U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 10:30 AM

77 posts, read 66,596 times

Advertisements

Apparently, a motorist who allows another motorist to enter traffic in front of their car and that car subsequently is involved in a car accident can be charged with contributing to the accident. Can this possibly be true? Can that person also be sued in civil court?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 10:52 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,623,987 times
Makes sense to me. You're not a traffic cop, so who are you to stop the flow of traffic to let someone in? You cannot predict the actions of the cars behind you or oncoming.

You think you're being nice by stopping and letting people in. In fact, you're causing a very dangerous situation.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:07 PM

789 posts, read 1,056,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM712 View Post
Apparently, a motorist who allows another motorist to enter traffic in front of their car and that car subsequently is involved in a car accident can be charged with contributing to the accident. Can this possibly be true? Can that person also be sued in civil court?
Can you please cite the law you're referring to?

Old 04-28-2015, 01:29 PM

It is not an issue of disrupting the flow of traffic. If you are at a full stop at a red traffic light, the light turns green, you gesture to the motorist to turn into the street in front of you and they get into an accident you can be charged. If you are stopped at a red traffic light and there is another car waiting to pull out from a shopping center and you leave enough space between you and the car in front of you to allow the car to enter the road and motion to him to do so and they get into an accident you can be charged. If you arrive at a four way stop sign at the same time as another car and motion for them to proceed and they get in an accident you can be cited.

This was told to me this morning by a Summerville officer at an accident scene. Fortunately he told me to change my story and not mention I allowed the driver to enter the road in front of me.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:50 PM

519 posts, read 431,110 times
Quote:
Apparently, a motorist who allows another motorist to enter traffic in front of their car and that car subsequently is involved in a car accident can be charged with contributing to the accident.
I believe that is fairly standard approach across most (all) states.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:26 PM

288 posts, read 395,246 times
Quote:
This was told to me this morning by a Summerville officer at an accident scene. Fortunately he told me to change my story and not mention I allowed the driver to enter the road in front of me.
Wait, what? A police officer actually suggested you lie on an official report? Not just fudge some minor detail, but straight up lie? That's great for you personally, but really terrible overall.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:51 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,480,264 times
My husband does this all. the. time., and the confusion it often creates makes me absolutely crazy! He says he's just being considerate, implying of course that I have a heart of stone.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:40 PM

I'm from the northeast, we never extend this courtesy! I was pleasantly surprised...oh well, back to my NJ roots.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:23 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,480,264 times
Quote:
I'm from the northeast, we never extend this courtesy! I was pleasantly surprised...oh well, back to my NJ roots.
Oh, but my hub extended this courtesy all of our years up north, too. Up there it could turn into utter pandemonium. No one could figure out what the heck he was doing, and they didn't appreciate it one bit. I would just shield my eyes and duck my head.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:32 PM

I can't imagine the symphony of horn blowing and swearing that would follow that courtesy in the north!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or