U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 06:21 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,040,571 times

Advertisements

I suggest you register your complaints with the developers of Daniel Island and the local politicians who approved a new community downwind of an existing industrial facility...

Excellent point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 06:32 PM

8,947 posts, read 7,729,944 times
Macalan

If memory serves me correctly you moved here from Newburyport, MA. Remember all the protests about the Seabrook Nuclear Plant?

Like many places, maybe DI is not all it is cracked up to be.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:51 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,040,571 times
Remember all the protests about the Seabrook Nuclear Plant?

I do. I was living in Mass. at that time.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:25 PM

10,653 posts, read 9,036,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
macalan, you're not going to get a proper response here. Too many people have a vested interest in sustaining the myth that DI is barely affected by the mill and that emissions from the mill are harmless, heck I've heard DI residents go 'what mill?'

So you get responses like plough mud, or the plant was here first as if that's relevant to anything ... btw the slave markets and tobacco companies were also here first, that doesn't mean that mindsets don't evolve as people get more informed, and their sensibilities and opinions change accordingly.

But if they admitted there was an issue and did something about it they think it will devalue their interests, so they perpetuate the myth that they never even smell it, much less acknowledge that it might be bad for them. Watch how some of them hammer the organizations cited in the article. Don't take it personally, shooting the messenger is just another necessary part of their cognitive dissonance.

It's interesting though, you never get SoB residents trying to convince others the place isn't inundated with tourists, I'on residents telling people our lots are huge, or John's Island residents pimping traffic is super ... something about DI residents and a group delusion about that mill, as if the rest of us never drive by or visit there and as long as they keep saying it it will be so. It's funny sad.
I have zero interests in Daniel Island and you couldn't pay me enough money to ever (ever!) move there. So no vested interests here whatsoever. But I do think it's crazy to move somewhere with a known entity (e.g. stinky mill) and then think 'something' should be done about the stink. It's a bit like purposely slamming you finger with a hammer and then blaming the hammer. So yeah, sometimes it annoys some of us and we point that out.

Hey, they've been having this conversation since Daniel Island was built and by all means, we just LOVE having it again and again all because some new people move in. Still can't believe want to live there AND they pay a premium to do so! I like the earlier suggestions - register your complaints with the Daniel Island developers as to why they built right next to a paper mill.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:59 PM

788 posts, read 1,054,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I have zero interests in Daniel Island and you couldn't pay me enough money to ever (ever!) move there. So no vested interests here whatsoever. But I do think it's crazy to move somewhere with a known entity (e.g. stinky mill) and then think 'something' should be done about the stink. It's a bit like purposely slamming you finger with a hammer and then blaming the hammer. So yeah, sometimes it annoys some of us and we point that out.

Hey, they've been having this conversation since Daniel Island was built and by all means, we just LOVE having it again and again all because some new people move in. Still can't believe want to live there AND they pay a premium to do so! I like the earlier suggestions - register your complaints with the Daniel Island developers as to why they built right next to a paper mill.
You must live next to the straw man mill.

I never said any of the the things you're flailing against.

-----------------

Edit: and btw I mostly agree with you, at least in regards that no one should choose to live in the Antarctic and complain about the cold ... what I am saying is that Antarctica residents look silly and disingenuous telling others it's tropical, especially on a forum when people come to get information about places they are not familiar with. Metaphors aside, if someone buys a residence it is their responsibility to inform themselves about what the environment is and how it affect all of their senses and health ... that said, if new information arises people have the right to protest regardless of whom was where first. Think Brockovich.

Last edited by soulsea; 03-31-2015 at 11:19 PM..

Old 04-01-2015, 06:16 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,621,859 times
Attention DI residents: the paper mill was there before you moved to DI. You can also see it from DI...but you thought you wouldn't ever smell it? Cute.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:38 PM

237 posts, read 180,740 times
No, the smell coming from the mill isn't having ill affects on your health.

It's diluted chemicals used in the making of the paper product there, what you're smelling is the pulp mill, which is where the wood after being debarked and chipped is sent to the bleach plant to be whitened, then sent to the paper machine to be made into paper.

It's not hurting you.

(Working in paper mills, inspecting them around the country, Kap stone is one of the best smelling ones lol)

Old 04-03-2015, 04:41 AM

2,115 posts, read 2,691,787 times
So that means the person who wrote the Post and Courier article (and the agencies cited in the article) are lying about the health hazards?

What would be their motivation to publicly lie?

Old 04-03-2015, 06:30 AM

10,653 posts, read 9,036,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
So that means the person who wrote the Post and Courier article (and the agencies cited in the article) are lying about the health hazards?

Instead of referencing a seven year old article as gospel, why don't you contact DHEC if it's such a concern to you and find out the actual data? Oh and by the way, this article is so old, it still references the plant as MeadWestvaco when it was bought some time ago by Kapstone.

One quick way to solve your worries - move. After all, you chose to live there and if you think the plant is a problem, then you shouldn't have picked to live in a place right next to it.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:33 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,315,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post

With everything on this forum: you will always have people disagreeing with logic and science.

But using basic logic we can figure this out. You can smell it, it irritates your nose and eyes. Anything that causes irritation, causes your body to go through inflammation. Inflammation causes the body to undergo changes to compensate. Too much inflammation (chronic) can lead to changes in cell shape and structure (eventually causing more serious conditions). The particles are diluted, but do the South Carolina inspectors monitor every area around Kaptone? Some areas are exposed more than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area