Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 07:53 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,084,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
Hm although I will say..I have heard this, that whataburger is very good.. Never been. Is it better than 5 Guys though? 5 Guys is pretty good.Best thing about them is the real jalapenos and quality of the burger. The rest are forgettable and bland. Also I have always been mystified by the fascination with In n Out out west. I thought those were pretty generic. Not even close to the hype! Anyone else have that experience?!
5 guys is decent...can be a lil greasy. I hate their fries. To me, Whataburger is the alpha dog when it comes to fast food. Big, flat burger, onion & mustard overload....it's Texas in a bag. In-n-Out is good, beats most fast food burgers out this way, but not planning any trips around them either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 08:02 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,730,633 times
Quote:
Is doubling traffic times and taxes and changing city character outweighed by a Red Robin et al? I have noticed this is a common value or tradeoff people make for general growth of a city.

In most cities, perhaps even Charleston, this seems the prevailing public opinion or value. Although it seems to be not so in Savannah. Not judging anyone here or in Charleston, but I'd personally prefer to live in a smaller city even if it means not having a Red Robin.

Just throwing this out there. Wanted to see what Charlestonians thought on this.
Red Robin is an inside thing on this board. Unless you're from the northwest, then it's a way of life!

Old 05-14-2015, 08:12 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,257,419 times
Hmm. I see Charleston and its board have some good inside baseball. I like that.

Well 912 I will have to check out this Alpha Dog Burger next time I am hitting Amelia Island, I noticed one on the way one time off Rt 1 in Jax. I like the way you describe it. I am already hungry now and it's 9 am.

I think people here made good points though, regarding the tradeoffs of good jobs and new businesses like food chains coming in, versus increased traffic and required public money to improve infrastructure. Just a question of which is important to the community.

This Volvo project is a good test case to see what happens with a large employer coming to town. Did Boeing increase traffic or require more infrastructure spending?

Old 05-14-2015, 08:47 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,084,203 times
^It was the catalyst for completely redoing I-26 from Summerville to downtown. That & the Ravenel.

If you hit up Whataburger, get one "912 style", which is:

#1 add cheese
grilled onions
wheat bun (think of it as a "fat offset")
Lettuce, tomato, mustard, light ketchup
cut in half
Bacon, optional (if you want that, go for the bacon cheeseburger, think it's #5)

No need to upsize your order. The standard size comes with a 32oz drink and a good helping of fries. Great fries. Upsizing gets you more fries and a 44oz. drink. You drink Dr. Pepper or Coke. Because God said so.

Whataburger makes their own ketchup (offsite, not in house). Two kinds: original or spicy. Both are gifts from God and should be afforded proper reverence. The tomato to vinegar ratio is exact. You will plot ways to walk out of there with extra ketchups. I know I do.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:50 AM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Hmm. I see Charleston and its board have some good inside baseball. I like that.

Well 912 I will have to check out this Alpha Dog Burger next time I am hitting Amelia Island, I noticed one on the way one time off Rt 1 in Jax. I like the way you describe it. I am already hungry now and it's 9 am.

I think people here made good points though, regarding the tradeoffs of good jobs and new businesses like food chains coming in, versus increased traffic and required public money to improve infrastructure. Just a question of which is important to the community.

This Volvo project is a good test case to see what happens with a large employer coming to town. Did Boeing increase traffic or require more infrastructure spending?
One big difference is that Boeing was already coming to a developed area, out near the airport in North Charleston. Volvo is going out near Ridgeville, which is further out and pretty rural. There will definitely need to be improvements to I-26 going up that way and I already know there will be a flood of cookie-cutter subdivisions and strip malls in the area; local officials have tax revenue $$$ dancing in their pupils and I doubt a lot of planning will go into all the new suburban development.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:09 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,257,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
One big difference is that Boeing was already coming to a developed area, out near the airport in North Charleston. Volvo is going out near Ridgeville, which is further out and pretty rural. There will definitely need to be improvements to I-26 going up that way and I already know there will be a flood of cookie-cutter subdivisions and strip malls in the area; local officials have tax revenue $$$ dancing in their pupils and I doubt a lot of planning will go into all the new suburban development.
Good point. On the tax revenue concept though--more development always means higher taxes for residents. The fallacy of 'it will be good for the tax base' is usually the opposite. More development, more infrastructure, more taxes. When cities grow cost of living goes up. Now whether it's worth it for Red Robin is debatable. And hey I haven't eaten there, yet! But I just want call this concept out as I see it everywhere. Studies have shown as cities grow and population increases taxes and cost of living rising commensurately. Have your taxes and cost of living gone up? Are taxes lower in small vs big cities? The strip malls bring new PUDs which bring higher taxes and cost of living. I do not mean to derail the thread and sorry if I had but I am now on a personal mission to clarify this concept when it is in a thread.

Now Whataburger, hm, that sounds like it just might be worth it at least a little development. I will indeed be 912-styling. Spicy ketchup for sure. Ya know, I think we at least have room in Pooler for one of those?

Old 05-14-2015, 12:33 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,372,333 times
Quote:
Is doubling traffic times and taxes and changing city character outweighed by a Red Robin et al? I have noticed this is a common value or tradeoff people make for general growth of a city.

In most cities, perhaps even Charleston, this seems the prevailing public opinion or value. Although it seems to be not so in Savannah. Not judging anyone here or in Charleston, but I'd personally prefer to live in a smaller city even if it means not having a Red Robin.

Just throwing this out there. Wanted to see what Charlestonians thought on this.
Calm down, SL...must you go on anti-chain tyraid everywhere? As 912 said, we were all just having a little fun...but Red Robin is something alot of us would like to see here, and frankly something Charleston area should have by now. Sue us. Has nothing to do with "city character."

Old 05-14-2015, 12:40 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,372,333 times
Was lurking in the Savannah thread and saw some revisonism going on. Saw some posts saying now theyre glad they didnt land Volvo because Volvo doesnt sell alot of cars yada yada excuses. Saw a bit of jealousy.

I thought Charleston and Sav were friendly rivals? If Sav landed it, would people really be saying "eh I kinda wish we didnt land it. Volvos not major"? I dont think so. Was just in Savannah last week, great city, but that attitude..

Old 05-15-2015, 09:27 AM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Was lurking in the Savannah thread and saw some revisonism going on. Saw some posts saying now theyre glad they didnt land Volvo because Volvo doesnt sell alot of cars yada yada excuses. Saw a bit of jealousy.

I thought Charleston and Sav were friendly rivals? If Sav landed it, would people really be saying "eh I kinda wish we didnt land it. Volvos not major"? I dont think so. Was just in Savannah last week, great city, but that attitude..
Outside of the port, it's really more of a one-sided rivalry on Savannah's part at this point. Charleston is older, twice as big, has an economy that's over twice as big, and is growing faster, so Savannah often looks to Charleston in terms of what works and what doesn't, what they can do better, etc. while the opposite rarely, if ever, happens. Both will compete for more eco-devo projects in the future I'm sure, but otherwise Savannah is just another city in the region for all intents and purposes.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:41 PM

606 posts, read 724,347 times
If anything, I hope that Volvo takes some of the rapid growth that Boeing brought and redirects it to Berkeley County and off Mt Pleasant. Most of Summerville and Goose Creek areas and an easy commute to the Ridgeville area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area