Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2015, 07:38 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,008,679 times

Advertisements

Anyone eaten here? How was it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 09:42 AM

120 posts, read 153,186 times
I went a few weeks ago for dinner and am going again tomorrow for lunch.

I left with a very good impression. Certainly, there are other options in town that top it on food quality at the same price point but most of those are found downtown. The interior renovation is outstanding, and the location on Shem Creek is a huge bonus as well. One annoyance I have is the menu that reads like a foodie buzzword dictionary, but I guess some of that is to be expected. I have this mental image of the person who wrote the menu being some sort of urban lumberjack looking guy twirling some artisanal wax into his handlebar mustache sitting under an Edison bulb as he handwrites the menu onto some house made paper.

When I went for dinner we sampled a few of the small plates / appetizers. Overall they were very good. The mac and cheese is huge -- consider yourself warned. Lobster wontons came with a really good red pepper jelly. One thing I didn't care for were the shrimp beignets. These things should be filled with crab, not hunks of shrimp -- maybe just my bias from living in New Orleans once upon a time.
The deviled eggs had potential, but our order was more like a plate full of cold rubber.

I'm not sure what I'll get tomorrow, but I'm looking forward to making my way through the menu.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:55 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,008,679 times
Thanks! Sounds like an interesting menu. And of course great view.

I can't recall - what used to be in that spot?

Old 04-11-2015, 05:47 PM

Yeah, it's a really nice menu overall -- a welcome change of pace in my opinion. I'm looking forward to trying the whole fish and a few other of the entree options now that I have had a chance to sample through some of the small plates.

I think it was the Lighthouse restaurant then at some point there was some renovation work and it opened as The Big Game which was sort of a sport fishing themed place. They had a pretty insane grand opening party with Charlie Daniels playing on a barge on the creek. That was a fun night!
I think there was something in between The Big Game and the current restaurant but can't recall right now.

EDIT: The Trawler. That was the other reincarnation of this place. It was more of what you would think for a standard seafood place on the creek.

Last edited by NO10; 04-11-2015 at 05:56 PM..

Old 04-12-2015, 08:43 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,639,255 times

Old 04-13-2015, 06:30 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,037,668 times
Went there once in Feb.
Good atmosphere and location but food and service were really bad. Our server didn't know the menu, made a few mistakes on the order, etc.
I'd give it 2 stars out of 5.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:45 PM

3,839 posts, read 3,065,664 times
The place rated #7 for burgers on Eater Charleston.

The Burger Heatmap: 13 New Charleston Burgers To Eat Now - Eater Charleston

Old 04-13-2015, 04:17 PM

had the burger yesterday
It was really good but not one I would put in my top 5 list.

The pimento cheese and bacon jam is a tasty appetizer. Crab dip was pretty good too for a warm dip option. I'll agree with the other post about the service leaving some to be desired. Our waitress was very friendly and seemed to know the menu fairly well yet still slipped up on getting an order wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: