U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 11:06 AM

21 posts, read 21,165 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move from the Northeast to the Charleston area, and have been researching Mt. Pleasant neighborhoods. I see there is only one high school in the area - Wando High School. What is the commute like from the lower/southern neighborhoods of Mt. Pleasant to the high school? Do most kids ride a bus, or parents drive them to school? My oldest child is only in 4th grade, but we want to narrow our options to specific neighborhoods so we will not have to move again in the next few years when our kids begin high school.

Thank you for any information you could provide!
LTB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 11:29 AM

3,131 posts, read 3,105,776 times
Plans are in the works for a second high school in Mt. Pleasant. I would imagine by the time yours in ready there will be a closer alternative.

I believe that bus/parents are the only options for everyone but seniors due to parking constraints at Wando.

If you want an estimate you'll need to give us more of an idea of what area in south MtP.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:06 PM

397 posts, read 947,936 times
The second high school will be built before your child is going to go, when are you planning your move? soon? then you would consider north Mount Pleasant for grade/middle schools as better options. Being from the northeast, I always took the bus as a kid, but for some reason here the parents all drive and pick up their children! there is, of course, bus service -

Old 04-09-2015, 02:23 PM

13 posts, read 24,885 times
Ok, for people with HS age kids, what is the drive time from say Rifle Range and Bowman to Wando HS?

How bad is the car line?

Old 04-09-2015, 04:09 PM

21 posts, read 21,165 times
Just choosing random spots in the area... how long would it take from neighborhoods around I'On or Belle Hall? Looks pretty far to me - 10 miles/20 minutes? My oldest would start hs for school year 2019-2020, but if we move to Charleston in the next year I'd rather not move again a few years later to be closer to the hs. One reason we are moving is to get away from long commutes in our metro area, but I guess we might have to choose between a longer commute to work (downtown?) vs. a longer commute to schools (Wando HS).

Thanks again for the information and replies!

Old 04-09-2015, 04:40 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,307,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EC-LTB View Post
Just choosing random spots in the area... how long would it take from neighborhoods around I'On or Belle Hall? Looks pretty far to me - 10 miles/20 minutes? My oldest would start hs for school year 2019-2020, but if we move to Charleston in the next year I'd rather not move again a few years later to be closer to the hs. One reason we are moving is to get away from long commutes in our metro area, but I guess we might have to choose between a longer commute to work (downtown?) vs. a longer commute to schools (Wando HS).

By 2020 the population in this area will increase a lot (tons of new development in the works). The commute time in the area will likely increase.

You have to realize that Mt. Pleasant was the 9th fastest growing city in the nation a couple of years ago (I don't see that slowing down anytime soon).

Old 04-09-2015, 05:48 PM

8,806 posts, read 7,600,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EC-LTB View Post

Consider Park West. All the schools (primary, middle, high) are within walking/biking distance. Park West versus Belle Hall and I'On would add no more then 15-20 minutes to the commute to downtown.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:00 PM

184 posts, read 160,471 times
I have a 16 yr old at Wando and live near Shem Creek.

From here it is usually about a 25-30 minute trip to the school by car, while it usually takes him 40 minutes by bus. Also, there have been several occasions when the bus was late due to some mechanical issues which plague state/county owned buses. The bus drivers seem to do a good job overall, but the state has been completely incompetent when it comes to dealing with deteriorating, sometimes dangerous buses.

I have heard that we have the oldest fleet of buses in the country and that stands to reason because they break down way too often. It is a real problem when students are showing up late because of bus delays.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:28 PM

22,516 posts, read 12,081,809 times
I drive the route Bowman/526 to Wando on a regular basis and has for the last 3 and a half years.

I drive from Hungry Neck to Six Mile to 17....sometimes I'll cut through Town Center to pop onto 17. Hungry Neck is getting real slow. It takes me maybe 16 minutes -- we leave anywhere from 7:25 to 7:35 in the morning and I drop my son at the back of the school (near the band room). I'm usually home by 8:10 or 8:15 at the very latest. If you choose to wait to drop your kid off at 8:15 -- you and all the other parents driving kids who are late will be in a bit of a mess. If we want to hit Starbucks or Chick Fil A we might leave at 7:20.

My son is the last stop on his bus route and it is at 7:45/7:50. They seem to get him to school in time for his first class. We haven't had many mechanical problems. And in the three years he took the bus to school on a regular basis I think it was late a few times. I guess we lucked out. The problem with the bus -- is the three to a seat thing. These kids are in high school, they aren't itty bitty elementary school kids.

I don't do the pick up thing at the regular dismissal time on a regular basis so I won't comment on that.

My son was bummed for a bit because most of the kids live in Rivertowne, Park West, Dunes West....but when he wants to head into the city, or to the beach, or go to the movies...he is very very happy we live south of IOP.

You couldn't pay me to move further up 17........the last 4 years have flown by and I don't want to make my long term living arrangements based on 4 years....but we are all different and have different wants/needs.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:31 PM

22,516 posts, read 12,081,809 times
oh parking constraints -- HUGE MYTH. All seniors that want parking get parking and can even choose which lot they want. I heard it every year and thought -- oh no we'll never get it. Seniors get first dibs on spots and it always passes on to Juniors next. This year all seniors that wanted a spot and were registered within the regular time frame (first few weeks of school), got spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area