Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 07:29 AM

11 posts, read 11,758 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My fiancé and I are thinking about moving down to Charleston in the near future. We'll be visiting this May to drive around and get a feel for the city. I'm hoping we can get some suggestions of streets we should drive down/restaurants we should check out/bars we should stop in/parks we should walk around in/etc. to get a feel for the different neighborhoods. Right now, we'll be checking out:

West Ashley/Avondale
Wagner Terrace/Upper Peninsula
James Island

Any suggestions will be better than us just randomly driving around! If it helps, we're in our late 20s, coming from metro NYC area, looking for a somewhat "lively" area to live in (eg. good restaurants & bars close by).

We're also planning to spend a bit of time at the beach, so any suggestions for which one would be best the Thursday before Memorial Day would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 09:44 PM

3,856 posts, read 4,565,154 times
On James Island check out the Riverland Terrace area at the top of Maybank highway. The Pour House is a good night spot and the Terrace Theater is the best Charleston has to offer for an art cinema. Crust is a good place to eat as is Zia and How art Thou cafe is a nice laid back place with a decent beer selection.
Also check out the James Island County Park on Riverland Drive.

If you want the young crowd and a "lively" atmosphere, Folly is probably the beach you're looking for. They're all nice, just different.

Downtown, you'll see Hampton Park when you're in wagener terrace. Also check out the Battery at the tip of the peninsula. You could take a carriage ride or a walking tour of the downtown historic area if that interest you. It won't be where you might find a place to live though (unless you have a pretty fat wallet).

Old 04-23-2015, 07:06 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,527,211 times
For Avondale, definitely check out Pearlz happy hour. The same plaza also has Al Di La and Triangle Char & Bar, both are great places to eat.

For James Island, I'd add Charleston Crab House. The food is ok, but it's all about the location right on the water.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:21 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,040,879 times
I haven't eaten on James Island much, but from the few places I have been... none of them really stand out to me. I think the best dining options are Triangle Char-N-Bar and Al Di La in Avondale. Avondale also has Mellow Mushroom which is a chain but it's still fun. West Ashley and Downtown have great food in general. Wagener Terrace is a little far from the fancier places downtown, but you're super close to Moe's, Park Cafe, and Rutledge Cab Company. Lee Lee's Chinese is good too!

Old 04-23-2015, 07:42 PM

3,583 posts, read 4,322,180 times
Make the rush hour drive.

Last edited by IsNull; 04-23-2015 at 08:53 PM..

Old 04-23-2015, 08:38 PM

657 posts, read 734,114 times
I like the Avondale area so that gets my vote. JI is closer to folly though.

I highly second Pearlz happy hour. Do an oyster shooter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area