Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 06:14 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
The letter was born out of theory only. We are not actively planning or wishing to move to Charleston. We are of the 'never say never' school of thought, but, well, anyway... (Okay, so I fudged on all the comments about how serious we are.)...

Dear Mayor Riley:

We would like to live in a tiny house in Charleston. And I do mean tiny. My spouse and I need only a bare minimum of square footage, about 700. I would be happy with less, but he says no.

We want to live on the peninsula in a safe, walkable neighborhood that is near city amenities. We need our house to cost $120,000 max. We want it to be close to the sidewalk, but with a tiny yard to keep some flowers. We want it to be as charming as any house in Charleston, but tiny. It can sit next to a mansion if need be. We don't mind. And the mansion owner shouldn't mind. We just want to live in Charleston, on the peninsula, in the city, in a tiny house. We are very serious. This is not a joke.

We would also be happy living in a tiny house among many tiny houses, on a whole block or in a neighborhood of nothing but tiny houses, on tiny lots, with pretty flowers. We don't mind if people drive through and think there's no way they could live in such tiny houses. We just want to live in Charleston, on the peninsula, in the city, in a tiny house, with pretty flowers. We really are very serious. This is for real.

We are a white gay male couple, married. We are non-materialistic and just want to live in Charleston, in a tiny house, with a tiny yard, with pretty flowers. If what we desire is not possible in the city limits of Charleston on the peninsula, then Charleston has failed a large number of would-be Charlestonians. Seriously. Please help.

Sincerely,

Response:
Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to write Mayor Riley and for your interest in Charleston. We would suggest contacting a real estate agent for available properties on the peninsula. Then, proper permitting and approval would be required from our Zoning and Building Inspections offices as with any structure built within the City of Charleston.

Kind regards,

Actually, this might call for a fun day in Charleston with a visit to the City's zoning office and then with a real estate agent if the zoning office says what we would want is possible.

I imagine they are still laughing their a$$es off over that letter with all the tiny and serious stuff. I know I would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 06:31 PM

75 posts, read 90,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I imagine they are still laughing their a$$es off over that letter with all the tiny and serious stuff. I know I would.
Or just wondering why anyone would bother the mayor about it

Old 03-23-2015, 08:12 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
It should be about square footage. If someone is willing or even wants to live in a tiny amount of square footage, that option should be available for an amount that a dishwasher can afford, down the street from the restaurant. Period. It used to be that way. Cities have failed to keep it that way. Period. And in NYC, there's Queens for an urban lifestyle. In Charleston, West Ashley doesn't offer an urban lifestyle. Somewhere along the line in this society someone dropped the ball.
The Mayor is not a real estate agent. There is section8 and low income housing available in Charleston. Charleston has several low interest loan programs to help low income families remain in the city.

Your interest is specious. The Mayor's office was kind enough to respond and made a suggestion.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:12 PM

12,903 posts, read 18,756,320 times
I don't think my inquiry lacks merit. I do think my idea is true, right and attractive. Or did you mean suspicious? I guess I was guilty of thinking that if I were a mayor I would be abreast of the city's ordinances and zoning codes as they relate to how small a lot and/or house can be so that if I thought some new zoning rules were in order I would make the case. It's only a small step to go from a letter to the mayor about it to the City's zoning office.

Anyway, here's what should be able to happen in Charleston and every city in the right spots within the larger walkable urban footprint. Only it should be set up where no one person can then turn against the others involved and where proper regulations are implemented and enforced.

https://homes.yahoo.com/news/curbed-...162327430.html

Old 03-24-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I don't think my inquiry lacks merit. I do think my idea is true, right and attractive. Or did you mean suspicious? I guess I was guilty of thinking that if I were a mayor I would be abreast of the city's ordinances and zoning codes as they relate to how small a lot and/or house can be so that if I thought some new zoning rules were in order I would make the case. It's only a small step to go from a letter to the mayor about it to the City's zoning office.

Anyway, here's what should be able to happen in Charleston and every city in the right spots within the larger walkable urban footprint. Only it should be set up where no one person can then turn against the others involved and where proper regulations are implemented and enforced.

The Mayor's office gave you good advice in seeking housing. Perhaps the office saw through your clever ruse. If you wish new zoning, then involve yourself in local zoning. They are lovely people.

You lack merit when you admit you were not serious. If you wish to be Mayor of Charleston, you should run. Mayor Joe is retiring.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:12 PM

2,310 posts, read 2,957,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
The Mayor's office gave you good advice in seeking housing. Perhaps the office saw through your clever ruse. If you wish new zoning, then involve yourself in local zoning. They are lovely people.

You lack merit when you admit you were not serious. If you wish to be Mayor of Charleston, you should run. Mayor Joe is retiring.
Come now we are already taking a step down when Riley quits, I'd like it if those running are at least partially qualified to lead...

Old 03-25-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
Come now we are already taking a step down when Riley quits, I'd like it if those running are at least partially qualified to lead...
I hear you. Mayor Joe is such a nice man, and a good politician.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:40 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,209 times
Quote:
It should be about square footage. If someone is willing or even wants to live in a tiny amount of square footage, that option should be available for an amount that a dishwasher can afford, down the street from the restaurant. Period. It used to be that way. Cities have failed to keep it that way. Period. And in NYC, there's Queens for an urban lifestyle. In Charleston, West Ashley doesn't offer an urban lifestyle. Somewhere along the line in this society someone dropped the ball.
The only one who failed here is you. You failed at making enough money to live where you want.

The easiest solution is, make more money so you can afford to live where you desire. Otherwise, enjoy the trailer park.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:53 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,209 times
Quote:

Do you understand the concept of supply and demand? I suggest you Google it.

But, just to save you a few minutes....Let's say a developer has a pie-in-the-sky idea and chops up some prime peninsula land into .05 acre lots and offers them for $120K. You come in and say "I'll take it!" and offer the $120K. I come in behind you and say to the developer, "I'll give you $125K." Then, a guy comes in behind me and says to the developer "I'll offer you $130K". This will continue to occur until the price meets the market demand and which point, no higher offers will come in.
Now, who is the developer going to sell the lot to? If he's a smart, profit driven businessman, he's taking the highest offer.....and you're back in the trailer park.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:34 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,598,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Perhaps you should have clarified from the start that you were talking about a "Seattle dishwasher". I doubt there's many dishwashers anywhere else in the country that make $44k per year and certainly not here in Charleston. Your question seems to have morphed into "how small a house will the city let me build and how small can an individual lot be"? I dont' know those answers but they'd be easy to find out with a call to the city.
Quote:
Sometimes I depend too much on other people's ability to make the leap. $22/hr in Seattle or SF ought to be about $15-$17/hr in Charleston. That kind of pay scale is coming to restaurants. Watch. A city, no matter where it is, should have housing stock available for purchase to those who make that kind of money. A big house with quartz countertops? No. But something livable. Period. That is also coming soon to our society. Watch.
No need to be insulting. To assume that a Charleston dishwasher will be making at least double what s/he makes now is quite a "leap". You may be right that it's coming, but I won't be holding my breath for it and if/when it does, I'll bet real estate prices are a whole lot higher than they are now.

It's possible the house you're looking for is already here and right on America St! Scroll down to the second half of the article, "House of the Future":

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/c...nt?oid=4085159
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area