Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 03:15 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,088 times

Advertisements

I have to admit, I love Publix on Daniel Island, and love the convenience, but it is NOT cheap!

Can anyone tell me what grocery store in MP is good quality but also good for prices? Or does it differ based on what you are buying?

Have only been to Whole Foods in MP, and that although I love that store - especially the meat section - that wasn't cheap either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 04:16 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
Whole Foods is generally the priciest of all the well sized chain stores. I think Publix is pretty reasonable. I'm typically not a sale shopper but their coupons/sales/BOGO items are usually products I would actually use and the store brands have never disappointed me. Plus I like their bread more than any store except dedicated bakeries.

Typically I would say Piggly Wiggly is the best mix of price/quality but they really do change character from store to store to store and I'm not sure which if any of the Mt Pleasant ones are still open.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:25 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,158 times
I don't know why, but basic groceries are surprisingly expensive here. I never used to be a bargain shopper, but I am now!

Old 01-20-2015, 05:53 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,088 times
How is Harris Teeter?

Minkey, where do you shop?

Old 01-20-2015, 06:44 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
I don't know why, but basic groceries are surprisingly expensive here. I never used to be a bargain shopper, but I am now!
Could the Charleston regional market have a higher population with higher incomes with some being disposable?

Old 01-20-2015, 06:51 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Typically I would say Piggly Wiggly is the best mix of price/quality but they really do change character from store to store to store and I'm not sure which if any of the Mt Pleasant ones are still open.
Piggly Wiggly Carolina Company sold its Mount Pleasant stores to Bi-Lo and Harris Teeter in 2013. It will be interesting to see which stores remain open if Kroger, Harris Teeter's parent company, acquires Bi-Lo Holdings.

Further reading:
Kritzer, Ashley Gurbal. "Kroger looking to bag a major acquisition - could buying Bi-Lo/Winn-Dixie land it in Florida?" Tampa Bay Business Journal. 2015-01-18. Accessed 2015-01-20. <http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/blog/morning-edition/2015/01/kroger-looking-to-bag-a-major-acquisition-could.html>

Last edited by Carolina Knight; 01-20-2015 at 07:00 PM..

Old 01-20-2015, 07:07 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
I have never been a cost shopper. I lean more toward quality and selection. When I lived in MTP (until 4 year ago), I preferred Harris Teeter then Publix. Next were newer BI-LO stores. Then the newer Pig stores. The one I hated and avoided was Food Lion. I did shop Whole Foods for select items but overall, they are not as special as they think they are. There was no Trader Joe's in MTP at the time

What with recent mergers, it is hard to keep track of the players and if the differences still exist.

The nickname of Whole Foods has always been Whole Paycheck.....LOL

Old 01-20-2015, 07:12 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,278,164 times
Walmart

Old 01-20-2015, 08:02 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Could the Charleston regional market have a higher population with higher incomes with some being disposable?
Incomes are higher here? Really?

I'm sorry, but this isn't Fairfield County, the Hamptons, Beverly Hills or the tech enclaves of SF as much as some might want to believe it is.

Thankfully, it's not!

Most people who've moved here and MANY WHO HAVE ALWAYS LIVED HERE would not be considered wealthy or anywhere near it.
Yes, there are a select few really rich people here, but the overwhelming majority are not.

I moved here from NY which is known for having lots of rich people and being expensive, before that I lived in some affluent parts if CT (rich people places with high income earners), and to me the grocery prices here are crazy ridiculous.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:11 PM

882 posts, read 1,462,723 times
Minkey, prices wouldn't be this high if there weren't enough folks with high enough incomes to pay them. Mt Pleasant has very affluent sections, plus its supermarkets also service the affluent areas of DI, SI, IoP, and even downtown Charleston residents who don't want to use their HT. Heck I know people from Kiawah that will schlep all the way to the Whole Foods in MP.

We buy all our non produce related groceries at BI-LO and all our produce at Trader Joe's, which we find fresher and cheaper than Publix or HT, never mind Whole Foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area