Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 05:14 PM

124 posts, read 187,633 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! I'm hoping some locals can help clear this up. I'm from the south...I've pretty much lived here all my life, and have always heard about how bad the crime is in Charleston. Its reputation is a great historic city, beautiful, great food scene, but tons of crime.

I'm looking into the area now, because some family members are going to be moving to Savannah (definitely high crime), and I really want to be close to them. I've been pretty set on North Carolina, but would love to be closer.

This led me to look into the crime stats and rates in Charleston, and they are surprisingly lower than I expected.

So what's with the reputation? It looks like the crime has dropped substantially in the last couple of years, is this true? It's so extreme, it's almost like there covering it up!

Safety, and feeling safe is my top priority!

What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 05:44 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,669,210 times
http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/T...olice-officers

More police officers patrolling Charleston (especially the once bad areas)
More community members reporting things (drugs. Violence)
SLED has shut down so many drug dealers
More middle/ upper middle class moving to the area

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fF-Bheb7WmQ
(We also have an amazing Sheriff, who sometimes takes the law in his own "hands")

Last edited by Chs2014; 04-13-2014 at 05:56 PM..

Old 04-13-2014, 06:51 PM

882 posts, read 1,463,903 times
Crime stats are difficult to interpret without the context of first hand local knowledge. My wife and I have lived in NYC and DC and never felt unsafe, despite the stats. Every urban center has areas, and safety is always a measure of knowing where to be and where not to be, in fact the same can be said of rural areas. Not only that but a 'feeling' of safety is as much a byproduct of reality as it is of perceived reality emanating from the subject. Meaning that a person, depending on their own biases and mindset, can feel fearful in a very safe situation as much as another may be oblivious to the imminent danger around them.

In general terms lack of familiarity breeds fear in humans, that's why a lot of people remain in the misery they know rather than take a chance on the unknown. For what it is worth, and hoping I don't jinx us, mrs soulsea and I feel extremely safe in the Charleston area. So safe it's scary sometimes.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:17 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get_Glowing View Post
Hey guys! I'm hoping some locals can help clear this up. I'm from the south...I've pretty much lived here all my life, and have always heard about how bad the crime is in Charleston. Its reputation is a great historic city, beautiful, great food scene, but tons of crime.

I'm looking into the area now, because some family members are going to be moving to Savannah (definitely high crime), and I really want to be close to them. I've been pretty set on North Carolina, but would love to be closer.

This led me to look into the crime stats and rates in Charleston, and they are surprisingly lower than I expected.

So what's with the reputation? It looks like the crime has dropped substantially in the last couple of years, is this true? It's so extreme, it's almost like there covering it up!

Safety, and feeling safe is my top priority!

What gives?
In the 35+ years I've lived in Charleston, I've experienced two acts of crime. 1) My mother had her purse taken out of the car at a grocery store one afternoon back in probably 1986. 2) We had a dog stolen from our back yard (or it was possibly let out on purpose) in probably 1992. Other than that, no issues. I've lived on James Island, Ladson, Summerville, West Ashley, and now Mt. Pleasant.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:38 AM

207 posts, read 273,069 times
Don't stick your nose into the local criminal activity and chances are you won't ever be affected by it. Now I'm not saying you shouldn't be prepared for it........

Old 04-14-2014, 07:23 AM

*they're...excuse me!

Old 04-14-2014, 07:27 AM

I live in a very high crime city now. We're on the "lists". I don't really go out alone with my son after dark, and am very careful all the time. So, I understand not to go wandering through certain parts of town, but I'm also really tired of looking over my shoulder all the time, to be honest!

Is there a bad gang problem in Charleston? I'm looking at the Mt. Pleasant area. Random shootings, armed robberies, etc?

Old 04-14-2014, 07:33 AM

We do have some gang activity in North Charleston in a few pockets, but the N. Charleston police have done a really good job of cleaning it up. You never read of any gang related killing or things like that.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:16 AM

How do y'all feel about Mount Pleasant? That's the area I'm looking into.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:33 AM

Super safe area as compared to other metro areas around Charleston and other Metros. I'll dig up some stats for ya. I live in Mt. Pleasant and we have hardly any crime, I'm trying to think about the last murder that happened....

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 04-15-2014 at 04:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area