Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 03:19 PM

12,902 posts, read 18,751,931 times

Advertisements

I just street-viewed all around and up and down throughout the area where Shep's restaurant is. When Google last came through (When was that?), the area looked like definite "frontiersville." Are there any properties on the peninsula within the Charleston city limits that are neither a) renovated and now for sale for $500,000+, b) deep in a block where there's no demographic diversity or C) boarded up? In other words, is there anywhere left on the peninsula to be a pioneer if you want to live in a "tiny" house on a budget that's more about putting money away for retirement than it is about an abundance of housing square footage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 03:34 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,671 times
Well, I can't afford a Birken bag right now, but these are quite reasonable, and Amazon Prime too!

Amazon.com: Cocktail Kingdom Lewis Bag OTH_LEWISBAGXX_: Ice Crushers: Kitchen & Dining

Old 03-17-2015, 03:37 PM

2,310 posts, read 2,957,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
Well, I can't afford a Birken bag right now, but these are quite reasonable, and Amazon Prime too!

Amazon.com: Cocktail Kingdom Lewis Bag OTH_LEWISBAGXX_: Ice Crushers: Kitchen & Dining

wot?

OT: You'll be hard pressed to find a stand alone home for 500k on the peninsula that's not a piece of crap.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
wot?

OT: You'll be hard pressed to find a stand alone home for 500k on the peninsula that's not a piece of crap.
So West Ashley it would be. That's the suburbs. If you can't find a stand-alone house on the peninsula for $500,000 that's not a piece of crap, then Charleston has failed its citizens.

Last edited by Charlestondata; 03-17-2015 at 04:36 PM..

Old 03-17-2015, 05:08 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,210,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
So West Ashley it would be. That's the suburbs. If you can't find a stand-alone house on the peninsula for $500,000 that's not a piece of crap, then Charleston has failed its citizens.
??? It has failed by becoming too popular???

Few of us want to admit it but all the new jobs/industry/tech work that excites us also means bringing in a pool of buyers with deeper pockets those of us who were already in the market. West Ashley might disappoint as well because the close in areas are making a march toward the 500k mark for anything in a stable neighborhood and good condition. A 1400 sf 3 bed/1 bath on a goofy lot just sold at the end of my street- asking price was 380k & it sold in a about a month. A 3 bed/2.5 bath (new home in place of a teardown) three houses over from that one is asking 500k. And that is Avondale not the Crescent or even Byrnes Downs. Windemere & Old Windemere are also making a fast ascent. As someone who moved into their house in late 2006 I am breathing a big sigh of relief.

Back to being semi-on topic. I know one of Thomas Ravenel's nieces from college (mostly from a classmate I was good friend's with being her HS best friend) & worked with one of his former girlfriends. He is like the Mathew McConaughey character in Dazed in Confused crossed with Warren Beatty. All the young professional women/trust fund babies moved to Charleston and went out with him at least 3 times if their stories are to be believed. Ands his dating pool also never seemed to age as he did. But he is also more of a success in business than the show would lead one to believe.

And a couple of friends knew the girl with the rich boyfriend from season 1- not sure if she is still on since I've only caught snippets this go round. The assessments were not kind.

One of the girls worked at a cosmetic shop for a while & Whitney apparently is not as impressive as he seems to think. The mother character leaves me cold. She just seems like the type of person who marries well and then moves to a smaller town to lord the $ over everyone. Based entirely on TV since I have never met her- if she could veer more towards Karen Walker territory that Real Housewives I would completely reconsider!

Old 03-17-2015, 07:26 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
??? It has failed by becoming too popular???

Few of us want to admit it but all the new jobs/industry/tech work that excites us also means bringing in a pool of buyers with deeper pockets those of us who were already in the market. West Ashley might disappoint as well because the close in areas are making a march toward the 500k mark for anything in a stable neighborhood and good condition. A 1400 sf 3 bed/1 bath on a goofy lot just sold at the end of my street- asking price was 380k & it sold in a about a month. A 3 bed/2.5 bath (new home in place of a teardown) three houses over from that one is asking 500k. And that is Avondale not the Crescent or even Byrnes Downs. Windemere & Old Windemere are also making a fast ascent. As someone who moved into their house in late 2006 I am breathing a big sigh of relief.

Back to being semi-on topic. I know one of Thomas Ravenel's nieces from college (mostly from a classmate I was good friend's with being her HS best friend) & worked with one of his former girlfriends. He is like the Mathew McConaughey character in Dazed in Confused crossed with Warren Beatty. All the young professional women/trust fund babies moved to Charleston and went out with him at least 3 times if their stories are to be believed. Ands his dating pool also never seemed to age as he did. But he is also more of a success in business than the show would lead one to believe.

And a couple of friends knew the girl with the rich boyfriend from season 1- not sure if she is still on since I've only caught snippets this go round. The assessments were not kind.

One of the girls worked at a cosmetic shop for a while & Whitney apparently is not as impressive as he seems to think. The mother character leaves me cold. She just seems like the type of person who marries well and then moves to a smaller town to lord the $ over everyone. Based entirely on TV since I have never met her- if she could veer more towards Karen Walker territory that Real Housewives I would completely reconsider!
In reverse order ... you've hit it ... Pat Altshul ... is so close to a Karen Walker character that Ive ever met ...outrageous ... and very funny.

The original comment by C-data regarding West Ashley is completely out of order... West Ashley is part and parcel of the City of Charleston... as is Daniel / Cain Hoy, most of James and a part of Johns... our respected citizens live there as well ...and give any prospective resident a variety of choices when it comes to living within the city.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
In reverse order ... you've hit it ... Pat Altshul ... is so close to a Karen Walker character that Ive ever met ...outrageous ... and very funny.

The original comment by C-data regarding West Ashley is completely out of order... West Ashley is part and parcel of the City of Charleston... as is Daniel / Cain Hoy, most of James and a part of Johns... our respected citizens live there as well ...and give any prospective resident a variety of choices when it comes to living within the city.
I didn't mean West Ashley residents aren't Charleston residents. I know they've been in the city for decades. I just meant that West Ashley is designed like suburbia. If I ever moved to Charleston, that's probably where I would live, but my car would get a workout every day. I hope to get away from the car life at some point. Anyway, sorry to wander off the central topic. At least I started with Shep Rose's investment in historic Charleston on the peninsula, where I feel people of all income levels should be able to buy a house, without overt government assistance.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:07 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,279,493 times
They really brought the trashiness up several notches on the first show, compared to last season

Old 03-18-2015, 09:01 AM

The young attorney seems headed for trouble. He would be an interesting homeless person.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:52 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,037,668 times
I'll admit to watching the show but I'd like to see more of Cton and less of the 'characters' private matters.
Cameran does seem like the only level headed one and if I'm not mistaken, didn't she marry a doctor?
Shep is someone I'd like to party with. He reminds me of some college buddies (but with a trust fund).
Craig is probably smarter than he appears on the show and is just acting like a work goof and getting chewed out by his boss for the cameras because that's more interesting than being a workaholic lawyer.
Whitney is just a little bit of a strange dude, but again, someone I'd probably like to have drinks with. Whitney's mom is a total lush but hey, more power to her.
Katheryn is boring and is the worst part of the show. I don't find her the least bit attractive and she seems perpetually pissed off that she has a baby at 21 and will never again live the party lifestyle she's dreamed of.
TRav...like him. He's honest, owns up to his mistakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area