

I merely meant that Yank has a different meaning here, as in I was trying to explain somewhat

I didn't mean it was ok to call you something you think is offensive, I even took my confederate decals off of my truck when I took the blinders off and realized how it affected others

I didn't know Yank was offense to you Canadians until you typed it, but that won't stop others from calling you a Yank if they don't know better or anyone north from here a Yankee... and coming from an American it usually refers to another part of this country, not yours

in any case no offense meant dude and I appoligize if I misrepresented my point...

it's all in fun to us anyway, you calling me a redneck would just bring a laugh... after all I know who/what I am and it'd be ridiculous for me to take offense when someone is so obviously just talking trash for the sake of amusement

but there is still no both ways from me, too many other countries just want our money/help and with the ability to slam us in one way or another at the same time... not this dude

and we have enough tourist already with a never ending supply always in route, my little two cents of input here wouldn't stop the first one

oh and btw Vermont's beauuutiful, I have family there too...

Old 01-08-2008, 04:21 PM

96 posts, read 443,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
The type of people who attack others on this forum are also the same who think that their farts don't stink, their thoughts are golden, and their words are like a delicate flower. They seek our forums like this because it is the only thing they have going on in their lives, and they thrive on being bitter and making others feel bad for no reason. I don't think people will be discouraged to visit and/or live in the great state of SC as long as they are able to recognize this fact. Miserable people like make others miserable.
what is it with you and farts . jus kiddin . rebel yell.carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area