U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 11:47 AM

73 posts, read 43,432 times

Advertisements

I lived in Charleston for 40+ years moved away for 20 yrs and want to return to the Mt. Pleasant area. Spouse and I are 62 retired and plan to stay in the Mt. Pleasant area. Looking for a condo or apartment close to the Isle of Palms connector or on Ben Sawyer Blvd. Want to get as close to the beach without leaving Mt. Pleasant. Hoping to rent a 2BR 2 BA that will allow two pets for $1250 or less... Can go a little higher if necessary...Our big concern is whether to buy or rent. We will start by renting to be sure that we can handle living in a apt/condo and if so, we will decide whether to purchase or rent. It seem more logical to me to rent, no big repairs, no property tax, no big insurance premium, no regime fees or special assessments... If we were to purchase, we would like to stay in the $175-200K range.....Anyone here choose renting over purchasing? Any recommendations on where to look?

Last edited by mdo53; 04-19-2015 at 12:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 05:46 PM

I found the answer to the rental vs purchase question...... would appreciate any recommendations on apt/condo rentals...thanks.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:41 AM

1,923 posts, read 3,009,674 times
I think Wando East Townhouses might have some 2 bedroom units available. They allow pets and most have fenced in back yards. They are within your price range and it is 5 miles from the beach.

Wando East Townhouses | Apartment Rentals | Mount Pleasant, SC

Old 04-20-2015, 12:30 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,691,555 times
Gotta at least look at the Boulevard apartments.

Live In The Middle Of It All. - The Boulevard

Old 04-20-2015, 03:16 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,034,051 times
The Boulevard 2 BR's start at $1,795...above mdo53's price range.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:27 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,691,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TealDreamer View Post
The Boulevard 2 BR's start at $1,795...above mdo53's price range.
Last time I checked I think a 2BR started in the $1400-$1500 range, but I know that is always changing based on availability. Still, it is above the OPs stated preferences, yes, but they did say it was flexible. And if you want to be off Ben Sawyer or the IOP connector, as stated, you might have to adjust your expectations.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:37 AM

130 posts, read 126,223 times
Check out The Legends in upper Mount Pleasant. It is right in front of Charleston National Golf Course. We lived there before buying. Two-bedroom units start at $1205 and I know they allow pets (with a deposit, I think). There are also condos and townhomes in there that can be privately rented out by owners. Very nice complex. Some people consider the area too far out, but it never took us long to get to the beach as we were close to the IOP connector.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:40 AM

We spoke with a representative at the Legends and it sounded great but our American Bulldog weighs 58 lbs... they have a 40 lb limit.

We made a day trip to Mt. Pleasant this past Sunday and found what would suit us at the Battery in Park West. The prices were in our budget of 170-200K and rentals were in the 1250-1350 range too. Some units come with a deeded garage. There is one model that has 1274 sq ft that would work for us. Hopefully we can make the move to the area by next Spring and then find a rental or purchase.

A big plus for the The Battery is that it is very pet friendly.... No breed or weight restrictions with the only restriction, 2 pets per unit. The three story units have elevators.. a big plus! My understanding is that these were built as condos not apartments that were converted to condos. The only disadvantage is that the complex is located near the back of the neighborhood which could be a problem in the mornings getting past the school but the plus is that you don't have constant traffic in front of your house.

What we discovered about the beach traffic is that it isn't as bad as it was in the 70's... my wife's parents lived on Sullivan's in the late 70's and we had to plan our trips around the beach traffic on the weekends... If anything the traffic might be better now having two routes to the islands. We wanted to have some grilled wings and a beer at Dunleavy's Pub and it took 15 minutes of riding around searching for a parking spot three blocks away. It was worth the wait.

Last edited by mdo53; 05-06-2015 at 05:54 AM..

Old 05-06-2015, 06:16 AM

1,973 posts, read 1,805,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdo53 View Post
We spoke with a representative at the Legends and it sounded great but our American Bulldog weighs 58 lbs... they have a 40 lb limit.

We made a day trip to Mt. Pleasant this past Sunday and found what would suit us at the Battery in Park West. The prices were in our budget of 170-200K and rentals were in the 1250-1350 range too. Some units come with a deeded garage. There is one model that has 1274 sq ft that would work for us. Hopefully we can make the move to the area by next Spring and then find a rental or purchase.

A big plus for the The Battery is that it is very pet friendly.... No breed or weight restrictions with the only restriction, 2 pets per unit. The three story units have elevators.. a big plus! My understanding is that these were built as condos not apartments that were converted to condos. The only disadvantage is that the complex is located near the back of the neighborhood which could be a problem in the mornings getting past the school but the plus is that you don't have constant traffic in front of your house.

What we discovered about the beach traffic is that it isn't as bad as it was in the 70's... my wife's parents lived on Sullivan's in the late 70's and we had to plan our trips around the beach traffic on the weekends... If anything the traffic might be better now having two routes to the islands. We wanted to have some grilled wings and a beer at Dunleavy's Pub and it took 15 minutes of riding around searching for a parking spot three blocks away. It was worth the wait.
Ahhhh great. Welcome back 'Home'.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:16 AM

8,848 posts, read 7,641,615 times
MDO

One of the best things about being retired is you do not need to be concerned with "rush hour". You can build a schedule that suits you. Easy enough to find a parking spot around Dunleavy's late in the afternoon during the week. Just avoid the place on a beach weekend. Let the tourists have the weekends.

Make appoints abut 10am or 2pm during the week thus avoid rush hour. Grocery shop about 3pm.

Enjoy the freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or