Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 06:08 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times

Advertisements

This is a house built on a lot that the county records say is .06 acre:

[vimeo]115135003[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/115135003

It's on Aiken st (east side) and sold for $365k. The lot sold about a year ago for $45k and could have been a deal where you might have been able to build your tiny house for under $120k if you had been lucky/savvy enough to get the lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 06:41 AM

75 posts, read 89,994 times
Anyone who washes dishes in Seattle or San Francisco and builds a home in Peninsular Charleston would have a hell of a commute...

Old 03-20-2015, 06:42 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Perhaps you should have clarified from the start that you were talking about a "Seattle dishwasher". I doubt there's many dishwashers anywhere else in the country that make $44k per year and certainly not here in Charleston. Your question seems to have morphed into "how small a house will the city let me build and how small can an individual lot be"? I dont' know those answers but they'd be easy to find out with a call to the city.
Sometimes I depend too much on other people's ability to make the leap. $22/hr in Seattle or SF ought to be about $15-$17/hr in Charleston. That kind of pay scale is coming to restaurants. Watch. A city, no matter where it is, should have housing stock available for purchase to those who make that kind of money. A big house with quartz countertops? No. But something livable. Period. That is also coming soon to our society. Watch.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
This is a house built on a lot that the county records say is .06 acre:

[vimeo]115135003[/vimeo]
[vimeo]115135003[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/115135003

It's on Aiken st (east side) and sold for $365k. The lot sold about a year ago for $45k and could have been a deal where you might have been able to build your tiny house for under $120k if you had been lucky/savvy enough to get the lot.
NOW YOU'RE TALKIN'. I would have built a house on the same scale as the one next to it, only smaller. Those people probably would have appreciated my house more. So it seems those opportunities do exist. Thank you so much.

If I know how to copy and paste from Google Street View, I would provide a link to a shot of these men renovating a 'tiny' A-frame house on Aiken Street. Do people go knocking on doors asking who owns tiny little cute boarded up houses so they can buy and rehab them to live in? No, I guess you'd look up the property tax number and find out that way. Cool deal. BTW, when those old ladies insisted Charleston preserve its housing stock, I think they meant the little ones, too. I hope those little ones aren't being razed to make way for noodles in the sky.

Last edited by Charlestondata; 03-20-2015 at 07:01 AM..

Old 03-20-2015, 07:49 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Quote:
Perhaps you should have clarified from the start that you were talking about a "Seattle dishwasher". I doubt there's many dishwashers anywhere else in the country that make $44k per year and certainly not here in Charleston. Your question seems to have morphed into "how small a house will the city let me build and how small can an individual lot be"? I dont' know those answers but they'd be easy to find out with a call to the city.
And it would be a royal pain to really start chopping up parcels of land. First you get to convince the city to let you do it which would probably be "fun." They all need their own utility connections and surveys, you get to play with the BAR, then everything needs to have a dwelling built in a way that meets all setback rules.

The sad thing is, there are probably a whole lot of steps to the process that I'm leaving out.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:00 AM

Hell, the BAR would probably tell you no just because it was never that small to begin with. Remember, these are the people who tell you what color to paint your house...

Old 03-20-2015, 08:16 AM

I Google-Street-Viewed around Aiken Street and got the picture of how small some of the vacant lots are. I would buy the smallest available and put a 500-square-foot (maybe less, with ultra-efficient design) charming A-frame cutie on it.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I Google-Street-Viewed around Aiken Street and got the picture of how small some of the vacant lots are. I would buy the smallest available and put a 500-square-foot (maybe less, with ultra-efficient design) charming A-frame cutie on it.
Good luck with that. I just did a real estate search for lots for sale on the peninsula. The least expensive one is $79K and it quickly goes up from there (next one is $150K). That means you would have to build your home for around $41k to stay in budget.

For the record, none of the lots are on Aiken St.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:38 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Thought this may interest some of you.....

Mayor Joe Riley says changes to Charleston’s BAR on the way - Post and Courier

Old 03-21-2015, 09:14 AM

Personally I have a problem with new residential construction in old neighborhoods being built out of scale. The BAR ought to quit allowing money to talk so loudly in that regard. Zoning could give the BAR that power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area