Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 07:58 AM

12,816 posts, read 18,646,079 times

Advertisements

The letter was born out of theory only. We are not actively planning or wishing to move to Charleston. We are of the 'never say never' school of thought, but, well, anyway... (Okay, so I fudged on all the comments about how serious we are.)...

Dear Mayor Riley:

We would like to live in a tiny house in Charleston. And I do mean tiny. My spouse and I need only a bare minimum of square footage, about 700. I would be happy with less, but he says no.

We want to live on the peninsula in a safe, walkable neighborhood that is near city amenities. We need our house to cost $120,000 max. We want it to be close to the sidewalk, but with a tiny yard to keep some flowers. We want it to be as charming as any house in Charleston, but tiny. It can sit next to a mansion if need be. We don't mind. And the mansion owner shouldn't mind. We just want to live in Charleston, on the peninsula, in the city, in a tiny house. We are very serious. This is not a joke.

We would also be happy living in a tiny house among many tiny houses, on a whole block or in a neighborhood of nothing but tiny houses, on tiny lots, with pretty flowers. We don't mind if people drive through and think there's no way they could live in such tiny houses. We just want to live in Charleston, on the peninsula, in the city, in a tiny house, with pretty flowers. We really are very serious. This is for real.

We are a white gay male couple, married. We are non-materialistic and just want to live in Charleston, in a tiny house, with a tiny yard, with pretty flowers. If what we desire is not possible in the city limits of Charleston on the peninsula, then Charleston has failed a large number of would-be Charlestonians. Seriously. Please help.

Sincerely,

Response:
Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to write Mayor Riley and for your interest in Charleston. We would suggest contacting a real estate agent for available properties on the peninsula. Then, proper permitting and approval would be required from our Zoning and Building Inspections offices as with any structure built within the City of Charleston.

Kind regards,

Actually, this might call for a fun day in Charleston with a visit to the City's zoning office and then with a real estate agent if the zoning office says what we would want is possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 10:22 AM

3,859 posts, read 4,577,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
The letter was born out of theory only. We are not actively planning or wishing to move to Charleston. We are of the 'never say never' school of thought, but, well, anyway... (Okay, so I fudged on all the comments about how serious we are.)...

Dear Mayor Riley:

We would like to live in a tiny house in Charleston. And I do mean tiny. My spouse and I need only a bare minimum of square footage, about 700. I would be happy with less, but he says no.

We want to live on the peninsula in a safe, walkable neighborhood that is near city amenities. We need our house to cost $120,000 max. We want it to be close to the sidewalk, but with a tiny yard to keep some flowers. We want it to be as charming as any house in Charleston, but tiny. It can sit next to a mansion if need be. We don't mind. And the mansion owner shouldn't mind. We just want to live in Charleston, on the peninsula, in the city, in a tiny house. We are very serious. This is not a joke.

We would also be happy living in a tiny house among many tiny houses, on a whole block or in a neighborhood of nothing but tiny houses, on tiny lots, with pretty flowers. We don't mind if people drive through and think there's no way they could live in such tiny houses. We just want to live in Charleston, on the peninsula, in the city, in a tiny house, with pretty flowers. We really are very serious. This is for real.

We are a white gay male couple, married. We are non-materialistic and just want to live in Charleston, in a tiny house, with a tiny yard, with pretty flowers. If what we desire is not possible in the city limits of Charleston on the peninsula, then Charleston has failed a large number of would-be Charlestonians. Seriously. Please help.

Sincerely,

Response:
Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to write Mayor Riley and for your interest in Charleston. We would suggest contacting a real estate agent for available properties on the peninsula. Then, proper permitting and approval would be required from our Zoning and Building Inspections offices as with any structure built within the City of Charleston.

Kind regards,

Actually, this might call for a fun day in Charleston with a visit to the City's zoning office and then with a real estate agent if the zoning office says what we would want is possible.
Whether you can find something as you described for $120k is a question to be answered but whether you're white or not, gay or not, male or not or even a couple or not, has no bearing on the situation that I can see. There are currently two properties on the peninsula for under $120k, and to say they need work is an understatement. Maybe you could get one of them and renovate it with a lot of sweat equity and stay under budget in the end, but I'm not sure I understand how it's Charleston's failure if that turns out to be impossible.

If you wanted to come down, I'd be happy to show you what's available.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:32 PM

120 posts, read 152,681 times
please explain further how Charleston has failed if there is no option for housing that you want as described

Old 03-18-2015, 05:54 PM

14,225 posts, read 14,646,717 times
Dear Mayor of NYC

We want to live in Manhattan, upper East Side, nice townhouse, etc, etc and pay $500K for it.

Thanks

Me

Dear Me

Are you you off your meds?

Thanks

Mayor of NYC

Old 03-18-2015, 09:11 PM

12,816 posts, read 18,646,079 times
It should be about square footage. If someone is willing or even wants to live in a tiny amount of square footage, that option should be available for an amount that a dishwasher can afford, down the street from the restaurant. Period. It used to be that way. Cities have failed to keep it that way. Period. And in NYC, there's Queens for an urban lifestyle. In Charleston, West Ashley doesn't offer an urban lifestyle. Somewhere along the line in this society someone dropped the ball.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:29 PM

2,291 posts, read 2,941,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
It should be about square footage. If someone is willing or even wants to live in a tiny amount of square footage, that option should be available for an amount that a dishwasher can afford, down the street from the restaurant. Period. It used to be that way. Cities have failed to keep it that way. Period. And in NYC, there's Queens for an urban lifestyle. In Charleston, West Ashley doesn't offer an urban lifestyle. Somewhere along the line in this society someone dropped the ball.
You're asking for a 120k house in an area where parking spots sells for almost 100k

Old 03-19-2015, 05:16 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,419,772 times
The Avondale section of West Ashley certainly qualifies as having a "downtown " feel ... walkable ... restaurants , stores .. clubs ...plus its a quick drive/bike ride into downtown Charleston so not terribly different than the Queens section of New York except for scale of course.

I do find it odd that so many folks look to South Carolina especially Charleston for "cheap " housing... it just isn't unless youre coming from the Northeast coastal or coastal California....any place with coastal access is going to be relatively expensive ... and Charleston is no exception.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:27 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,269,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
You're asking for a 120k house in an area where parking spots sells for almost 100k
Maybe the tiny house would fit in the spot

Old 03-19-2015, 05:30 AM

3,859 posts, read 4,577,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post

Old 03-19-2015, 06:15 AM

1,388 posts, read 1,940,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
I tried hitting your reputation button but it wouldn't let me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area