Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 04:09 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,423,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
I'm still baffled....

We're a family of 2, not counting the dog - LOL.

Neither of us are big eaters, and we don't eat ANY junk food - Coke, Pepsi, chips, cookies, crackers, etc. OR processed foods, due to health issues.

We buy eggs, milk, cereal, steel cut oats, bread, deli meat, cheese, frozen veggies, fresh fruit, an occasional bottle of wine, chicken and ground beef and condiments, along with paper towels, laundry detergent, and toilet paper. We do crock pot meals that last several nights. I've this month been trying to shop mostly sale items - the 2 for 1s, etc.

I just can't understand why our grocery bill for two months now - has been consistently over $900!!!!!!!!!! Never, ever did we spend more than $500 in MA and then we were buying cookies once in a while and some frozen meals.

Are we being gouged here on DI because we are a captive audience with only one grocery store here??? I've thought about shopping for one month in MP just to see, but if others are paying near this then I guess we'd better start using coupons and having my husband shop on Wed so he can get the Senior discount (5% off) at the Publix here.

I'm just flabbergasted at this bill.
Supermarket chains charge the same prices throughout their respective regions ... youll find the same prices at each store within the same chain in the metro area. they produce their
weekly flyers for all the lowcountry stores. They may carry a selection of different products given the local market... but generally not on basic stuff and not to supplant their usual products.

I just got back from a week in CT ... did some grocery shopping and found prices higher than here on almost everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 04:11 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,088 times
Thx all for the info. Good to know DI Publix I no higher than Publix elsewhere. I do like Publix.

Will have to be better about coupon clipping....

Old 02-23-2015, 05:09 PM

859 posts, read 1,361,448 times
Try Trader Joes for some of those staples. Eggs, butter, ground beef, ground turkey, wine and lots more is just a better bargain.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:32 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Aldi's will be opening there later this year I understand.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:12 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,088 times
What's Aldi's?

Old 02-23-2015, 06:48 PM

Aldi's is a German Grocer. It is also a sister store to Trader Joes. Great prices, great selection!

https://www.aldi.us

Old 02-24-2015, 05:36 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times
When I shopped an Aldi the last time I was out of town on business for more than a week I wasn't impressed. It seemed like a Big Lots meets a grocery store.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
When I shopped an Aldi the last time I was out of town on business for more than a week I wasn't impressed. It seemed like a Big Lots meets a grocery store.
No different than all the grocery stores selling things other than groceries. The quailty is good, more than affordable and partner with local resources to provide local eggs, milk and produce. The "healthier" options of snacks and GF are really good. The "german" chocolate goodies are awesome and the wine they offer is not bad either.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:37 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
AGREE! Well said...

Old 02-24-2015, 10:46 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Trader Joes is probabaly my favorite and they have off-brands, but you really cant beat Walmart's prices, and their mobile app is amazing. Publix to me is #1 in quality, but their prices are high.

Ruffles at Publix: $4.29, full price. Ruffles at Walmart: $2.68. Even Publix's generic brand chips are more expensive. If you want fruits and speciality items like subs and chicken and sushi, do Publix or Traders. But if youre going to buy some chips, then go to Walmart.

If anyone feels theyre too good for Walmart then they need to get over themselves. You save money, and thats the #1 thing. I shop at all 3, but you cant really be picky in the grand scheme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area