U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-15-2008, 07:33 AM

68 posts, read 126,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersgirl View Post
Unfortunately you'd be suprised how many "Yankees" can be racist too. Just because they aren't waving a flag around doesnt mean they arent thinking it.

Never the less I'm from PA looking to move to the South. I'm in sales and have been told that some of the Southern folk (particularly in my rural accounts if i got any down there) wouldn't take too kindly to my strong Northern accent and therefore it'd be harder for me to form relationships and do business with them. Is that true?
I'm from Pgh too, Steelergirl. And still have trouble making a different sound for the words collar and color...all sound like "keller" to me. Nobody gives me a hard time about my accent, although occasionally someone recognizes me as a pgher for the way I talk. They do call pop "soda" down here, and nobody knows what a "jagoff" is, lol. but you'll love it!

Old 01-15-2008, 12:25 PM

96 posts, read 294,048 times
Default hapscat

what is a "jagoff" ?

Old 01-15-2008, 05:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,367 times
Default Just moved south

I am also a Yankee. I moved to Charleston from Pittsburgh right after Christmas. I haven't been called Yankee too many times, but I have been called "snow bird" a few times because when it's 50 degrees out, I'm warm.. compared to most of the locals that are all bundled up like it's freezing outside. That's a trait of northerners moving south I would imagine.

But I lived in Pittsburgh for 29 years and just up and decided to move to Charleston for the business opportunities. I gave up a good job, all my friends and family, and just decided to do this.

I LOVE Charleston. I LOVE the south and all of the people. I have not yet felt any negativity since I've been down here from any of the people, just based on where I was from. Southern Hospitality is definitely alive and well.

take care,

Nick B.
[url=http://www.dimensionmediaservices.com]Dimension Media Services, LLC[/url]

Old 01-15-2008, 07:01 PM

1,708 posts, read 3,610,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scdreamer View Post
It could just be because we're in an SC forum, but...

I find it interesting that people from the North are expected to learn the Southern customs and adapt to them when they travel or move South. However, Southerners can continue to use the yes sir/no ma'am phrases in the North, even if it offends the Northern natives.

Seems a bit unfair, in my opinion.
My mom was 6 yrs old at the time how was she to know? lol It was a long time ago so I'm sure things have change....At least with some people as I was in NYC back in 2001 and used it all the time and noone seemed offended. It's just a habit that even at my age I still say it.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:02 PM

1,708 posts, read 3,610,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabelle View Post
I wasn't implying that you were confused but that the waitress was confused.
Ah, sorry for the confusion.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:43 AM

203 posts, read 631,495 times
Same here!

Old 01-17-2008, 03:35 PM

267 posts, read 520,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porchlight View Post
I'm from Pgh too, Steelergirl. And still have trouble making a different sound for the words collar and color...all sound like "keller" to me. Nobody gives me a hard time about my accent, although occasionally someone recognizes me as a pgher for the way I talk. They do call pop "soda" down here, and nobody knows what a "jagoff" is, lol. but you'll love it!
Hahahaha!!! Jagoff is my absolute FAVORITE Pittsburgh expression, and I also miss the expression "I'm just jaggin' ya." I've only been here a couple of months, but I totally love it here. I just miss my friends terribly, but hopefully I can convince them to come on dahn.

Another thing that Pittsburghers do (and I can recognize it anywhere), is when they ask a question, the inflection goes down at the end, instead of up, so everything sounds like a statement instead of a question.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:41 PM

267 posts, read 520,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapscat View Post
what is a "jagoff" ?
A jagoff is a goofball or someone that is just kind of a jerk. When used as a verb, "jag" is to kid someone; i.e., I'm just jaggin' ya.

Not to be confused with a "jaggerbush", which is a bush with lots of stickers on it that hurts if you fall into it

Old 01-26-2008, 10:17 PM

37 posts, read 100,472 times
If u consider bumper stickers that state "Go back to Ohio" and "We don't care how you do it up north" old south, than yes this area is old south. We've been here for 2 years and I can't tell you the number of times that people ask where we're from and when we say Ohio the reply is "Are any of you still left up there"?...and not in a nice tone.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:51 PM

14 posts, read 75,929 times
This may be off point, but I have to add my 2 cents (or perhaps I am venting??)
...I think Northerners just say what they think without thinking about it first or they just don't care what they say? Please note I am only going on my personal experience (that is all I have).
My husband was born in Delaware and lived most of his youth in Ohio, close to MI. I live in central KY. He moved here after college because of a job opportunity. After we met and married I received so much grief about my accent and about how all Kentuckians are "redneck" from my husbands parents friends and family when we visited. His parents would say to my husband, "Oh my gosh, you are picking up THAT accent; that is hillbilly."
I must say, we are far from redneck, and I know you probably can't determine that from a simple post, but trust me on this. It always amazed me that they would be so rude and consider only people from the south "redneck". When, to be quite honest, they were way more "redneck" that anyone I had encountered before. Their actions and lifestyles are what we would consider to be redneck, but would we ever say that to someone?
I really have no point here...Just wanted to say now my in laws live in the South (NC). They still poke fun at "ya'll" and southern slang. It is just so annoying!
Okay, I am finished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area