Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 03:25 PM

65 posts, read 109,804 times

Advertisements

i know many (myself included) that live here, but telework for companies based DC, San Fran, etc. The salaries are better, and you get to work from home. The shortage is nationwide - even in the big cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 09:07 AM

657 posts, read 738,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
A lot of people dont believe in "big government", but fact is, it takes a lot of good government to create an encouraging environment for this stuff.
That's what the market is for. They will either figure it out or fail. The government has nothing to do with it, nor should it.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:44 PM

372 posts, read 808,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resomod View Post
i know many (myself included) that live here, but telework for companies based DC, San Fran, etc. The salaries are better, and you get to work from home. The shortage is nationwide - even in the big cities.
I would love to have a job where I could tele-commute. Stay home and not have to drive in the crazy traffic

Old 02-22-2015, 07:01 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,354,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEB1786 View Post
That's what the market is for. They will either figure it out or fail. The government has nothing to do with it, nor should it.
You don't get it. Governments compete to draw businesses. That IS the market. You can have your government be your vision of "right" and watch from the side, or get in the ring and compete. That means proactively deciding what type of industries they want in their community and creating the incentives to draw them in. That could mean anything from infrastructure upgrades or tax credits.

Last edited by IsNull; 02-22-2015 at 07:32 PM..

Old 02-23-2015, 07:02 AM

54 posts, read 63,568 times
I'd love to have a tele-communte job too!!!

Old 02-23-2015, 12:00 PM

21 posts, read 56,395 times
I agree with everyone. The salary here for IT professionals is definitely way too low. Also, the main IT industry here is either the VA or SPAWAR. And it's mostly "contracting" work. If another company outbids or the project is cancelled, then you're out of a job. I know there are some other private sector companies: BenefitFocus, Boeing, and Blackbaud. But that's really all there is, and BenefitFocus and Blackbaud have bad reputations of overworking developers and underpaying them.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,462 times
I think the main issue goes back to pay and for me non government opportunities in my IT field of database architect/data warehousing . I relocated to Charleston about 8 years ago and since that time have worked remote for a company back in Northern Virginia. Working from home for 8 years has lost its appeal some what since I am missing the daily interaction with my co-workers. I have tried to find some local opportunities here in Charleston but only government based contact work seem to pay anything decently. With the current way SPAWAR contracts are being awarded I am staying away from there since I rather have a position for the long haul and not look for a new position each year as the contract is lost to another company. My resume shows I rather stay with one company for a long time, 8 years with America Online(AOL) in VA and then 9 years with my current employer. So any local companies looking for a mid to senior level database engineer with experience designing an enterprise level data warehouse and reporting/analytical environment please let me know.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:02 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,354,507 times
https://www.jobs.musc.edu/postings/s...&commit=Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: