U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 12:06 PM

3 posts, read 8,512 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am thinking about moving to SC, not too serious about it yet, just doing some research and I found that Charleston has a pretty high amount of murders for a city its size. (just over 3 times the national average) Is there a "bad" part of town where most of this occurs? I dont want to be scared to go out at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 02:23 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,048,273 times
There are higher crime spots in Charleston city, and the surrounding areas, which is typical of anywhere really. A quick call to the Charleston City Police Department can answer all of your concerns. Typically, areas like Eastside, the North Charleston neck, and those spots immediately bordering hwy 17 through the peninsula, have seen a higher occurrence of crime than other areas on the peninsula, but crime exists everywhere.

Regardless of where you live, you should always be cautious and responsible while going out at night. There isn't a neighborhood in existence that's 100% crime free.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:02 AM

64 posts, read 211,014 times
Yes, extra vigilance is required in certain areas. However, apart from domestic situations when you look at who gets murdered, it is often people in the wrong place, at the wrong time, with the wrong crowd by their own choosing. I am not trying to blame the victim here, but if they were at home at night watching "little house on the prairie" they wouldn't be found face down in a gutter.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:03 PM

96 posts, read 302,962 times
two murders today. pepperhill . right off ashley phosphate . probably drug related .

Old 01-14-2008, 09:49 AM

1,708 posts, read 3,729,475 times
I agree. I remember back in the 70's and early 80's. That used to be a nice place to live in. It has totally gone down hill since.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:55 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,892,545 times
most of the murders here are black on black drug crimes, and very often... almost daily anymore

check out our local paper charleston.net and read in the archives for more

like DJ said, call either the Charleston County Sheriff's office, Charleston City PD, N.CharlestonCity PD, Dorchester Co Sheriff's, Berkeley Sheriff's, or any of the towns PD's that you are looking at to get a better understanding of areas

hint, ChasCo Sheriff dept has jurisdiction over the entire 100 mile area of Chas... including the ChasCity and N.ChasCity areas

Old 01-14-2008, 08:02 PM

9 posts, read 45,407 times
We moved to Summerville (from NJ) in September and the crime here really surprised me. Within our first week there were TWO murders within 2 miles of our house. And for the first month or so every single night on the news there was a story about a bank robbery ... which really surprised me ... I didn't even know they still robbed banks in this day and age. Then one night in October I ran out to Bi-Lo at about 8:30 which is about 1/2 mile from my house and the Family Dollar next door had just been robbed. There were cops everywhere and they even searched my subdivision for the suspect.

It's very scary. I haven't been out of my house at night since around Thanksgiving, unless its with a group of people, like to go to dinner.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:07 AM

890 posts, read 2,970,326 times
Most of the murders always have one thing in common. Drugs. If it's not drugs then it is usually a domestic dispute. Summerville has had a few bank robberies but not every single day for a month. You'd think the criminals would have figured it out by now that there are cameras everywhere. duh.

Crime can happen anywhere and more and more it is being seen in the suburbs. Just like the man that was murdered in his home in the Charleston National neighborhood in Mount Pleasant. No one ever thought something like that would happen there either but it did. You've got to watch your back everywhere these days.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:08 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,151,882 times
Yea and if the NY Giants don't win this weekend you may see a suicide

Old 02-12-2008, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,432 times
I have been away from Mt. Pleasant, SC for 12 living in Jacksonville, Florida. I agree that crime in the Charleston area is terrible. However, It is beautiful in the Mt. Pleasant, Isles of Palms, Sullivans Island area. When I am in town visiting my parents I feel as safe in Mt. Pleasant as I felt when I was a child growing up there. If you plan on relocating to SC, Mt. Pleasant is the way to go. I have never been a fan of North Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area