Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 12:17 PM

4 posts, read 4,557 times

Advertisements

Hi:

First time poster living in NE PA.

I'm looking for a "kickstart," this is, advice I can use to [at least] provide a starting point for a search for an area and finally a residence to purchase to eventually move down to SC [within the next 18 months].

Specifics:
Male, Retired, single, fixed income, can easily handle a $150 - $200K mortgage, have dogs [Labs], currently live in NE PA with 5+ acres, and I live a conservative life but like to feel a level of sophistication in the general area that I live in.

I plan to take a drive to the Summerville area within the next few weeks to look around, with the thought of:

1. Finding a cheap place to rent within the next few months - the idea would be a base of operations to be used for multiple visits this summer - and probably to live in during the winter of 2015/2016.

I Would have one dog with me for these [multiple] visits.

2. The reason I am focusing on the North Charleston area is because the Del Webb company has a community there, and my research concluded that THEY researched that area and therefore it's somewhat more desirable for older folks.

3. I would like to be within 60 minutes of a number of reasonably priced public golf courses, as I play golf 2 - 3 times each week in PA [in season].

4. I would also like to be within an hour, or so, of the ocean - for a once a month drive with the dogs.

I don't know what other input to add here, so I'm open to any and all comments [both positive and negative].

Thank you in advance,
JAK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 02:24 PM

142 posts, read 164,022 times
Bear --

One of the Realtors on this forum provided this link to get a feel for prices.....
Charleston South Carolina Advanced Real Estate Search

I can recommend Westcott Plantation as a Public Golf Course, from personal experience. Your requirement for 1 hour or so to the Ocean may rule out the western-most sections of Summerville.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:22 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,158 times
You shouldn't have much trouble finding a rental in Summerville that will accept your dog(s). Back last summer when searching listings for our planned move, my challenge was finding a nice pet-friendly rental for our managerie of FIVE, and I actually found several!

P.S., from most parts of Summerville you can reach a beach in well under one hour, unless traveling in mid commute time. From where we are ("in town"), it's about 40 minutes.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:45 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
Bear,
North of Charleston area includes North Charleston, Summerville, Goose Creek and Hanahan. All of those would fit the parameters you're looking for in terms of price point, proximity to golf courses and most of the area would be within an hour of the beach if not during rush hr. They all have some really nice areas and some not so nice areas. Cane Bay (where Del Webb is) is nice but also one of the farthest out locations.

Budget up to $200k? Size of house, # of Bdrms/baths, lot size?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area