Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 06:03 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,448,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Furthermore, I see him getting off 100%. Granted we aren't privy to all the evidence, but from the video they have been showing, undeniably, there is "reasonable doubt". The officer's life and public safety were at risk.
You must be blind? His life was at risk, youre not really serious right now are you? I hope not. Because if he gets off 100%, you can bet yourself that N Charleston, and more, will be going up in flames, and this country will be thrown back into 1992.

Unlike Mike Brown, Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice, etc, we have complete video footage of this incident. Black people will be outraged, white people will be outraged, America will explode if he gets off. There will even be current and former cops will be fuming.

He wont get 1st degree murder. He just wont. But 100% off? The mayor, police chief, most of America, and his own lawyer condemned him and you expect 100%? I don't know what to think really.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Unfortunately, black on black crime (which just happens to be how most black murder victims are murdered) doesn't fit the agenda. Apparently, black lives don't matter unless their taken at the hands of a white cop.
When we start seeing protests on the Ravenel over black men killing other black men in huge numbers, then you might get a sympathetic ear. Until then, it looks like patronizing grandstanding.
A lot of people want to think blacks are being hypocritical, and a lot of people are annoyed with "Black" Lives Matter...but I see lots of white people at these protests. Hispanics and some Asians too. Apparently these people see there's an underlying problem. There's plenty of B on B crime, W on W crime, H on H crime yes, and it all should be looked at and protested, but because of America's history, when you have something like Mike Brown, Eric Garner, or Walter Scott, its just too hard for people to ignore.

It'd be different if it was just black people protesting when a black person is killed by a white cop, but it's not. And it's not just about races; there are other cops outraged as well. So obviously this is an issue. Whether its a race issue, police brutality issue, abuse of power issue, its an issue.

Plenty more images where that came from.

Also...if we "knew this was gonna happen", why make this thread?

Old 04-15-2015, 06:58 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,892 times
Quote:
The officer's life and public safety were at risk.
At risk from what? A tased unarmed 50-year old guy jogging in flight?

Old 04-15-2015, 07:18 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
The problem is, when a white cop kills a black man, the protester types assumes it was racially motivated. Unfortunately, it's usually justified (not always, but usually) and I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt to a cop over someone with a criminal record trying to get the cops gun.
Black cops kill black men and white men but you don't see Jesse, Al and black lives matter protesting those.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:20 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
Don't be so sure we have all the "facts" in this case. After all, if OJ wasn't convicted, anything is possible.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:28 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,937 times
All Slager has to do is prove that he perceived imminent danger to himself or the public. Not that there actually was imminent danger, but that he had some legitimate reason to perceive it that way. And with Savage on his legal team, you can bet that this case will go on for a long, long time.

In a case like this, I could easily see him get off on a murder charge and would not be surprised to see charges downgraded to manslaughter. This is clearly what a lot of the protesters are concerned with (excepting the race baiters, of course), and it's hard not to agree with them.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:28 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Don't be so sure we have all the "facts" in this case. After all, if OJ wasn't convicted, anything is possible.
You're never going to have all the facts, but the evidence speaks for itself.
It's just too bad there weren't cameras watching OJ.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:35 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
You must be blind? His life was at risk, youre not really serious right now are you? I hope not. Because if he gets off 100%, you can bet yourself that N Charleston, and more, will be going up in flames, and this country will be thrown back into 1992.

He wont get 1st degree murder. He just wont. But 100% off? The mayor, police chief, most of America, and his own lawyer condemned him and you expect 100%? I don't know what to think really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post

I'm not blind. I only see what the video(s) show. To begin with I was 100% sure this was and open/shut case...the video was damning. Then the higher resolution video came out (if it's genuine) and all that changed.

If the clearer video is correct, it wasn't Mr. Scott who was shot with the taser...and yes, the officer was in danger up until he incapacitated Mr. Scott. Again, that is IF the enhanced video is otherwise unaltered.

Like I said, I had the officer convicted the first day the video originally came to the surface. Now, all I can say is let all the evidence be presented.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:42 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
All Slager has to do is prove that he perceived imminent danger to himself or the public. Not that there actually was imminent danger, but that he had some legitimate reason to perceive it that way.
Actually, the higher resolution video shows the taser darts embedded in Officer Slager with the other end running away with Mr. Scott. The officer "probably" felt Mr. Scott could have used the taser at any second and come back to harm him, kill him, or take his sidearm (possibly hurting other citizens) while he was incapacitated with 50,000 volts running through his body.

This is where my "reasonable doubt" scenario comes from.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I'm not blind. I only see what the video(s) show. To begin with I was 100% sure this was and open/shut case...the video was damning. Then the higher resolution video came out (if it's genuine) and all that changed.

If the clearer video is correct, it wasn't Mr. Scott who was shot with the taser...and yes, the officer was in danger up until he incapacitated Mr. Scott. Again, that is IF the enhanced video is otherwise unaltered.

Like I said, I had the officer convicted the first day the video originally came to the surface. Now, all I can say is let all the evidence be presented.
What are you talking about? No one was shot with a taser, the taser was knocked to the ground. And the officer wasn't in any danger. And if he was, he would've acted then and there, not when Scott was 12 yards away from him. Slager didn't try to run, nor did he shout any commands or gave warnings. It was unjustified. Slager only did what he did because he think he was being filmed.

That's likely why he picked the taser up and dropped beside Scott's dead body, and wrote that Scott stole it on the police report. The man is scum. Whether it was racial or not, he abused his power. "I was in danger" is the word every officer now is throwing around because they think its their get out of jail free word (which it is), but with this video, that's not the case. He was not justified in shooting the man 8 times without attemping to run and/or giving a verbal warning when the man was a football toss away from him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area