Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 10:34 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,653,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
The mill
I agree.
Doesn't this all sound like the mess downtown with the new cruise terminal?
That dock has been there long before all those condos were built, but now they want the dock and ships to move uptown where the poorer folks live.
Maybe they should move the Market up there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 07:22 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,353,565 times
I sat in the Cayman Islands last week and saw 4 cruise ships sitting in the harbor running tenders to the docks. None of them running shore power and combined they were putting out less pollution than a single container ship underway. It's just rich people not wanting tourists walking through their neighborhoods downtown.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:11 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
I sat in the Cayman Islands last week and saw 4 cruise ships sitting in the harbor running tenders to the docks. None of them running shore power and combined they were putting out less pollution than a single container ship underway. It's just rich people not wanting tourists walking through their neighborhoods downtown.
Yup.

Bermuda thrives on cruise ships and always has.....and pollution is not an issue but somehow one Carnival cruise ship docked in Charleston is the ruin of the human race as we know it. pfffft.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:57 AM

268 posts, read 281,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post
Same thing was said when people started smoking cigarettes. "Second hand smoke doesn't harm you." You aren't fooling us with your pitch buddy .

I'll stick to science: any stimulus that causes irritation, causes the body to undergo inflammation. Chronically this causes a world of problems.
Ok stick to science buddy, I've worked in and around paper mills more than anyone would want too, nothing coming from them is going to seriously harm you, but you read an article so you know more about it.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:09 PM

268 posts, read 281,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post
Same thing was said when people started smoking cigarettes. "Second hand smoke doesn't harm you." You aren't fooling us with your pitch buddy .

I'll stick to science: any stimulus that causes irritation, causes the body to undergo inflammation. Chronically this causes a world of problems.
Here's some more science for ya.

https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/air/pulpodors.htm

Like I said previously, the smell is not harmful to your body at the rate it comes out of the mill.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:27 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,669,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinatic8u View Post

Like I said previously, the smell is not harmful to your body at the rate it comes out of the mill.

Nice and dandy if you live in....... Wisconsin....great for them, nothing to do with us. Different climate, totally different ecosystem.

If you actually search for scientific literature (rather than a website that a 6th grader put together) you shall find some answers.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21199601
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18557596
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9513642

Search pubmed. There's too many links to list.

Last edited by Chs2014; 04-10-2015 at 02:07 PM..

Old 04-10-2015, 07:32 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Macalan

You pulled the wrong string of the DI people. They want all to think DI is utopia. Smell, what smell?

Old 04-10-2015, 07:37 PM

120 posts, read 153,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinatic8u View Post

That wasn't the best choice of sources to quote....

"Health Issues

Under most weather conditions, the chemicals released from pulp and paper mills are diluted with clean air so health problems are not expected. Odors may still be noticed because people can smell sulfur-based chemicals, such as TRS gases, at extremely low concentrations.

If the chemicals become concentrated (for example, by weather conditions) area residents may experience eye and breathing irritation. Other symptoms may include nausea and headaches. People with asthma may experience asthma episodes when the odors are strong.

People with emphysema or COPD may also be at risk. These symptoms should disappear shortly after the odors disperse
."

Old 09-23-2018, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 640 times
I find it interesting that a person who has battled or is battling a serious health issue would be criticized for being concerned about the environment they live in. He or she has to defend and then apologize for a perceived offense. Toxins, among other things, can cause inflammation in the body which is often the root cause of many illnesses.

My mother passed away from cancer and it was horrible to witness what she went through. I fully understand what the couple's concerns are. What I don't understand is why social status is even a factor in this debate. Anyone who is mentally sound will want to live the best quality life they can. It's reasonable to raise questions about why things are the way they are and for people not to quickly judge that. Everyone should be concerned about what they are eating, breathing, drinking, and putting on their skin.

Last edited by Widow40; 09-23-2018 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: Typos in grammar

Old 09-23-2018, 08:11 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
We live about 5 minutes walk from Bishop England and smell it home, smell it around the library, and at Publix shopping center. We've also smelled it in the Daniel Island Park section, which is on the opposite end of the island from us.

Regardless of where you live on the island and whether you can smell it, the smell IS on the island, and it means the particulate is in the air, with all the health ramifications.

Just an aside - to me it doesn't smell like rotten eggs, it smells like wet brown paper bags.

Not sure why DI residents (especially those with children) don't try to do something about it, because it IS a health hazard, and it DOES detract from the island's appeal.
What do you suggest they do? Purchase the plant and shut it down? The plant was there before people saw dollar signs on Daniel Island and the surrounding areas.

Growing up here, I'll catch a whiff of it every now and then and it just doesn't affect my day all that much. If I had to live with the constant smell of it, sort of like the folks over near the Bees Ferry land fill, I'd probably look for a new place to call home. This is why folks need to get a local Realtor who's honest and will give you the goods and the bads, and you need to join forums sites, talk to locals before moving into an area, read news articles, google, etc. Do your diligence. All of this is good practice when deciding to live in a certain area. That way you have no regrets once you've moved in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area