Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 04:19 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,596,699 times

Advertisements

If I remember correctly, the panels are figured to last 30 years. Unless you install them on a new 30 year roof, there's going to be a big expense to consider when it comes time to re-shingle the house with those panels up there.
A friend of mine has had solar panels on his roof on James Isl for as long as I can remember and he just added more. He was an "early adopter" and remains enthusiastic but is not necessarily someone for whom the financial numbers would have to add up to undertake such an experiment. My own house is too shaded, making it a moot point for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 05:04 AM

37 posts, read 40,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliderguy View Post

Also be careful with many of these rebates. The solar companies are not being upfront with you. Many issue a 1099 for your rebate. You have to pay taxes on those rebates.
Which rebates are you referring to? The only "rebates" we had were tax credits, so of course you don't pay tax on a tax credit.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:42 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,942,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post
Lack of great tax credits in Charleston = Huge upfront costs

Living in a hurricane prone area makes me a little nervous.
The hurricane thing is probably no big deal since it's just as insurable as any other part of the house.
Whenever a too good to be true deal comes along, I try and look at it from the perspective of what a business who actually pays people to figure out this stuff for them would do. Right now it appears that everybody from Walmart to Costco don't think it's worth it despite having every advantage to owning solar.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:45 AM

275 posts, read 430,482 times
If you read up on the solar forums or Google "solar rebate 1099" you will see that some rebates are available and they issue a 1099-MISC which is taxable. And in most cases the solar installer never mentioned it. Also if you live in an area where the electric company does buy back your electric that is taxable income and your electric company will also send you a 1099.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area