U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 08:42 PM

4,181 posts, read 2,475,612 times

Advertisements

Whats your usage and things you have done to reduce usage, ie temp in house, bulb type and use, laundry etc.
Mine was 3100Kwh usage this bill, and about the same for Feb bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 09:25 PM

75 posts, read 68,037 times
My problem is overall efficiency.

I find that the single largest driver of my power bill is my AC/Heating unit. The last few months, I've had $200+ bills, which is high for me. If I turn it off altogether (like I have now since the weather has calmed down a bit) the bill will be half that or less.

Depending on the age of your home, you may want to look into things like that. I have an older unit inside and out. That, coupled with poorly sealed windows and doors could cause some major problems when the bill comes out. If you have older appliances in other areas (fridge, stove, dishwasher, washer/dryer etc.) they may be inefficient as well and be drawing on your power more than you think. Updating might save you monthly but would require you to kick in for the upgrades now- roughly $5,000 for a new AC unit depending on the size of your house and what you get, $1,000 for low end kitchen appliances but you could easily triple that, a decent washer/dryer set is going to run you around $1,000 and you could replace your water heater for anywhere between $300 and 1,500 (assuming you install it yourself) or go tankless for between $200 and 900 per unit.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:33 AM

New Ac Hvac unit in 2010, cleaned yearly. Water Heater replaced last Christmas.
Stove is old, but we dont use it very often , more crock pot .
House is sealed pretty well. No drafts at doors and windows and attic is pretty well insulated. Thats my next project as I can see the jousts(correct word for 2x4/8s? going across floor), as it is blown insulation.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:29 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,793,011 times
Crappy CFL and incandescent lighting out -> LED lighting in.
Oversized HVAC system #1 out once it started leaking badly -> correctly sized HVAC system in.
We also did a lot of sealing around exterior doors, filled holes and a whole lot of work in general just making the place tighter.
Fiberglass insulation out -> closed cell foam in.

I'll have to wait until March numbers are in because last February was super cold and would be a bad comparison.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Crappy CFL and incandescent lighting out -> LED lighting in.
Oversized HVAC system #1 out once it started leaking badly -> correctly sized HVAC system in.
We also did a lot of sealing around exterior doors, filled holes and a whole lot of work in general just making the place tighter.
Fiberglass insulation out -> closed cell foam in.

I'll have to wait until March numbers are in because last February was super cold and would be a bad comparison.
Closed Cell foam? Where did you put that, if you dont mind me asking?

Old 03-17-2015, 08:16 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,793,011 times
We raised the ceiling in part of our house up to the rafters but the same thing would apply in a situation where there was already a cathedral ceiling in place. The drywall and ceiling joists came out, exposing the rafters, and decking above and attic space on three sides. Tarpaper was applied to the three sides exposed to the attic and closed cell was sprayed in there and on the underside of the decking. It works great. Before installing the ceiling I hit the foam with an IR gun a few times and it was always within a degree or so of ambient temperature. Since it's foam it also seals all gaps. I'd absolutely do it again in place of fiberglass.

edit: We may also put in foam underneath the house since the crawlspace is encapsulated and dehumidified. There is no insulation under the floor.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:49 AM

3,131 posts, read 3,115,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Closed Cell foam? Where did you put that, if you dont mind me asking?
Spray in foam installation can be used in the ceiling to have an enclosed attic space, the walls, and under the sub flooring if your are on a crawl space or elevated home.

We have spray in foam in our ceiling then turned what would have been a vented attic into usable floor space... work out area, an additional bed room, and storage. Of course we have to have HVAC for the area but it's worked out nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or